Menu

Chinese?

The tones are close-to-impossible for non native speakers to hear unless they are given a great deal of coaching. You could develop an awful lot of dreadful habits studying at home which would damage learning once you reach the CC.

The tones really matter. The sentence 'ta ma wo ma ma chi ma de ma' means 'He/she/it scolds my mother's hemp-eating horse.' Each of the 'ma' sounds has a different character and is 'sung' to a different tone. If you don't learn the tones correctly when you are learning the characters, then you are not expressing the meaning.

Do you have any local overseas students who might want to earn a little by tutoring? There are also online courses where teachers in China tutor over the internet.

Best wishes

Laura

Georgia Virtual School has two years' of Chinese available, but I do not know the policy on non-Georgians taking it. My daughter took Chinese IA (first semester of Chinese I) last year (for free, since we are in Georgia), but she has had a Chinese tutor at home for several years. It would be impossible for her to tell how doable the class would have been without that background, but with her background, the class was relatively easy but quite helpful. The class does have a weekly conversation component where the instructor converses with each student individually, as I would imagine any online Chinese class would have, so I would not necessarily rule out Chinese if you do not have access to a live tutor.

My daughter plans to take the other three semesters that are available, but we are saving them until next year, when she may attend the local magnet program for high school.

I believe that online Chinese programs are also available through Johns Hopkins' gifted program.

ETA: Out-of-state students can take GaVS classes: http://www.gavirtualschool.org/Educators/OutofState.aspx

Terri

Edited by plansrme
Looked up out-of-state policy for GaVS

Pimsleur is good. It's all aural, so it might be nice to start with that, seeing as Chinese is very much in the tones. (Check your library.)

When I took Chinese in college, the whole first semester was aural and using something similar to pinyin. We didn't start characters until the 2nd semester. The books we used were

Speak Chinese

and

Read Chinese

put out by Yale University Press.

I don't know that the Speak Chinese book is any better than anything else out there. I do like the Read Chinese book. However, it uses traditional characters, which are kind of not in vogue right now (so I hear from the kids at the local Chinese immersion school).

If you want a workbook type thing, you could use The First 100 Chinese Characters:

http://www.amazon.com/First-100-Chinese-Characters-Simplified/dp/0804838305/ref=pd_sim_b_11

BTW - my experience in taking Chinese was not that us English speakers couldn't hear the tones. We could hear the tones and reproduce them just fine. We just couldn't remember what tones went with what meaning. And we tended to speak in a monotone because we didn't want to get it wrong. Or we "over-toned" and sounded like idiots.

I don't think there'd be much problem with starting Chinese on one's own, just so long as you're aware of the problem.

Edited by emubird

You could check to see if you local public library offers Mango for free--many do.

My kids are self-studying Mandarin using Mango, but we are looking into finding a tutor and having them take class at a Chinese language institute affiliated with our local state U as well.

I did look into online tutors and they were asking over $20 per hour per child. This seemed high to me, but perhaps we will find local tutors are just as much.

Quiver, my friend who works in China sent me a terrific text Chinese for High School Students ISBN 978-7-107-226281. The problem is, I can't find you an american vendor when I search. If you can find one, it seems like a very good text. It comes with a cd.

Thanks. I will see if I can find a copy.