Menu

HOD users ~

JessReplanted

So, we are just starting Unit 2. And I think I love this curriculum. I love how it is all laid out in the book. I love how Bible centered it is and how we are all memorizing scripture. I love that we are doing so much art, history and science, and poetry.

The girls (4 & 5) are really enjoying Little Hearts. My 5 year old has endless enthusiasm and seems to love everything - except the Reddy Fox book. But I also think it's kind of boring... Do the animal books get better?

Noah (8 1/2) seems to like Preparing, but it is taking him a l o n g time every day. He is a naturally slow kid. But it is stressful to feel like I'm constantly having to stay on top of him - and try to work with the girls at the same time.

Preparing is challenging for him, but I think it's doable. I've started to think about next year though, and now I don't know what I'm going to do. I finally found a curriculum that I love, but it seems like the guides are spaced out too far. From what I've read about CTC, I don't think he'll be ready for it for 4th grade. So what in the world will I do for him for 4th grade.

Also, if I keep the girls going with HOD, they will be in the same situation.

Frustrating...

Has anyone found a solution to this? I've read about people doing the guides at 'half pace'. Is that really feasible?

Thanks!

:bigear: I am going to find myself in the same spot. My 7yo 2nd grader is doing Bigger but I'm worried about the coming years. I've been thinking if we get there and it's too much (who knows?) we'll do a year of mommy curriculum or try MFW for a year as filler. My 5th grader is getting much more from Bigger with the extensions. I'm thinking being on the older side might be a plus for him.

Agreeing with the pp... your son may be just a bit too young for Preparing.... even if he placed there according to the placement charts. There's something to be said for age and maturity. I know it says it's intended for ages 8-10 and your son falls within that range, but he's at the very young end of it. Bigger (w/extensions if needed) might have been a better fit for him as far as doability AND comfort zone. Also thinking about the long term plan. And I would agree that he probably won't be ready for CTC next year even if he does get through Preparing. That's a BIG jump between Preparing and CTC (IMO).

That said, if you stick it out with Preparing for the whole year, I would recommend looking at MFW for next year. ECC might be a great fit at that time.

Another idea is to go ahead and get ECC now and alternate between the two programs, spreading them out over two years. Taking Preparing at half speed or something like that.

You might try backing up a guide and putting him in Bigger. I placed my 10yo in Preparing LAST year and it was way too much writing for him and he couldn't keep up. If I had been smart, I would have purchased Bigger last year and did that with him. So, I purchased Bigger for him for THIS year and it is a much better fit. He will use the extentions. And this will put him in the right guide for each subsequent year. If you have the finances, purchase Bigger...I think I saw one on the board for sale...the right placement makes all the difference. Why frustrate yourself and him? :grouphug:

I am running into the same problem with ds.I was planning on half-speeding LHFHG, but it is way too babyish for him and he is not ready for Beyond. The History and storytime readers are OK, but he wont do all the rhymes and dramatic play, we are not using Singapore, and he wants way more Science than is given. So, I am not really using the guide. I am supplementing like crazy. This means he will hit Beyond in 1st, Bigger in 2nd, and then Preparing in 3rd which leaves me in the same situation you are in. I am hoping to half-speed a year in there somewhere.

Thankfully Preparing is prefect for my 4th grader. I do think HOD is great but not all kids fits squarely in a level so it can be hard.

I also wonder if Bigger would be a better fit. He's still in the age range for it. Abby (8) is doing Beyond with Kaylie (6) and I just have to do a little beefing up for her. You could do Bigger as is and it would probably be plenty, but you could use the extensions if you need more.

However....I'm sure you don't want to have to buy a whole new package at this point......

