Menu

Best Homeschooling Books (for Parents?)

Jay3fer

I thought it would be fun to see what books other parents felt had been most influential on their homeschooling.

So far, mine have been... (hmm, so tough to narrow it down!)

Weapons of Mass Instruction, John Taylor Gatto

When Children Love to Learn, by Elaine Cooper (it's long and dense, but the best practical, modern applications of Charlotte Mason's philosophies)

and, of course...

The Well-Trained Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer - and I'm not just pandering, I really do love it!

SO! What would you recommend I read next?

(preferably downloadable in Kobo form, but I'll read real books, too, if I must... :lol:)

We're just preschooling, but for me it all started with The Read-Aloud Handbook (which I'm now re-reading and reviewing on my blog), plus the Colfaxes' two books (Homeschooling for Excellence, which I read years ago, and Hard Times in Paradise, which I wish I'd read earlier because it's as informative in its own way).

My "sourcebooks" (so to speak) for the moment are Bright from the Start (ADORE THIS BOOK) and Teaching Montessori in the Home: the Preschool Years and, of course, WTM.

I just finished Meaningful Differences in the Everyday Lives of American Children (eye-opening!) and J. Richard Gentry's Raising Confident Readers: How to Teach Your Child to Read and Write--from Baby to Age 7, which seemed pretty smart and well-rounded (I was fearing a completely Glenn Doman-based approach).

I'm on my way out the door, but I had to add

"The Core" by Leigh Bortins, --another classical approach with useful practical suggestions

and

"Love in a Time of Homeschooling" by Laura Brodie. -- an autobiographical account of a mother who home schools one of her daughters for one year to reignight her education during a critical developmental year, and the impact it had on both of them. Instead of endless cheerleading about the superiority of home education, it was a very real book about the day to day successes and difficulties they encountered. Great book.

Bringing Up Geeks isn't homeschool per se either, but it certainly helped me put words to the vision I had for my kids (along with Hold On To Your Kids). I also like the Leadership Education books for ideas on how to make learning part of life, your daily routine, and your home as well as for insight into how to balance structure and interest-led learning.

The Simplicity of Homeschooling by Vicky GoodChild (older book but was one that I read quite a few times)

When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper

Educating the Wholehearted Child by Sally Clarkson

The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

Anything written by Ruth Beechick:

The 3 R's

You Can Teach Your Child Successfully

Biblical Home Education

The Homeschool Answer Book

"Love in a Time of Homeschooling" by Laura Brodie. -- an autobiographical account of a mother who home schools one of her daughters for one year to reignight her education during a critical developmental year, and the impact it had on both of them. Instead of endless cheerleading about the superiority of home education, it was a very real book about the day to day successes and difficulties they encountered. Great book.

This book is a wonderfully-written memoir, but I feel it gives a misleading picture of HS. For whatever reason, Ms. Brodie appeared not to get involved in *ANY* kind of HS group, co-op, classes, sports or art program, Scout or 4-H troop, etc. Then she put her kid back into PS because she felt that her DD needed more social interaction. Well, *DUH*. If you don't get involved with any of the numerous group HS activities, your kid probably won't get enough social interaction. That's not a problem with HS in general- but that's the impression Ms. Brodie leaves the reader unfamiliar with HS.

This book is a wonderfully-written memoir, but I feel it gives a misleading picture of HS. For whatever reason, Ms. Brodie appeared not to get involved in *ANY* kind of HS group, co-op, classes, sports or art program, Scout or 4-H troop, etc. Then she put her kid back into PS because she felt that her DD needed more social interaction. Well, *DUH*. If you don't get involved with any of the numerous group HS activities, your kid probably won't get enough social interaction. That's not a problem with HS in general- but that's the impression Ms. Brodie leaves the reader unfamiliar with HS.

:iagree:

I had very mixed feelings about that book. After reading a string of poorly written homeschool memoirs, it was a joy to find one so well done and easy to read. But her goals for homeschooling were so different from most people that she really didn't "get" a lot of the benefits as well as aspects of the homeschooling life as others. I wouldn't suggest it unless it was for someone specifically thinking of homeschooling short term.

