Menu

G.K. Chesterton

For some reason, I don't really enjoy Chesterton's Father Brown stories, although I love his essays. What's Wrong With the World is one of my favorite compilations. :)

ETA a wee excerpt:

Man as a social idealist will say "I am tired of being a Puritan; I want to be a Pagan," or "Beyond this dark probation of Individualism I see the shining paradise of Collectivism." Now in bodily ills there is none of this difference about the ultimate ideal. The patient may or may not want quinine; but he certainly wants health. No one says "I am tired of this headache; I want some toothache," or "The only thing for this Russian influenza is a few German measles," or "Through this dark probation of catarrh I see the shining paradise of rheumatism." But exactly the whole difficulty in our public problems is that some men are aiming at cures which other men would regard as worse maladies; are offering ultimate conditions as states of health which others would uncompromisingly call states of disease.

Edited by Eleanor

FYI -- We were able to get a huge Chesterton collection free on Kindle.

Us too. All I've read so far is The Man Who Was Thursday. It was an interesting way to begin my acquaintance with Chesterton. I would recommend finding out more about him/the book before you dive into that one!