Agreeing with the pp... your son may be just a bit too young for Preparing.... even if he placed there according to the placement charts. There's something to be said for age and maturity. I know it says it's intended for ages 8-10 and your son falls within that range, but he's at the very young end of it. Bigger (w/extensions if needed) might have been a better fit for him as far as doability AND comfort zone. Also thinking about the long term plan. And I would agree that he probably won't be ready for CTC next year even if he does get through Preparing. That's a BIG jump between Preparing and CTC (IMO).

:iagree:

I think you could/should back him up to Bigger with Extensions, or slow down Preparing for him. Perhaps you could take it half speed for a few weeks, just letting him take two days to do all the writing, notebooking, reading, etc. but continue the regular pace for the basics if that's going well. I woudln't plug in another curriculum at that age. I'd just slow down...plugging in ECC after doing PHFHG would make the skills built in PHFHG a little rusty for starting CTC. It's meant to flow from one to the next, and ECC will definitely not address all the same skills as PHFHG and CTC.

This is an excellent thread from the HOD forum. You will find useful counsel as you consider your kiddos and placement. Read here The thread discusses running a guide half speed versus dropping back a guide and how to decide.

For what it's worth, we are beginning Preparing with my rising 3rd grader. He is nearly 9 and has never done the amount of writing asked of him in Preparing. My plan is to run that guide half speed indefinitely except we will do math daily, of course. Preparing is intended to be a 3rd/4th grade program (and could go higher if using extensions). With HOD, if you stay with it all the way through high school, you don't need to finish Preparing until the end of 4th grade. My intention is to run Preparing half speed indefinitely, moving up to full speed when my kiddo and I are ready. We don't need to worry about finishing Preparing until 4th grade. When we finish we'll move up to Creation to Christ, whenever that may be.

Admittedly, this past week, I've considered dropping back to Bigger. But, when we tested out Bigger he adjusted to the work load/writing demands right away. I wasn't confident that it would carry us all the way through the school year at an appropriate level for writing and other skill work. I could be way off on that though because I see value in using a skill daily for practice. I don't necessarily think it has to always be a huge challenge :D. I'm still pondering the dropping back a guide because I can (we have time without interrupting the flow of HOD). My guy is really excited about the content of Preparing though....

That thread I linked is excellent. I hope you'll read it.

The girls (4 & 5) are really enjoying Little Hearts. My 5 year old has endless enthusiasm and seems to love everything - except the Reddy Fox book. But I also think it's kind of boring... Do the animal books get better?

Yes they do. My dd had a hard time with them for the first half of the year she was 4 when we started, but she loves them now. I slowed her down a bit and she will be starting Beyond closer to 6. I will then have her do beyond and Bigger 4 days a week to stretch it out a bit. My 8 year old is doing Bigger Hearts and it is plenty challenging. As far as getting into the groove of your school day I always find that it takes me 3-4 weeks before things feel like they are running smoothly. For your ds I would consider slowing down to half speed for a little while at least until you get the hang of it. You could go back to Bigger and that would probably work great, but I'm sure money would be a factor with that. I also find that if you are coming to HOD(or any CM curriculum) after using something completely different there is going to be somewhat of a learning curve.

...plugging in ECC after doing PHFHG would make the skills built in PHFHG a little rusty for starting CTC. It's meant to flow from one to the next, and ECC will definitely not address all the same skills as PHFHG and CTC.

Actually, he would be fine skills-wise if he continues on to the next level of whatever math and English he's currently doing. If he stays the course with that while using ECC, he'll be fine for CTC the following year. ECC includes a lot of copywork, memorization, research skills, good literature (the Book Basket list in the back of the TM is pretty extensive and gives you a lot of choices), mapwork, nature study (which involves skills of observation, detail, patience, drawings, etc.), written and oral narrations, and many options for hands-on activities.... just like HOD does. ;) It does have a different "flavor", but the skills ARE there. The only thing you would need to add to ECC besides math and grammar (continuing with whatever he's currently using in those subjects), are spelling and formal composition. (MFW has different recommendations for those). But even those might not be necessary if you're following the CM methods and know how to teach them without "formal" curriculum.