:iagree:

I had very mixed feelings about that book. After reading a string of poorly written homeschool memoirs, it was a joy to find one so well done and easy to read. But her goals for homeschooling were so different from most people that she really didn't "get" a lot of the benefits as well as aspects of the homeschooling life as others. I wouldn't suggest it unless it was for someone specifically thinking of homeschooling short term.

I think you just have to take the book for what it is. It isn't a "how to" book on how to homeschool. Our homeschooling efforts look VERY different from hers. Yet what I appreciated was the honesty in it. She did some things that worked really well. She did (and said!) some things that didn't work so well. There were some real struggles involved in homeschooling a kid of that age, in addition to the benefits, and that translates whether you are homeschooling for one year or eighteen. Not beating yourself up over the setbacks, but reassessing and remembering what your goals are is something that is relevant regardless of the length of your homeschool venture. Many "long-term" homeschool parents do end up trying PS again at some point, and experience mixed feelings about it, and Ms. Brodie explores those. I don't anticipate doing that, but I found the topic interesting and it felt honestly portrayed.

Even though we are in it for the long haul, I felt there was good insight from the point of view of someone who was deliberately homeschooling for the short term and didn't necessarily see herself in an adversarial relationship with the local schools. I also really liked the "real" presentation of it. Despite their occasional struggles, they still liked each other in the end-- just like real families. Ms. Brodie didn't feel it necessary to portray themselves as "The Brady Bunch" to prove that "homeschooling just beats all." I guess that's kid of where I sit. We homeschool because it works well for us, but I don't think it makes us superior human beings to families who use the public schools or private schools. I don't think they love their kids any less or are any less dedicated as parents. Having experienced one truly superior public school system out in MN, I don't think all PS are evil, either. We also have a lot of great days, and a few days that I chalk up as "learning experiences." It's nice to see a HS book that talks about that in a straightforward, non-condescending fashion that doesn't sound as if it's being written by some self-styled expert, but just another parent like us.

I don't think your HS experience needs to look exactly like Ms. Brodie's in order to get something out of that well-written book. I would not want to model my kids' experience after hers-- as the PP's pointed out, there are opportunities she didn't use-- though I don't use all of those either (I don't do coops and don't plan to at this point, though we do do sports teams and classes at the local history museum and some other stuff). You can learn from people who make different choices from you. :)

I change my mind about so many things and partly read so many books but two books I'm glad I have read so far and continue to refer to regularly are The Latin Centered Curriculum and The Three R's (Beechick). I'm sure I'm missing some good ones and need to get more reading in (Educating the Whole-Hearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, When Children Love to Learn and Climbing Parnassus are all books I'm only part-way through).

Jen, I basically agree with your assessment of the book - but that's also why I wouldn't include it on a list of the best books for parents homeschooling. Unless maybe it was a list of the best homeschooling memoirs. Maybe. I guess I actually really liked it - my mixed feelings were more than Laura Brodie became a spokesperson for homeschooling briefly - she was all over the place in newspapers, magazines and prominent blogs when she wasn't really as versed in the issues as other people. Oh well, she wrote a nice book to read. But not essential reading from my point of view.

Jen, I basically agree with your assessment of the book - but that's also why I wouldn't include it on a list of the best books for parents homeschooling. Unless maybe it was a list of the best homeschooling memoirs. Maybe. I guess I actually really liked it - my mixed feelings were more than Laura Brodie became a spokesperson for homeschooling briefly - she was all over the place in newspapers, magazines and prominent blogs when she wasn't really as versed in the issues as other people. Oh well, she wrote a nice book to read. But not essential reading from my point of view.

I can really appreciate that point of view. I have a few ppl like that who I feel don't necessarily represent other key issues very well. I didn't have that background since I am newer to the HS world.

Honey for a Child's Heart By Gladys Hunt. This is the original book about books. Before Jim Trelease's Read-aloud handbook(which is also good) came about. It is less of an academic study and I prefer it of the 2.

The Geography chapter of The Core

The Well Trained Mind

Home learning year by year by Rebecca Rupp

Latin Centered Curriculum

The Liping Ma math book

Homeschooling for the rest of us by Sonja Haskins