Menu

Boston in the fall--When is the ideal time to visit?

We hope to take a trip to Boston this fall and look at nifty historical stuff. We are also nature lovers who think it would be neat to hike there at the height of the fall color.

When is the best time to go? We were thinking of end or Sept or early October. We can go earlier or later.

Recommendations for lodging, historic sites, or hikes??

Lodging can be anything from camping (though not likely but possible) to an efficiency cabin to hotel. We'd probably prefer something inexpensive.

Thanks!

Peak would be more towards October, but keep in mind it is also peak tourist season and therefore prices will be higher and things will be booked up quickly. I can't help with camping info, but I do suggest, if you're going to do a hotel, try outside Boston and drive in on day trips (or take the T and save on parking).

Really? I guess I assumed that it wouldn't be peak because kids are in school. Is there another time of year to consider?

Really? I guess I assumed that it wouldn't be peak because kids are in school. Is there another time of year to consider?

Yes, leaf peepers as they are called, come in droves. It's not just families with kids, but busloads of middle-aged and older folks. Lots of people like to see the leaves. :)

I wouldn't discourage you from coming then. It is beautiful and the temps will be lovely - not too hot and not too cold. Just book now if you're booking anything.

Oh, and there is so much to do in Boston. You will love it!

ETA: During the week will be less busy than weekends, just as with anything.

There is a state park called Wompatuck State Park that is about 35 miles outside Boston. I believe that it's the closest camping to Boston. It's in a really lovely historic town called Hingham, which has not only Wompatuck but another large park called World's End. World's End is just beautiful: it was laid out by Frederick Law Olmstead to be a housing development, but the houses were never built. Most of the trails are the carriage roads that he laid out.

From there, you can either drive into Boston easily (not so easily during rush hour), or there is a commuter train and a commuter ferry. The ferry is a great ride (indoors and out, and there's a bar!) and it takes you right to downtown. It's also about 1/2way between Boston and Cape Cod if you wanted to see that.

There is a state park called Wompatuck State Park that is about 35 miles outside Boston. I believe that it's the closest camping to Boston. It's in a really lovely historic town called Hingham, which has not only Wompatuck but another large park called World's End. World's End is just beautiful: it was laid out by Frederick Law Olmstead to be a housing development, but the houses were never built. Most of the trails are the carriage roads that he laid out.

From there, you can either drive into Boston easily (not so easily during rush hour), or there is a commuter train and a commuter ferry. The ferry is a great ride (indoors and out, and there's a bar!) and it takes you right to downtown. It's also about 1/2way between Boston and Cape Cod if you wanted to see that.

Ooooohhhh . . . very intriguing. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

We hope to take a trip to Boston this fall and look at nifty historical stuff. We are also nature lovers who think it would be neat to hike there at the height of the fall color.

When is the best time to go? We were thinking of end or Sept or early October. We can go earlier or later.

Recommendations for lodging, historic sites, or hikes??

Lodging can be anything from camping (though not likely but possible) to an efficiency cabin to hotel. We'd probably prefer something inexpensive.

Thanks!

You'll definitely want to do the Freedom Trail. Walking and historic sites. It's best over a couple of days (or more) to have enough time to see the sites. Paul Revere's House and the U.S.S. Constitution are some of the highlights IMO. Boston Common and Public Garden are must-sees, especially if you've read Make Way for Ducklings and Trumpet of the Swan.

I would not consider that peak, and I've never personally noticed it to be so. The leaves are not really changing yet in early Oct or late Sept., and all the college kids are settled in, so their parents' cars are not clogging the roads. It's too early for school kid field trips. I would think last week Sept/first week Oct to be pretty ideal.

Yes, leaf peepers as they are called, come in droves. It's not just families with kids, but busloads of middle-aged and older folks. Lots of people like to see the leaves. :)

I wouldn't discourage you from coming then. It is beautiful and the temps will be lovely - not too hot and not too cold. Just book now if you're booking anything.

Oh, and there is so much to do in Boston. You will love it!

ETA: During the week will be less busy than weekends, just as with anything.

Although not until the end of Oct. That's a bit more of a ME/NH/VT thing. Not saying MA doesn't get peeper tours, but Boston is more drive- through for that. :)

As for hotels-- do you want to be in the heart of Boston, or is Brookline, Newton etc OK? The Coutryard Marriot in Brookline (Coolidge Corner) is great! It's right on the Green Line (MBTA subway/above ground) and in the hub of Brookline, which is wonderful. I would consider it the heart of things, but without the giant price tag. If you want the heart-heart, i would suggest Copley Place Marriot in the Back Bay, or the Marriot near the New England Aquarium. We're Marriot people due to points. lol There is always The Ritz-Carlton, which is only OK, imo, although it is iconic and right near the Boston Common. You can always have brunch there if you want to have a Ritz experience. I also like The Hyatt in Harvard Square. (Well, a little off the square itself, but right on the Charles River in Cambridge.) Great place to walk, with lots of bookstores and eateries.

Edited by LibraryLover

I would say peek foliage would be the last 2 weeks of October, but anytime is a great time in Boston!

You could also consider a hotel in the Providence RI area (45min train ride from Boston and almost as much a tourist area as well).

My favorite thing to do in Boston is the Boston Duck Tour. Its a little pricey, but well worth it. Its a 90min tour through Boston with heavy history. The tour guides were funny and so knowledgeable!