Anyway, several good suggestions have been given in this thread, and integrating (or alternating with) ECC certainly isn't necessary. It's just one idea. But I did want to clarify about the use of skills in ECC and how it actually works. :)

(Editing to say please see the ages of my children. We've used MFW for a long time.... and I'm responding in this thread because we're also using two different levels of HOD this year. MFW and HOD actually complement one another very well.)

Edited by Donna A.

I am running into the same problem with ds.I was planning on half-speeding LHFHG, but it is way too babyish for him and he is not ready for Beyond. The History and storytime readers are OK, but he wont do all the rhymes and dramatic play, we are not using Singapore, and he wants way more Science than is given. So, I am not really using the guide. I am supplementing like crazy. This means he will hit Beyond in 1st, Bigger in 2nd, and then Preparing in 3rd which leaves me in the same situation you are in. I am hoping to half-speed a year in there somewhere.

I am in week 4 of LHFHG with my 5yo. We like it but he isn't a fan of the rhymes either. I am actually dividing them up over the week so we aren't doing the whole rhyme at a time. Last week it worked out perfectly....I just did the section that had to do with the Bible story for each day. He is asking for more science too so we got the Elemental Exploring science curriculum, which looks easy enough to add in without it being too much (on me or him). I am doing a 4 day week and hope to spread LHFHG and Beyond over a longer time span. We are at the bottom of the age bracket so I have some of the same concerns about being ready for the challenging older guides.

DS does like the Reddy Fox book. Sometimes to get him involved in the story I have him act things out as I am reading. When Reddy got hurt and was "lame", I had him show me what that looked like and he kinda limped and dragged his leg behind him (I think that was suggested in the guide). When Granny Fox was crawling around on her belly trying to sneak up on Peter Rabbit (that is who it was, right?), I had DS get on the ground and show me how to do that. Maybe that would help.

Edited by vtbowman

There is absolutely NO money to buy anything else... we barely had money to buy what we have.

We are really enjoying Preparing though. It is just the stress of it all that is getting to me - although I'm starting to think that it's just a part of my homeschooling life.

I'm just going to have to relax and take things day by day and make sure that we are biting off manageable chunks.

Thanks!

There is absolutely NO money to buy anything else... we barely had money to buy what we have.

We are really enjoying Preparing though. It is just the stress of it all that is getting to me - although I'm starting to think that it's just a part of my homeschooling life.

I'm just going to have to relax and take things day by day and make sure that we are biting off manageable chunks.

Thanks!

I totally understand we would not be able to just buy something else either. Honestly I would just slow it down to half speed until you get used to it, and then bump it up when you feel less overwhelmed. I find for myself the calmer I am when we start our school day the smoother things go. My attitude really rubs off on the kids. I wouldn't worry about whether or not he can handle CTC right now just handle Preparing for now, and you can re-evaluate next year. :grouphug:

Thanks for giving me 'permission' to slow down. At 2:30 when I was trying to pull him through history research I just stopped and told him that we would get through this tomorrow. We've been working hard since 9am and I'm exhausted.

My plan right now is to do Bible (verse/devotions)/math/language every day and then alternate the science work with the history work. Trying to pile it all on in one day feels like an overload.

Thanks for giving me 'permission' to slow down. At 2:30 when I was trying to pull him through history research I just stopped and told him that we would get through this tomorrow. We've been working hard since 9am and I'm exhausted.

My plan right now is to do Bible (verse/devotions)/math/language every day and then alternate the science work with the history work. Trying to pile it all on in one day feels like an overload.

I know I'm late coming into this, but I just wanted to let you know that I have a 10 yods doing Preparing this year and we are no where near getting a scheduled day's work done in one school day. We are on Day 16 of our school year and he just began Unit 3 Day 2 today. We're working from about 8:30 to 2:30 or so and whatever doesn't get done is just rolling over to the next day.

