Menu

Your new curriculum for 2011/2012

vlgimmelli

I'm continuing with Oak Meadow. Used it with dd for 4th and 5th grades, and this year I'm using it for 6th with her and K with my son.

I like it for my daughter because it's hands-on, creative, non-dry/textbookish, integrates a lot of subjects and ties them in with living books, hands on activities, and choices of interesting writing assignments, etc.

I like it for my son because it is not overly academic in the earliest years and is more creative and Waldorf-inspired and exactly what I picture Kindergarten and 1st grade should be.

:)

I supplement a bit but that's my main curriculum and I'm pretty committed to using it at least through 8th grade for both of them for all subjects except math, and with some other minor supplementing as mentioned (for example we do SOTW because it's fun).

I use a variety of different things. I could never bring myself to spend the money to buy a whole packaged curriculum, and none ever seemed 'just right' for what I was looking for. So I just pick and choose and make my own schedule for things. You can see my main curriculum materials in my signature.

We are using RS math because it is the most fun/interesting math curriculum I could find. We switched from Saxon because it was boring me to tears and my older DS didn't like the repetition.

We are (reluctantly) using Phonics for Reading and Spelling (mostly for spelling) because although it's dry, it is an extremely thorough program.

I chose RSO after buying several over curriculums including RS4K and NL. I like how flexible and accurate it is.

SOTW because it is so FUN and we can get as in-depth (or not) as we want to in each chapter.

OPGTR - This is on order. I am hoping that it will replace PRS for the learning to read portion.

ETC- My kids LOVE the worksheets and the repetition really helps solidify the material in their minds.

HWT- Because DS2 is a little worksheet lover and I think that the cutesy ways of remembering how to form the letters will really resonate with him.

I too piece my own together, following basically a Charlotte Mason type of education. I choose the materials to support my homeschooling goals, and to meet the individual needs of my kids. I enjoy putting all the bits and pieces I collect into a more cohesive whole.

You can see the bulk of our curriculum choices for the year in my signature.

Piecing together here too. DS is asynchronous, so the boxed curricula just won't work well for him. They're either too easy, or the output required is too much.

We're using...

Math Mammoth, with a side of Singapore IP and CWP and occasional Primary Challenge Math (Zaccaro) - MM is easy for me to teach (it's all right there in the student text), it's easy to accelerate (which DS needed), it's inexpensive (since we have used 4 levels in the last year, this was a good thing!), it's reusable for my other children, I can print it out again if we spill chocolate milk on it :D, it teaches conceptual understanding similar to the way Singapore does, it also teaches the standard algorithms very well. It's not perfect, but we're happy with it.

First Language Lessons - I like this program because a lot of it is oral. Even working one grade level up, the writing output is not too much at all. The lessons are short and sweet, yet very effective.

Writing With Ease - I have a reluctant writer for whom the physical act of writing is the hard part. SWB's writing philosophy matches him perfectly and is working very well for him.

BJU Science - I needed a textbook this year to just get science done. It's going decently, although next year I plan to try Elemental Science Chemistry. I think DS will enjoy that more, as it will have more experiments.

Getty-Dubay Italics - My son liked the cursive font. I learned the font myself and really liked it too. My handwriting looks so much nicer since switching to this from regular cursive. I'm no longer embarrassed to write cursive! :D

For spelling, we're in limbo... We used All About Spelling levels 1-3. The program is excellent, but just too slow for DS. I got a used copy of 4th edition WRTR and tried that. He enjoyed marking the words, but it doesn't include dictation. We're now trying Wheeler's Elementary Speller, which is free on Google books. It's going well so far, but we've only done through lesson 5, so who knows if we'll stick with it long term. ;)

R.E.A.L. Homeschool Spanish - Picked this up on HSBC for pretty cheap. I love that it's PDF format. So far, it's going well. We just started unit 2.

For the little one (when he wants to)..

Singapore Essential Math K - Lovely program with some interesting pages. Even the pages where you pick the object that is different can have more than one answer, so it encourages you to ask why that one is different. Book A is pretty easy (somewhat preK-ish), but book B ramps up by the end.

