Menu

Woke up this morning to shattered glass in the Mazda3

Wow.

What do you think would cause it to spontaneously shatter? The only time I've heard of that was in the bitter cold and even then it required a bit of contact.

Tempered glass is very temperamental. Flaw in manufacture, stress on installation, small nicks, stress introduced when cooling. Crazy, huh? I don't think dh believes me, though.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Wow.

What do you think would cause it to spontaneously shatter? The only time I've heard of that was in the bitter cold and even then it required a bit of contact.

My first thought was, "that is because she is an optimist." But then that would make her dh a pessimist and I was trying to be polite. :001_smile:

Hmm. Is it near a road? Could a rock have hit it?

Nope. Under a big ol' maple. No visible trauma, just shatter. There was a hole at the bottom front where some of the glass had already fallen out.

I wanted to take a picture of it, but dh finished it off by closing the opposite door before I got home from taking ds to work. :-PP And the police had already come and gone, taking a report of "vandalism." Ah well.

We can get a new window next Tuesday. :-(

it was because someone drove through the neighborhood shooting a BB gun at car windows. Our 2 mini-vans were part of a 40+ group of cars they hit.

Sigh.

I'd rather be an optimist . . . It would be easier to stomach.

Dh thinks this might be what happened. I think it would have been hard to get past the tree trunk unless someone was on foot.

Nope. Under a big ol' maple. No visible trauma, just shatter. There was a hole at the bottom front where some of the glass had already fallen out.

I wanted to take a picture of it, but dh finished it off by closing the opposite door before I got home from taking ds to work. :-PP And the police had already come and gone, taking a report of "vandalism." Ah well.

It was one of your geriatric patients. She was ticked that you didn't show up today. :D

Seriously, I'm sorry. Who needs that...on top of the creeping crud!? Secretly though (heh), I'd probably agree with your husband. :confused: No sign of a rock or hefty geriatric missile thingie in the car, huh?

We recently learned that during a hurricane the change in pressure is what makes the roof come off a house. Could a front have come through and the change in air pressure cause this. Just a thought.

It rained all night last night, and we're not sure when this happened. Sometime after 3 pm yesterday. I wondered about that. But that much pressure -- I think I'd have felt it in my head. I'm exquisitely (in the intensely painful sense of the word) sensitive to pressure changes.

So it's not the wind that makes the roof come off? Who knew?? That's a cool piece of info, this far removed from actual loss of roof.

It was one of your geriatric patients. She was ticked that you didn't show up today. :D

Seriously, I'm sorry. Who needs that...on top of the creeping crud!? Secretly though (heh), I'd probably agree with your husband. :confused: No sign of a rock or hefty geriatric missile thingie in the car, huh?

No, but dh is still looking (ok, not at the MOMENT, but still...) for the bullet. :001_smile:

The elderly are counting their blessings today. I won't detail just why they are, but they are.

Oh, bummer. I'm sorry. What a terrible thing to wake up to!

Ok, update: Dh was vacuuming the glass up this morning and remembered that the grounds crew was here yesterday (we live in a condo) stirring up their usual torrent of sticks and debris. And rocks. Hmmmm. So he's on the phone with them right now mentioning how it might be a good idea to not actually use the fifty bajillion hp mower on the hill right next to the parking lot where there's very little covering the ground except dirt and rocks.

Mystery maybe solved.

We lost a side window to a rock thrown from a mower. :eek: Scary as all get out since I was sitting there. Glad no one was terrified or injured. Too bad about loss. Insurance will cover it...but it will likely cost just under your deductible.:001_huh:

Hmmmm....I hope that's all it was. That's what I'd like to settle on, so I believe I will. Yep, it was inadvertently caused by the grounds crew. I can't let myself think it was anything else.

I'd really hate to wake up to that. :angry:

We lost a side window to a rock thrown from a mower. :eek: Scary as all get out since I was sitting there. Glad no one was terrified or injured. Too bad about loss. Insurance will cover it...but it will likely cost just under your deductible.:001_huh:

Oh, wow! I would have been shaking STILL had I been there. *shudder*

Yeah, it's under the deductible. Too bad. We can't be having repeat performances of this, that's for sure.