Menu

Grading writing with a rubric?

I'm beginning to grade ds's writing this year. I have a basic rubric I want to use, however it only has 3 division of areas to grade. The rubric goes from 1-4 in those areas. So if he gets a 3 in the 3 areas and I grade it on straight percentage that knocks the paper automatically to 75%.

Since he's a delayed writer, this is a short basic essay. There is not enough to use a more detailed rubric, which I have. However, I think this paper is above a 75%.

Do you have any tips on grading with a rubric?

I'm beginning to grade ds's writing this year. I have a basic rubric I want to use, however it only has 3 division of areas to grade. The rubric goes from 1-4 in those areas. So if he gets a 3 in the 3 areas and I grade it on straight percentage that knocks the paper automatically to 75%.

Since he's a delayed writer, this is a short basic essay. There is not enough to use a more detailed rubric, which I have. However, I think this paper is above a 75%.

Do you have any tips on grading with a rubric?

Well, you could weight the different sections. Say you wanted to develop his use of a topic sentence and supporting statements, but expected his mechanics to be pretty solid. You might break out the different parts of the first (does is have a topic sentence, does it have supporting sentences, does it NOT have unrelated detail) as a way to give more credit for that concept. But you might grade harder on mechanics.

Or you could expand to a wider scale. Say 1-5 or 1-10.

Or you could give totally separate marks. Say one for style, one for format and one for mechanics.

Or you could reframe the thinking. Move away from a percentage that relates to pass or fail and give 3/4 points instead. Or allow a rewrite.