Today was a great day because we managed to do a vocabulary assignment and an oral narration in science with no tears!

I'm thankful that Preparing is a four-day plan because right now it's taking us at least five days and sometimes longer to get through the four-day plan.

This is an excellent thread from the HOD forum. You will find useful counsel as you consider your kiddos and placement. Read here The thread discusses running a guide half speed versus dropping back a guide and how to decide.

For what it's worth, we are beginning Preparing with my rising 3rd grader. He is nearly 9 and has never done the amount of writing asked of him in Preparing. My plan is to run that guide half speed indefinitely except we will do math daily, of course. Preparing is intended to be a 3rd/4th grade program (and could go higher if using extensions). With HOD, if you stay with it all the way through high school, you don't need to finish Preparing until the end of 4th grade. My intention is to run Preparing half speed indefinitely, moving up to full speed when my kiddo and I are ready. We don't need to worry about finishing Preparing until 4th grade. When we finish we'll move up to Creation to Christ, whenever that may be.

Admittedly, this past week, I've considered dropping back to Bigger. But, when we tested out Bigger he adjusted to the work load/writing demands right away. I wasn't confident that it would carry us all the way through the school year at an appropriate level for writing and other skill work. I could be way off on that though because I see value in using a skill daily for practice. I don't necessarily think it has to always be a huge challenge :D. I'm still pondering the dropping back a guide because I can (we have time without interrupting the flow of HOD). My guy is really excited about the content of Preparing though....

That thread I linked is excellent. I hope you'll read it.

Thanks for sharing this thread! I have done a lot of reading over at that forum, but I had never come across this thread.

It's not a bad idea to spread out Preparing over a longer time - actually, Charlotte Mason might have used the materials for a much longer time than HOD schedules them for. If you look at Ambleside Online, you'll see how books are spread over terms and some over years, read slowly, a chapter or two a week, with lots of literature, nature reading and classics mixed in. You could easily take Preparing at a slower pace, and check a list like AO to add in other reading (don't forget to look down a level or two also - AO is very rigorous). If you look at the weekly schedules, they might give you an idea of how things could be set up using Preparing more slowly.

We are using CTC with two ds 11, and while I believe they're placed correctly, we're adjusting things also, to fit how we do things around here: we are using a different science book for the first few months, I'm eliminating a lot of busiwork and requiring an oral narration for each reading, and we're using our own LA program (Intermediate Language Lessons). I'm also using books from AO's lists as readers and skipping DITHOR, as I believe reading and oral narration are enough. Just my opinion, FWIW. Whatever you do, try not to worry! Slow down to what feels right, trust yourself, and have some fun with it.

Actually, he would be fine skills-wise if he continues on to the next level of whatever math and English he's currently doing. If he stays the course with that while using ECC, he'll be fine for CTC the following year. ECC includes a lot of copywork, memorization, research skills, good literature (the Book Basket list in the back of the TM is pretty extensive and gives you a lot of choices), mapwork, nature study (which involves skills of observation, detail, patience, drawings, etc.), written and oral narrations, and many options for hands-on activities.... just like HOD does. ;) It does have a different "flavor", but the skills ARE there. The only thing you would need to add to ECC besides math and grammar (continuing with whatever he's currently using in those subjects), are spelling and formal composition. (MFW has different recommendations for those). But even those might not be necessary if you're following the CM methods and know how to teach them without "formal" curriculum.

Anyway, several good suggestions have been given in this thread, and integrating (or alternating with) ECC certainly isn't necessary. It's just one idea. But I did want to clarify about the use of skills in ECC and how it actually works. :)

(Editing to say please see the ages of my children. We've used MFW for a long time.... and I'm responding in this thread because we're also using two different levels of HOD this year. MFW and HOD actually complement one another very well.)