Explode the Code - This is a pretty simple workbook and it's pretty repetitive in the types of activities done, but DS enjoys it.

Webster's Speller - The syllabary is awesome for early reading. :D

Ambleside Online Year 3 (as written, but without any religious books) and Teaching Textbooks Math 7.

Other books/programs we'll use include Simply Grammar, Writing Strands, ScienceSaurus, Spelling Skills 5, Instant Immersion Spanish, several books from the middle school level "Basic Series" (geography, life science, economics, government, map skills), and the Outdoor Hour Challenges from handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com. Plus we're doing several field trips (w/classes, tours, & projects) each month.

Ds is 10 and starting 5th grade. I'm so excited to get started! We start on Sep 12.

What is BSFU??? Great book??

Is it cheaper buying all ver the place from different publishers or buying an entire curriculum from one publisher?? Just curious.

I can't answer your question about BSFU, but I find it to be cheaper to buy all over. I can figure out which supplemental history books I have on hand and slot them into my own schedule a lot cheaper than buying from Sonlight or a similar publisher. I buy as much used as I can and buy my standard sort of materials (Wordly Wise, Handwriting Without Tears, etc) from Rainbow Resource or Christian Book Distributors, whichever has the best price. Then I try to buy direct from as many small publishers as I can (SOTW, MOH, etc); even if it costs a bit more, I like to support the little guys.

We use Heart of Dakota with Math U See. It's a good fit for both of us and we enjoy it. We'll continue with Reading Reflex for now. And, we also use Bible Study Guide for All Ages. We started it last year and ds loves it. We only use the worksheets since HOD has some Bible study in it. One side per day 4 days a week is working great.

Is it cheaper buying all ver the place from different publishers or buying an entire curriculum from one publisher?? Just curious.

I've found it to be about the same because I buy used whenever possible. If we continue with HOD through high school it will likely be more expensive that what I used for my now graduate. I pieced his. It worked- but was a lot of work. I'm appreciating having the work done for me with HOD, plus it's flexible enough I can switch up if I want (like using MUS for math).

I bought all over the place. I found good deals on SM on eBay, R&S grammar used from here, SOTW used through my support group, and science new from convention (big discount for buying there, plus free shipping). Spelling Plus and Dictation came from Amazon. Our Kingfisher history encyclopedia was $4 onAmazin Market Place. I did spend the big bucks for CC Foundations. We are doing this at home. We will use it for 6 years per kid....I have 2. That is 9 years (more if we add to the family!)

I have also spent quite a bit on the Target dollar aisle getting games, workbook, and flashcards by A+. They are great!

I think piercing it together can be a lot cheaper if you are not in a hurry. I started looking in March and started purchasing in May. I had everything well before our August 1 start date.

We're all over the place this year.

Language Arts: LLATL 6

Reading: Moving Beyond The Page literature guides

Spelling: Sequential Spelling and Word Roots

History: History Odyssey

Science: Noeo Physics II with Milestones in Science as a supplement

Math: MUS Zeta

Bible: Chronological Study Bible with the secular bible study someone linked here.

It's often cheaper to buy from one publisher, but that's not always the case. It just depends on how they are set up. I'd rather buy from companies that specialize in one or two subjects than from a company that tries to spread themselves out too thin. Many of the boxed sets I've gravitated to follow the same philosophy. They will publish their own guides but use books and aids from several sources, or they will put out one or two subjects and offer choices of curricula for other subjects to go with. You can certainly buy quality materials at a low cost or even get them free when you pull together your own materials instead of having a company do it for you.

We are using the Starfall kindergarten curriculum. I really like it because it's very gentle and covers many subjects. We are only on week 3, but DD is thriving under it and has been very interested in everything presented to her.

For math, we are doing MEP because it's free. I think it's a bit too gentle for DD, but I also think that it's laying a solid foundation. I've read here that it ramps up quickly once you get to first grade. We are already 1/4 of the way through K (reception) so I plan to keep going until it gets too hard, and then switching to workbooks and activity books (like Count On Math) until shes ready for harder concepts.