Menu

Email from Paypal re personal payments

First, let me note that I have not contacted paypal for any reason about personal vs. non-personal payments. However, yesterday I received this email. It clearly states that receiving payments for purchases violates paypal rules. I am only posting this as info.

EMAIL CONTENTS:

We recently changed our pricing so that all PayPal customers can receive

money from friends and family within the US/CA for free. PayPal

merchants receiving money as payment for a purchase, continue to incur

fees.

We’re not sure if you are aware of this, but we noticed that some of

your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases.

Unfortunately, this violates our rules, and we need your help correcting this. Please don’t ask or allow your customers to use personal payments to pay for their purchases.

If we continue to see such activity, we may have to disable your ability

to receive personal payments, and then you will pay fees for all money

received through PayPal.

You can find more information about payment types and fees in our User

Agreement – just click “Legal Agreements†at the bottom of any PayPal

page.

If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a

mistake, please contact us at P2P@paypal.com. Thank you for helping us

resolve this matter.

So they monitor every account? That would be a lot of accounts to keep tabs on to know if they are receiving personal payments or not. Are most of your buyers sending payments that way? I know for awhile it was kinda popular. But, then people were getting away from it because of no buyer protection (or something like that).

I would regard that email with extreme caution. I did not notice any glaring grammatical or spelling errors but that does not necessarily eliminate some sort of phishing as a possiblity. However I am the suspicious sort with regard to that sort of thing.:D

I did contact paypal to determine the validity of the email. The response was that it is valid.

So they monitor every account? That would be a lot of accounts to keep tabs on to know if they are receiving personal payments or not. Are most of your buyers sending payments that way? I know for awhile it was kinda popular. But, then people were getting away from it because of no buyer protection (or something like that).

There is no protection for either buyer or seller. However, some sellers on the board specifically state "personal paypal or you pay fees." I normally do not accept it, but I was not aware there was a rule about it, I will no longer accept it, nor use it for a purchase. The fees (to me) are miniscule, and I would rather a seller include that in the price. So when something says "ppd" that includes EVERYTHING. I have had a seller ask me to add on $1 or more for the fees that I know are a few cents. Honestly, I usually don't even deal with these sellers. It's not worth the hassle, and then I feel I am getting ripped off. This is just the way I prefer to deal with it, not trying to start a debate. Each to his/her own.

It's a bit weird that you would be told that you'd received personal payments for purchases -- how would they even know? But it's good that they are writing a courteous email instead of an accusatory one.

:iagree: How do they know what is personal and not personal? Oh well, that is why I don't like paypal. I take it anyway when I do sell, but still don't like paypal. :)

We’re not sure if you are aware of this, but we noticed that some of

your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases.

How do they know why people are sending you money? If I go to Paypal, and click on "send money," then click on the personal tab, I don't get an option to indicate that I am making a purchase. I get these choices: gift, living expense, payment owed, cash advance, other.

Are there different types of accounts, i.e. business vs. personal, that are different?

It is in a buyer's best interest to use the Purchase tab rather than the Personal tab. If the goods are not delivered or something else goes wrong with the transaction, the buyer has no recourse if the Personal tab was used. Paypal will help out in problems that arise in Purchase transactions.

The fee for the buyer to use Paypal is 2.9% + 30-cents per transaction (as a Purchase). This equals 59-cents on a $10 transaction, and $1.17 on a $30 transaction.