Not totally true, b/c the skills are somewhat similar but take a totally different approach and teach them with different goals and methods in mind. It would break between the smooth transition from PHFHG to CTC...including the work load he takes on in the I boxes of PHFHG that help that transition into the I boxes of CTC. MFW takes a much more classical approach and also doesn't have the same step by step guidance of HOD in achieving oral and written narrations, and the end result of those is actually quite different (with MFW having a more summary type goal and HOD having a more CM type goal). The two are mostly only similar in that they are Christian lit based programs. I just feel it would be a less than connected feeling changing between the two like that, after having used both myself. If he did complete PHFHG and finished strong, he could go right into CTC. I'd just consider slowing down a bit over flip flopping and breaking it up. Those skills may be there, but not the same... consider the writing for example. the methods used in HOD are FAR different than MFW. Lit study is as well. There is no spelling program but instead well planned studied dictation. It just seems there would be a fall back on certain skills, an interruption for a year as those are taught totally differently, and then another adjustment as he relearns how to do them the way he was originally learning. Both good programs, just rather different.

Not totally true, b/c the skills are somewhat similar but take a totally different approach and teach them with different goals and methods in mind. It would break between the smooth transition from PHFHG to CTC...including the work load he takes on in the I boxes of PHFHG that help that transition into the I boxes of CTC. MFW takes a much more classical approach and also doesn't have the same step by step guidance of HOD in achieving oral and written narrations, and the end result of those is actually quite different (with MFW having a more summary type goal and HOD having a more CM type goal). The two are mostly only similar in that they are Christian lit based programs. I just feel it would be a less than connected feeling changing between the two like that, after having used both myself. If he did complete PHFHG and finished strong, he could go right into CTC. I'd just consider slowing down a bit over flip flopping and breaking it up. Those skills may be there, but not the same... consider the writing for example. the methods used in HOD are FAR different than MFW. Lit study is as well. There is no spelling program but instead well planned studied dictation. It just seems there would be a fall back on certain skills, an interruption for a year as those are taught totally differently, and then another adjustment as he relearns how to do them the way he was originally learning. Both good programs, just rather different.

Yes, I did say they have a different "flavor". But that doesn't negate the fact that MFW *does* teach dictation, lit study, narrations, etc. To be perfectly honest, Charlotte Mason wouldn't have used a "program" like DITHOR for lit study. She also wouldn't have used a formal grammar program OR a formal composition program at this age. If one reads Miss Mason's own writings, which can be found at http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html one can learn how to teach all of the same skills that are provided in HOD without "formal" programs.

So to say that MFW doesn't "teach" these things just simply isn't true. MFW just uses different resources and techniques than HOD does. But it's just another way of building the same skills over a long period of time.

I've been homeschooling for 11 years, have used MFW for several of those years with multiple ages (we're into high school now), have used/and or studied HOD off and on for 3-4 years, using two of the HOD programs right now (including one of which is beyond Preparing, but I've used some of Preparing as well, and still own it), and we're going through ECC as a group for the second time now. I have just a *bit* of experience under my belt and I *do* know what I'm talking about. ;)

To the OP.... Slowing down with Preparing is a nice way to be able to enjoy the program while still progressing forward. We're having to do the same thing here with Bigger. :)

Just another idea: Do geography/cultures next year. Then do CTC.

We did Bigger last year and are doing Preparing this year with 8.5 yo dd (K dd is tagging along). Things went smoothly last year and are going fine this year (we are on unit 5). We substitute Apologia for science, FLL for R&S, and are ahead in math. I love everything about the HOD programs!!!! Next year, I am doing a geography/cultures program a la me. We will stick with Singapore math, spelling dictation, and narrations. This plan will allow my 1st grade dd and my 4th grade dd to be on the same history thread. After geo/cultures, we will do CTC and I will modify it for my 2nd grade dd.

I hope everything falls into place for your family!

Just another idea: Do geography/cultures next year. Then do CTC.

