Menu

Help, need book ideas avid reader. . .

Dd is an avid reader - she has read so much we sometimes get stumped at what to read next. Give me lists of decent (no vampire, romance or stuff) for an 8th grade girl!

Thanks, Barb

Edited by Barb B

You could try Maggie Stiefvatar's Wolves of Mercy Falls. Rachel Caine's Morgainville Vampires series is fun. Veronica Roth's Divergent was pretty good and is the first in the series. Oh, and it's historical fantasy, but Guy Gavriel Kaye's Fionavar Tapestry might be something to check out. His books in general are well written and very good stories.

Have you looked at Omnibus? TruthQuest? Also I had a thread a little bit ago where people gave me fabulous ideas for dd. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298132 I'm also exploring the genre of natural history with her. (Kraken, etc.) We'll see if it sticks, lol. Her book binges usually have to do with history.

Well check out that thread. It should give you good ideas.

Dd is a year younger, but reads a ton. Here are some of her recommendations:

All of the Madeline L'Engle books

All of the Mandie books

Betsy Tacy books (she hasn't read all of these yet, but likes what she has read)

Beverly Lewis has some books for girls--I think there are three in the series about athletes that she enjoyed

Louisa May Alcott books (she has read a couple and wants to find more)

Anne of Green Gables books (we haven't started these yet, but will)

Left Behind series for teens

There is another series she tried recently, but I can't remember what it is. We found it at Lifeway, though.

Oh, and she keeps reading her Nancy Drew books over and over too. :001_smile: Surely she has them memorized by now. They are her go-to when she has run out of new material to read. It's like treading water. She always has to have a book or two at hand.

These are some of the best books we have ever read (me, 12dd, 15ds). It is a Christian series but not preachy-the main character just sets a great example. Beware of a couple of torture scenes that may be somewhat graphic-it is a spy novel, after all:0) http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Home-Homelanders/dp/1595547134/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315617812&sr=8-3

My dd (and ds) have also really enjoyed the Ranger's Apprentice series, and my son discovered several authors he really liked while reading from the 8th grade list in WTM. Agatha Christie, in particular.

My daughter also really loves the Royal Diaries books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?field-keywords=royal+diaries+series&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&sprefix=royal+dia

She also really likes Gail Carson Levine (author of Ella Enchanted) and E. D. Baker-fairytale type books, with a twist. I have not read those, though, and I'm pretty sure there is some romance but not in the style of more modern fiction. Just fairytale stuff.