Menu

We're staying in Germany!

Yay!!! James Bond just got the word that other day that we will be staying in Germany at least 3 more years. We'll be moving to Wiesbaden with is about an hour north of where we currently live. By the time these next 3 years are over, we'll have lived in Germany for 13 years. You'd think my German would be better. :glare: We're supposed to move in either late Oct or early Nov. I hate to move, but I'm looking forward to living in a new area of Germany.

Yay!!! James Bond just got the word that other day that we will be staying in Germany at least 3 more years. We'll be moving to Wiesbaden with is about an hour north of where we currently live. By the time these next 3 years are over, we'll have lived in Germany for 13 years. You'd think my German would be better. :glare: We're supposed to move in either late Oct or early Nov. I hate to move, but I'm looking forward to living in a new area of Germany.

Aren't you in the Heidelburg area? I would love to be there. We are so remote where we are. Cows, sheep and roosters are our neighbors.

I believe you need to be a military family to be covered under the SOFA agreement. Germans are not allowed to homeschool.

Americans who are not military can put their children in the post schools here if there is room, and for a fee. Our Local post schools are excellent - equal to the private school in the US we were paying $500/ mo the to send our son to.

That's so cool! I am a bit jealous...:tongue_smilie: My father was in the Army and I spent 12 years of my childhood in Germany. I would really love to be stationed there someday but the odds getting stationed there as a Marine aren't in our favor. I just learned that we could go to Spain, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Fantastic! We loved our years in Germany!! We were there from 1992-97 in Berlin and near Kaiserslautern. At the time we were there the government would pay to fly you back to the states if you were given a consecutive overseas tour. If you didn't want to use the flight, they would pay you the equivalent amount for any other travel. The operative word was "travel;"it had to be moving, not hotel or food. We had visited family in the states frequently already, so we used it for a Mediterranean cruise. We sailed out of Greece and went to Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus, Patmos, Rhodes and Crete. Since a cruise is moving, it was okay. It was fantastic! We paid the difference in the cost.

Do you currently live on post or the economy? We did both and our favorite was living on the economy in a small German village.

Congrats!!

Mary

sometimes come in under SOFA as well, but not always. GS status will allow SOFA benefits, but not all private contractors come over under SOFA so they send their kids to DOD schools. There was a private Christian school at the church we attended- an International Baptist Church, so there are some English speaking options as well.

the govt said no. We originally were going to be here through Feb of next year and were going to ask for a 2 year extension. However, due to budget cuts, dh's office is shutting down. So we are flying out of here on Oct 8. Hope you like Wiesbaden! Lots of changes going on here, and it's going to get really big! Let me know if I can help you with any info!

Jeri

:party: Congrats to you and your family! :party:

I really liked that area--we didn't live there, but I would go there to shop for things we didn't have in Heidelberg. Enjoy your next three years...we are DC bound. The kids,dog and I will leave here in mid-November to set up the house. Hubby will arrive December 20th. At least we will all be together for Christmas.

If you are an American citizen and are living there do you have to send them to school there? Can't you keep permanent residency in your home state? Just musing. I have no idea how that international stuff works.

The "legal" page on this website explains it:

http://www.militaryhomeschool.org

(it isn't a commercial site - it belongs to a homeschool group in Germany)

a