We did Bigger last year and are doing Preparing this year with 8.5 yo dd (K dd is tagging along). Things went smoothly last year and are going fine this year (we are on unit 5). This plan will allow my 1st grade dd and my 4th grade dd to be on the same history thread. After geo/cultures, we will do CTC and I will modify it for my 2nd grade dd.

I would LOVE to hear more about how you accomplish combining your children in HOD (especially adding in little ones to the guides that are meant to be above their level). What is your K level son doing from Preparing? How will you modify CTC to make it accessible to your then 2nd grader? This kind of altering the way HOD was meant to work is a big NO NO on the HOD forum, so I'm glad that we can discuss it here. :001_smile:

:bigear:

(If you'd rather chat via email, send me a PM.)

I am in week 4 of LHFHG with my 5yo. We like it but he isn't a fan of the rhymes either. I am actually dividing them up over the week so we aren't doing the whole rhyme at a time. Last week it worked out perfectly....I just did the section that had to do with the Bible story for each day. He is asking for more science too so we got the Elemental Exploring science curriculum, which looks easy enough to add in without it being too much (on me or him). I am doing a 4 day week and hope to spread LHFHG and Beyond over a longer time span. We are at the bottom of the age bracket so I have some of the same concerns about being ready for the challenging older guides.

DS does like the Reddy Fox book. Sometimes to get him involved in the story I have him act things out as I am reading. When Reddy got hurt and was "lame", I had him show me what that looked like and he kinda limped and dragged his leg behind him (I think that was suggested in the guide). When Granny Fox was crawling around on her belly trying to sneak up on Peter Rabbit (that is who it was, right?), I had DS get on the ground and show me how to do that. Maybe that would help.

DS hates the Rhymes, dramatic play and the Science. I got Elemental Science for him also and we will start that next week. He wants to read way more of the History than the little section they schedule so we will be done with that in no time. I ordered Elemental American History also. I like that it has little projects too. He does 4-5 pages of the Rod and Staff books a day plus handwriting. DS likes hands on projects and worksheets galore. He loves the Storytime books at least! We are using MM so I only do some of the Math activities. I am really not using much of the guide. I think he will like Beyond when he is ready for it though. I am also doing a 4 day week because dd is in Preparing. I think I will just limp along taking what I want from the guide and supplementing until he is ready for Beyond. :001_smile:

Yes, I did say they have a different "flavor". But that doesn't negate the fact that MFW *does* teach dictation, lit study, narrations, etc. To be perfectly honest, Charlotte Mason wouldn't have used a "program" like DITHOR for lit study. She also wouldn't have used a formal grammar program OR a formal composition program at this age. If one reads Miss Mason's own writings, which can be found at http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html one can learn how to teach all of the same skills that are provided in HOD without "formal" programs.

So to say that MFW doesn't "teach" these things just simply isn't true. MFW just uses different resources and techniques than HOD does. But it's just another way of building the same skills over a long period of time.

I've been homeschooling for 11 years, have used MFW for several of those years with multiple ages (we're into high school now), have used/and or studied HOD off and on for 3-4 years, using two of the HOD programs right now (including one of which is beyond Preparing, but I've used some of Preparing as well, and still own it), and we're going through ECC as a group for the second time now. I have just a *bit* of experience under my belt and I *do* know what I'm talking about. ;)

To the OP.... Slowing down with Preparing is a nice way to be able to enjoy the program while still progressing forward. We're having to do the same thing here with Bigger. :)

I'm not insulting you or saying you don't know what you're talking about or saying MFW doesn't teach those skills, they are just taught through very different methods and with a different goal in mind. I'd say HOD doesn't teach composition with a formal program until 5th/6th grade with CTC. Prior to that, it's very CM. MFW uses Writing Strands starting very early, and when HOD does introduce composition formally, it chooses programs that allow the child to mimic the style of excellent authors (not anything like Writing strands) and is much more CM friendly. I do know you have a few more years under your belt than I do (I'm just starting my 7th) but I have used all the guides up to the first several units of PHFHG. And I've also used a few levels of MFW, including ECC. I honestly don't think the skills are the same, though they have the same name. Just like classical dictation and classical narration are quite different from the CM version of the same thing. The different techniques, methods, and program choices are enough to make it not much the same. I think grammar is the only thing HOD introduces more formally earlier than CM advocated. But, it's done gently and still held off until grades 2 or 3. Then the path with R&S is taken more slowly than classical circles prefer.

