Menu

Raised garden beds?

I've never heard of anyone doing it like that, but hey if it works for you. We have wooden raised beds. We put landscaping fabric/weed block in between the beds and put mulch on top of the fabric. It works well. One thing you want to think about is you don't want to have to redo your raised beds too often, so pick something that will last. Also think about watering. We put in water/drip lines.

I was thinking of getting some of those straw filled tubes landscapers use.
I am intrigued by your idea.

We used rot-resistant cedar many years ago. I can tell you it isn't really rot-resistant. A few years ago we had a huge mess of removing all that rotted cedar.

I much prefer using rock and/or bricks, as they are easier to work with and shape. Yes, more expensive. But I think better in the long run.

I wouldn't use any of the chemically treated lumber in my own garden. I know 'fake' lumber (recycled plastic) products are available for raised beds but I know that wouldn't stand up to the intense sun in the southern states.

I've never heard of anyone doing it like that, but hey if it works for you. We have wooden raised beds. We put landscaping fabric/weed block in between the beds and put mulch on top of the fabric. It works well. One thing you want to think about is you don't want to have to redo your raised beds too often, so pick something that will last. Also think about watering. We put in water/drip lines.

Well, I figured they would eventually decompose leaving me with good mounds of soil. If I put gravel between them I would have paths. Not your typical raised bed, but almost a combo with the straw bale kind.

We've just done ours in preperation for summer. We used treated timber around the perimeters of the whole garden then lined it with plastic to stop the chemicals leaching. The individual beds are held in with the cheapest non treated timber we could find, it's just thin match lining. We know it will rot, but it will hold up the beds (we use lasagna gardening, you might like to check it out as it's perfect for new raised beds. As it rots away we can replace it easily and cheaply.

My DH has gathered enough fence panels to make about 10 4x8 raised beds and cold frames for 2-3 of them. The fence panels were free. He found them all on Craigslist. The beds frames are all lined with plastic. We have really good soil, so he will fill the beds with that and buy some mulch or manure as needed, to finish filling them. He has found manure on Craigslist for free. He also found gravel, for free, to line the paths.

It is taking a while and we won't have anything this year, but next year we will have a large garden in our little back yard. He hopes to be able to use a few beds through the winter with the cold frames and green house plastic.

We used treated timber around the perimeters of the whole garden then lined it with plastic to stop the chemicals leaching.
Will the plastic not crumble in your climate? I am in the southern US and plastic in the garden is such a huge no-no, as it falls apart over a few seasons and you are left with a huge mess. :tongue_smilie:

High raised beds

img_2927.jpg

img_2930.jpg

I like these a lot because you don't have to bend much.

Lettuce growing in gutters. Interesting. Not sure if I would put it on the side of my house, though as we have vinyl siding. Maybe if it was wood because the screw holes could be easily filled in if needed.

http://www.studiogblog.com/garden-construction-materials/materials/daily-garden-051-in-the-gutter/

We use untreated lumber and then use an organic sealer to make the lumber water proof and less liable to rot.

I would not use treated or anything like fencing (jmo), because unless you encased it totally in heavy duty plastic, it will leach chemicals near your veggies.

Ours is wrapped on heavy duty plastic, and some of it is untreated. But lumber is expensive. We got all of ours for free.

I bought lumber at Home Depot, cut them, painted them, and screwed them together. Mine are 4'x8'. I don't use weed block fabric under as I want roots to seek the soil beneath if they want.

We followed the soil recipe in the Square Foot Garden book. Kinda pricey to begin with, but easy in following years.

I've been a gardener all my life...had huge in-ground gardens when we lived on the farm...and a big in-ground garden here. But I LOVE my raised beds. The yields are better and the care is easier. We grow just enough for fresh eating, some giving, and a bit to put away.

The best part about raised beds is you can put them ANYWHERE the sun is right.

We salvaged untreated lumber from our neighbor's burn pile (we asked first), and - while we'll probably have to re-do things in a couple of years, they've lasted 2 summers already and are doing fine.

We also have access to free piles of composted horse manure - makes for EXCELLENT soil! (You could ask around at stables, if they have piles from previous years?)

DH did the trick of putting his sprinkler in the middle of the (intended) garden location, seeing how far it would water, and then building his raised beds in that "wet" area.

In between the beds (which you *CAN* make as wide as a lawnmower swath, if you want), we laid down salvaged shingles and free bark mulch from the town "recycling center" (AKA dump).