Menu

Warriner's English and Grammar

There are several versions of Warriner's, but Mother of Divine Grace (a Catholic umbrella school/corrospondance school) recommends the Complete Course. There are several Catholic suppliers that carry it. But the fact that MODG uses it makes me think of it as a reliable resource.

I used Warriner's as a high school student, and always liked it. But I loved English and of course a student wouldn't make mature judgements about content.

My mother, a high school English teacher for twenty years, considered Warriner's the best text series out there. As far as she was concerned, there was no reason to consider any other text!

When she retired and was clearing out her bookcases, I received several copies of different Warriner's texts and tests because, as she explained it to me, she wanted her grandchildren to have easy access to a good English textbook!

Yesterday, while cleaning off shelves, I discovered an old 3rd Course and a Complete Course. After looking through them, I decided they were keepers. I used Warriners in high school and didn't think of it as anything special, but I did always enjoy the class.

I will use the Complete Course with my 10th grader and the 3rd Course with my 7th and 8th graders. Now I'm trying to find answer keys so that we can use them next year. Any ideas?

I had it ready to go for this year. However, it wasn't a good fit due to the size of the font for my dd who wears glasses. :eek: Otherwise it looked good to me.

I will use the Complete Course with my 10th grader and the 3rd Course with my 7th and 8th graders. Now I'm trying to find answer keys so that we can use them next year. Any ideas?

I believe Seton has the answer keys also.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have been looking at this and Our Mother Tongue for high school grammar review in the upcoming year. Grammar is a weak area from my son. Any thoughts on OMT as well?

The older editions (1970s to mid-190s) of Warriner's are probably my favorite overall grammar-composition texts.

Warriner's First Course was intended for 7th grade. That would make the Fourth Course for 10th grade, the Fifth Course (harder to find) for 11th grade and the Complete Course for 12th grade. However, the Complete Course could be used by any high school schooler with sufficient background.

The difficult part of using the older editions of Warriner's is locating the matching teacher's guide. Seton sells sets, but, in addition to the student text, they sell an answer key consisting of only a stapled set of sheets.

If you want a matching set that was published by the original publisher (HBJ), and if you can't locate a set being sold together, the best approach would be to locate the teacher's guide first, and then try to find the matching student edition. The old student editions are relatively easy to find, but that is not true of the teacher's guides.

HTH!