Menu

are there any sequential science programs?

caedmyn

I used this with one of my high schoolers and I think it might be what you want, although that was many years ago.

"A short history of natural science and of the progress of discovery" By Arabella Burton Buckley It's on google books

http://books.google.com/books?id=554OAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=arabella+buckley&hl=en&ei=raBdTsO8OqLn0QHIhPXuAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEcQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

If your child is younger, I would give serious consideration to Nebel's science http://www.amazon.com/Building-Foundations-Scientific-Understanding-Curriculum/dp/1432706101/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314758951&sr=8-3

Your post sparked my curiosity, so I used the search function for "gravity" and it does discuss the investigations and thinking at different times in history. With a little footwork you could create a nice program using the Buckley book as a reference source. I think Nebel's would still be the best sequential book for a young child.

Well, it's not a program but I highly recommend Inventing the Future: The Scientists Who Changed Our World. It is a sequential history of science written for around a 9-12 year old audience. I am matching it up to our history cycle, but I have toyed with the idea of using it as a spine for a homemade one year history of science curriculum.

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but have you looked at Joy Hakim's "The Story of Science" series?

I also thought of that.

There's also another series of books called Story of Science - those books are topical (one on immunology, one on genetics, one on plate tectonics, etc.), but each one starts at the beginning with ancient science on the issues and moves up chronologically to the modern science. I really like that series, and had my kids read through most of them as supplements to whatever we were learning in science. Most of them are written by Roy Gallant, but about 5 in the series are written by others.

it's not a series, but i'm planning to use jeanne bendick's books (bought them already), and hopefully find other fun, living books that tell the stories of innovators like galileo, archimedes and their ilk.

they're from bethlehem books, but i don't know if they have others in the series.

beautiful feet also offers a history of science guide, with living books to go alongside.

HTH!