Menu

FIAR fold & learns

lorrainejmc

I purchased one and was rather disappointed. :( It is basically a blurb of information per section and maybe a few pictures. You are supposed to make your own little books and the like. It was basically stuff I could've gathered very easily with the use of Google. I'd stick with the HSS stuff or make your own.

I purchased one and was rather disappointed. :( It is basically a blurb of information per section and maybe a few pictures. You are supposed to make your own little books and the like. It was basically stuff I could've gathered very easily with the use of Google. I'd stick with the HSS stuff or make your own.

:iagree::iagree:

Has anyone used these? No one talks about them on the FIAR forum.:confused: I'm using some FIAR along with GTG and am curious if these are worth trying.

I wondered why on the FIAR forums no one talks about them. When I did a forum search, anytime someone asked a question about what specifically they are like or contain, they ALWAYS got a vague answer of something like "they are great!"

I think the problem is that those who do like them are very loud and opinionated about it. They are also "die hard" rowers. As in, don't cross them, don't tell them there are particular books you might not like, etc. Thus, if one doesn't like the FNL's they keep quiet about it.

I'll also say that there was a BIG debacle about the FNL's a while back, towards when they first came out. A few people mentioned HSS's free stuff and there were hackles over sending people towards free stuff when you could support the company buy purchasing the FNLs. I don't like that guilting a person into purchasing them.

That said I agree that what HSS offers is better. I was very sad to see that one or two of the FNL's actually had some of the EXACT same FREE stuff that HSS had. That didn't sit right with me.

I thin FNL's are "okay" at best. I know a lot of ladies use them and rave about them, but I find them overpriced for what you get. I've found typos or errors in the ones I have purchased which is equally frustrating. Anyone knew to lapbooking would find them difficult and confusing to use.

The Apple Pie one {for instance, being the first one I ever purchased} was a real nightmare. You get maps galore and no information on how to use them. They said that was purposeful because lapbooks are an art. I get it, but they flashed a nice looking picture of a beautiful lapbook and I'd hoped to have the instructions to make it.

Save your pennies. ;)

It was the Apple Pie one I was going to try! I had done the free HSS one with dd, so I was looking for a different one this time with my boys. I'm glad I asked here, in fact I am probably going to ditch the idea of adding FIAR to GTG. I have most of our first unit planned (an intro to the world, maps and space) and it is looking great as it is, very boy friendly.:001_smile:

I am a huge FIAR fan, have used it for years...however, I do not care for the FNL's at all. Like someone else mentioned, those die-hard fans will rave about them on the boards, but the negative comments usually aren't allowed.

I found that it was a bunch of clip art and that's it...I tried a few of them, again, because I love FIAR!! But, they just were not for us and I felt like it was WAY too much money to spend on clip art. :confused::tongue_smilie:

I agree with the previous posters. I bought the science and another one (at about $20 total!) for Homer Price a couple of weeks back thinking it would make my life a little easier and it's just pages of clip art. And not even good clip art. Or well organized clip art. They could at least throw in some notebooking pages or something. The HOAC products are way more useful, as are the files at Homeschoolshare.com

(And it pains me to say this about them, because we are die-hard BFIAR, FIAR, and BYFIAR fans here!)

We matched FIAR to GTG in 2nd grade. It was VERY easy because GTG uses many of the FIAR books. :) We spent 1 week on the FIAR book and 1 week on the GTG country. :D

What's GTG?

Thank you, ladies, for the information. I am starting FIAR with my young kindergartener this year and all the tips are very helpful!

I would rather use the HOAC lapbooks that are available for some of the FIAR books. We have used Ping and Mike Mulligan and enjoyed those. :D

I agree. I purchased one to see what it was like, and I was disappointed. I shared my thoughts on FAIR forum, and basically was told use them how they best work for you. But I like lapbooks with more meat. Just my opinon though. That is what makes the world go round, right. :-)