I'm not bashing the program, I just wanted to put my thoughts out there for the OP...I wouldn't stick another program in without making it flow much more like where I'm coming from if I planned to return to it as not to disrupt my child's progress. That's just my thoughts. Not a debate.

MFW uses Writing Strands starting very early,

They recommend starting a composition program at 4th grade. I don't consider that "very early". And it doesn't have to be WS... that's just the one they recommend partly for the sake of cost, and partly for the sake of time efficiency. Families with many children and/or in ministry are busy and don't have 6-8 hours a day for academics, especially where young children are concerned. Thus, their math and LA recs are based partly on that philosophy. The Hazells' long term focus is on ministry, so their curriculum is put together with that in mind.

IOW, the differences between HOD and MFW don't go back to whether or not one is more CM than the other, or more classical than the other, or has "better" recommendations for grammar, composition, etc. Both have "very good" recommendations based upon one's personal preferences, budget, and time, and both will accomplish the academic goal by college. Rather, the differences go back to what the goals are for our families, and the philosophy that the author had in mind when she wrote the curriculum.

And I've also used a few levels of MFW, including ECC.
Anything beyond ECC? Of course your minimal experience with MFW is valuable.... if it didn't meet your needs, that's fine. But when someone who hasn't used it long term and doesn't really KNOW how the skills play out all the way through middle school and high school, it's only fair that someone who HAS more experience with that curriculum have a chance to better explain it without repeatedly being told she's wrong. :glare:

Not a debate.
Well, hhmm... I simply offered one more option for the OP for just ONE YEAR, but only one person here has told her why she shouldn't choose that option based on its supposed faults. :confused: Conversely, I never told the OP that she should drop or avoid HOD. She asked for ideas for how to tweak it and think ahead, and I offered one. Period.

But you know what? The OP has already stated that buying another program right now isn't an option, anyway, so why are we continuing this ummm... debate? Because we both know that it will come up again in a different HOD/MFW thread. :lol:

I would LOVE to hear more about how you accomplish combining your children in HOD (especially adding in little ones to the guides that are meant to be above their level). What is your K level son doing from Preparing? How will you modify CTC to make it accessible to your then 2nd grader? This kind of altering the way HOD was meant to work is a big NO NO on the HOD forum, so I'm glad that we can discuss it here. :001_smile:

:bigear:

(If you'd rather chat via email, send me a PM.)

Chat here (or new thread). I am interested too! :D

Anything beyond ECC? Of course your minimal experience with MFW is valuable.... if it didn't meet your needs, that's fine. But when someone who hasn't used it long term and doesn't really KNOW how the skills play out all the way through middle school and high school, it's only fair that someone who HAS more experience with that curriculum have a chance to better explain it without repeatedly being told she's wrong. :glare:

Only, your long term experience isn't any better than my shorter term experience in a case of someone only wishing to use it short term. No, I didn't use past ECC (no any time worth mentioning anyway). I couldnt' take it anymore...was too dry and dull and repetitive for my personal taste...and I didn't have half the things it called for anywhere in my house! LOL It didn't fit me or my kids at all. Anyway...that's just us though.

The long term goal of MFW isn't important for sticking it in for a year. KWIM? I'm not debating that it's not a good program! LOL I'm just thinking there's got to be a better idea that sticking in something that isn't in line with the program you do wish to use long term :) MFW is a solid program and is very similar and very different than HOD.