Menu

Kindergarten Copywork?

Five More Minutes

DD4 refuses to play when her older sister is doing writing / grammar / spelling. She wants (demands!) to have her own pages to write. If she doesn't have her own worksheet, she sits at the table with us anyway and distracts big sister or me. (Either will do.) I have tried maze books, dot-to-dots, and colouring books to no avail: only something that looks like writing will do.

(I am trying to give her a JK experience with lots of play! Honest!)

I'm ready to give in and am toying with the idea of making up some copywork pages for her.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? And anyone been there already and have some really good ideas of things to copy for this age?

Thanks ...

(PS Since I know that there are different opinions out there on the usefulness of copywork for non-readers ... She is reading at around a Grade 1 or 2 level.)

I made the big mistake of refusing to teach my young 4 year old handwriting. I thought she was too young, and it wouldn't hurt to let her just "play".

Now, she has figured out her own approximations of every letter. Her capital R is a circle with legs, and so on and so on. And since she already knows how to do it her way, she isn't interested in learning my way.

It has become a huge nightmare. I SOOO wish I had bought the Handwriting Without Tears preschool program and implemented it with her from the start when I knew that she was going to write one way or the other.

I just recently did a blog post on the same subject. My two year old (closer to three actually) feels so left out when her older sister and I do "school work". I finally caved in and I AM SO GLAD I did. She surpassed what i would have expected of her. She genuinely enjoys it. We ended up stumbling into our own mini-unit on the alphabet. We used a dry erase board, a cheapo alphabet coloring book, and Starfall.com followed by weekly showings of Leap Frog's Letter Factory.

Mine both practiced their fine motor skills with Kumon books before beginning a formal penmanship curriculum (Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting). I don't like them to do much writing until they've done the first penmanship book because I don't want them to form bad habits, so we don't start copywork until they start Book B. If your daughter's motor skills are ready, I'd go ahead and get her working on a penmanship curriculum. Hopefully that'll be enough like copywork to satisfy her, and if not maybe she'll move through it quickly enough that she can start on copywork soon.

My little one was the same way, and insisted on doing seatwork alongside my older one.

I printed manuscript letters and dot-to-dot pictures, laminated them, and put them in a folder just for her. She would sit alongside us, selecting a worksheet to work on, and then mark it up with wet erase markers. She felt like a "real" student, and bonus (!) her penmanship is pretty nice for her age.

DD4 refuses to play when her older sister is doing writing / grammar / spelling. She wants (demands!) to have her own pages to write. If she doesn't have her own worksheet, she sits at the table with us anyway and distracts big sister or me. (Either will do.) I have tried maze books, dot-to-dots, and colouring books to no avail: only something that looks like writing will do.

I'm ready to give in and am toying with the idea of making up some copywork pages for her.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? And anyone been there already and have some really good ideas of things to copy for this age?

Thanks ...

(PS Since I know that there are different opinions out there on the usefulness of copywork for non-readers ... She is reading at around a Grade 1 or 2 level.)

Haven't read the other responses, but my K'er does copywork every day. He was already starting to *really* write as an early 4 yo and I could tell he was ready for more, so we used HWT Kindergarten. I had to hold him back or he would have flown through the book in just a couple of weeks. Anyway, when he finished that I switched to straight copywork. I made up my own blank paper and I write out a sentence for him to copy each day. He copies Bible verses that we're memorizing, poems, songs, general info (i.e., his full name--so he can learn to spell middle and last names--, months, days, etc.), sentences related to something else we're learning (i.e., "Plants have roots, stems and leaves. Many plants have flowers.), and sentences from books that he's reading or that I'm reading aloud. He's reading at about a mid-second grade level. And his handwriting is better than his brother's because I wasn't so diligent about getting copywork done with his brother!

ETA: For the longer things (verses, songs, poems) I just give him part each day until he's copied the whole thing. All the sheets go into his notebook. Eventually. :D

Edited by Kirch

I made the big mistake of refusing to teach my young 4 year old handwriting. I thought she was too young, and it wouldn't hurt to let her just "play".

Now, she has figured out her own approximations of every letter. Her capital R is a circle with legs, and so on and so on. And since she already knows how to do it her way, she isn't interested in learning my way.

It has become a huge nightmare. I SOOO wish I had bought the Handwriting Without Tears preschool program and implemented it with her from the start when I knew that she was going to write one way or the other.

As an FYI, she may be more willing to learn cursive... My oldest "knew" how to write his letters too, refused manuscript, but willingly learned cursive. Just a suggestion!

Thanks ...

hov about just pages of letters? my DS1 is almost 6 and in kindy and that is his penmenship -- a page of 2 lines of T's .. etc.