Menu

What science accessories do you have?

cloversandlions

I'm interested in hearing from everyone from early elementary all the way up to 8th (or higher) grade. I was looking at a textbook for 12yo ds earlier and one of the labs called for a 'retort'...which I can't seem to find (unless it's part of this Home Science tools distillation kit)....which then requires a burner of some sort, like this alcohol lamp burner. Ack.

Anyway, I guess it made me realize that I don't have many science-related accessories at home, so I'm wondering what others here have, and especially, what items are "must-have items" for elementary and middle grades. And, are there some things you leave out for individual exploration, or do you store all science tools unless you need them? Also, it doesn't have to be physics/physical science-related - I'd welcome suggestions from all areas of science. Thanks! :001_smile:

We don't own that much. I have a microscope and prepared slides for things we cannot do on our own. We purchase chemistry sets for high school chem (Spectrum by far has the best lab).

For the younger yrs, hand-held magnifying glasses, field guides, sketch pads, science notebooks.....that is about it (ETA: binoculars! We really enjoy good quality binoculars. And buying things to make individual projects like potato guns. :) But, they build things like catapults out of scraps lying around.)

I've managed to prepare my oldest for college for an engineering major w/o owning anything else. ;)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I have lots of things that I've gotten over the years...could never have bought all at once.

Dissection kit

Lab equipment (glassware) for chemistry experiments

Chemistry kits

Science experiment kits (of all types)

A lovely doctor quality microscope that we inherited

Slides (prepared and materials to make our own)

Snap Circuits

Simple machines kit

Electricity kit

Optics kit

Rock and minerals samples

Probably other stuff I have forgotten about. I try to go through all the storage bins every year and just get out what we need each year.

We don't own that much. I have a microscope and prepared slides for things we cannot do on our own. We purchase chemistry sets for high school chem (Spectrum by far has the best lab).

For the younger yrs, hand-held magnifying glasses, field guides, sketch pads, science notebooks.....that is about it (ETA: binoculars! We really enjoy good quality binoculars. And buying things to make individual projects like potato guns. :) But, they build things like catapults out of scraps lying around.)

I've managed to prepare my oldest for college for an engineering major w/o owning anything else. ;)

Ah - that's encouraging! We have all of that except the microscope, and I am looking for one of those right now. I need one that has the option to project onto a computer screen, as my daughter cannot look through a microscope without getting a headache. DH is looking for one that has been used by a professional lab, and is now ready to be sold/discarded.

I have lots of things that I've gotten over the years...could never have bought all at once.

Dissection kit

Lab equipment (glassware) for chemistry experiments

Chemistry kits

Science experiment kits (of all types)

A lovely doctor quality microscope that we inherited

Slides (prepared and materials to make our own)

Snap Circuits

Simple machines kit

Electricity kit

Optics kit

Rock and minerals samples

Probably other stuff I have forgotten about. I try to go through all the storage bins every year and just get out what we need each year.

Reading this, I realize we do have a few things after all, but they're not easily accessible, so I will have to bring them out in our main space. We definitely have rocks and minerals samples - dh's undergrad was geology and his dad was an avid rock hound and maintained an impressive collection. I'm interested in some of the kits you mentioned - dissection, electricity, optics...do you have recommendations for these?

We also found a microscope a must at an early age.

Also, I put together these science kits for my young kids and they have been an awesome addition to our resources. The girls love them!

Your science kits are very cute; I like the idea of having something like that ready to go. Good idea!

Anyone else? Does anyone have a 'science center' or otherwise have certain items they keep out or easily available just for fun?

Anyone else? Does anyone have a 'science center' or otherwise have certain items they keep out or easily available just for fun?

We have a science center in various stages of inventory depending on the current interests of the kids and the status of my recycling bins. :D Check out this thread for lots of good ideas (although I will warn you that there was a crazy lady here who posted a scary long list that should only be read as suggestions and not a shopping list--she might or might not suffer from OCD). :tongue_smilie:

A microscope, of course. We have this one, which is available for a reasonable price and I've been told is a decent one that will last us through homeschooling if we treat it right.

My kids are still young, so other than magnifying glasses, science notebooks and things like that, we don't have a ton. But I've found it's useful to keep things like old jars and liter bottles around, as well as to have things like balloons, rubber bands, marbles, and so forth gathered in the same place. Plus, I try to keep things we have from previous experiments so we can use them later, so I have begun to accumulate some interesting things - a bottle of citric acid, some steel wool, and so forth.

We also found a microscope a must at an early age.

Also, I put together these science kits for my young kids and they have been an awesome addition to our resources. The girls love them!

Those are cute! It reminds me of what we use for nature study. Ideally (when it's not record-breaking hot here :glare:), we like to spend a full day per week out in nature. I set each of the kids up with a Camelbak Mini Mule filled with some nature, science, and art supplies. It is the best thing for those long days out. Hands-free hydration and a convenient way to carry lots of gear.

A microscope, of course. We have this one, which is available for a reasonable price and I've been told is a decent one that will last us through homeschooling if we treat it right.

My kids are still young, so other than magnifying glasses, science notebooks and things like that, we don't have a ton. But I've found it's useful to keep things like old jars and liter bottles around, as well as to have things like balloons, rubber bands, marbles, and so forth gathered in the same place. Plus, I try to keep things we have from previous experiments so we can use them later, so I have begun to accumulate some interesting things - a bottle of citric acid, some steel wool, and so forth.

That microscope does look great, and a very good price. I wonder how it compares in quality to the Home Science Tools microscopes. We'll be in the market for one in the next year or so, and I will definitely consider that one from Amazon. Thanks for posting!

This summer we went to visit my sister's office and see some of the labs in her building - she's finishing up her doctorate at a Big 10 uni. While there, we got super lucky because there were tons of lab supplies in the hall with signs saying "free." So we loaded up the stroller! Beakers, test tubes of all types and sizes, corks, rolls of graphing paper, test tube holders, long skinny measuring tubes, etc. DS4 was so excited! So we have all of that, plus magnifying glasses, safety glasses, and household items such as balloons, marbles, rubber bands, etc. I also have bulb holders, wire, and slides on the way. I'm planning to get DS a microscope for Christmas. I need to get better magnets.