Menu

apples...apples...too many apples!!!

a friend of our have given us A HUGE bunch of apples. I made applesauce, pie filling and dehydrated a bunch of them..but I still have more BUT I am tired of cutting, slicing, peeling, ( and I even have an apple corer, peeler, slicer) canning them....I am looking for a SUPER easy way to freezing them and then how to use them once they are frozen. I am thinking there must be a way to freeze them whole, halved or quartered....peelings on them...and then a clever way to use them. Please help if you can!!!

I would figure out what you need to make an apple pie and freeze them accordingly (or what ever is your favorite baked apple recipe). There are baked apples where you core them (leave peel on) and put brown sugar and butter inside them.

Now can you help me with pears - they don't freeze and we can't can. We only have two choices - bake them into a quick bread or put in fridge in some type of alcohol (brandy).

I'm afraid when I freeze them, they still need to be processed. Sorry. :(

You can freeze your applesauce. I made two big batches last year at this time, and froze it in 2c bags. (Quart bags would work, but we have a Seal-a-meal that we use). The applesauce is a tasty treat in the middle of winter; try it on vanilla ice cream with pecans!

With your handy-dandy peeler/corer, enlist your kids to help you process the apples. If you are sneaky, you can do this during a playdate, and their friends will help turn the crank. (Bwahahahaha!! Child labor at it's best!!!:D:D:D) Ask me how I know this works. :D

Once the apples are processed, pre-measure them into the amounts that you would need for your favorite recipes. For example, do you need 3c for a pie? Pre-measure into a ziplock bag, and label the bag: 3c apples, 9/2011. How many cups for apple crisp?

The bags can be frozen until you will need them in the middle of winter to make a tasty pan of apple crisp for a stormy January night of board games and cocoa!

I've also frozen and defrosted whole pies already made, but I think you've got enough to do already without the extra labor today.

Do you happen to have a vitamix blender or other powerful blender? Core the apples (we have the little tool to do it) and chuck the entire thing in the blender, peel and all if organic or at least reasonably sure no pesticides. Process them with a little water if needed = raw applesauce. Then freeze it. It does save me the step of cooking it, and the peel is totally mixed it and indistinguishable when we eat it using our Vitamix.

Edited to add: Some people say in the vitamix the core can go in too but I haven't tried it personally.

please share your recipe.

Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking powder

1 Tbs. brown sugar

2 cups milk

2 eggs, well beaten

2 Tbs. vegetable oil

1 cup pared and diced apple

Sugar, cinnamon and melted butter for topping.

In large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. In smaller bowl, combine milk, eggs and oil. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Stir in chopped apples. Cook just as you would any pancakes. Serve drizzled with melted butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar mixture. Yum!

These are my son's favorite breakfast food. :001_smile:

Are we talking root cellar?

Half of my basement is dirt floor/stone walls and stays cool and damp.

Do I have to do anything special with them? Should I wash them first or will they last better if I don't? Should I put them in paper bags/ boxes/ plastic bags/ plastic bins/on open shelves? Will the critters go after them?

How long will they last?

If you still have apples left and have a KitchenAid fruit grinder/strainer, you don't have to peel the apples. I like to core the apples using an OXO corer, cook them down, and put them through the strainer. The strainer catches the peel. It's easy-to-make applesauce, especially if you've been using the apple peeler/corer/slicer machine (that thing gives me fits when I'm trying to can apples).

Oh, and make apple butter. It uses up more apples than applesauce. Take your applesauce made above, add sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Stick it in the crockpot until it reduces. Your house will smell SO good.

We buy a case of apples at the orchard every Sept and store them in the basement (stays around 50 degrees all winter) for quite a while. They usually last for 6-8 weeks and are still good when we use the last one. (We store them in the cardboard box they come in)