Menu

If you've finally found the right boxed curriculum

leeannpal

Abeka for 2nd grade (used last year, too). I like the laid out plan for last year since I was new and wanted direction. I also started college again and have a toddler. I wanted the planning. This year, I am still in school and wanted to keep up with the same pace, works well for us, and again, the planning is nice. I might do different for 3rd but I don't know yet since I will be in my Masters program then. We will see.

BJU Distance Learning. If I didn't do that it would be Heart of Dakota. I love them both. BJU gets done and the classes are top notch. We used BJU off and on over the course of our homeschooling and it's the only one that got done consistently. We kept coming back to BJU and I've finally just settled into it. No more messing around and fighting what works.

It works for us for many reasons but the main reason is that it does the actual day to day teaching for me. It takes the pressure off me. The classes are engaging and academically strong. Another of it's strengths is also its Christian content. There is not one class that doesn't point the child to Christ.

That's the condensed version! Hope that helps.

Teaching Textbooks and Oak Meadow. I so wish I had done this back when my oldest was in Grade 1. (TT wasn't around..I am talking about OM.)

I was reading old posts on my blog last year. I had a Grade 1 post all about how I really was drawn to it. Now that I am doing it with a younger sibling, I know he would have done so well. Much better than what I pieced together and tried to force feed him at the time:tongue_smilie:

I planned out dd's curriculum subject by subject (choosing from several different vendors) from 9th-12th grade. Then I planned out ds's curriculum subject by subject from 2nd-5th grade. For his 6th grade year I used my first boxed curriculum - My Father's World. I still kept a few of the other programs that I have come to know and really like but after resisting a boxed curriculum for all those years...I will say that MFW was a God-led thing for me and I really enjoyed it. We are now beginning our 3rd year with it and each year has gotten even better - although I still do add some of my other programs with it. For the 3rd child I started with Heart of Dakota's preschool program. I can't tell you exactly why but I absolutely did not like it. I wanted to like it. I kept trying to like it. I even accidentally ordered two identical manuals. I ended up giving one away to my niece with an explanation of how it really didn't work for me but maybe it would work for her and we never even finished our book. So for Kindergarten I started her with MFW. I liked it much better although we stretched it out over a year and a half because I started her early on it since I wanted to get away from HOD. That burned us out a bit but I am once again enjoying it with their first grade program...although

I do still add some additional programs that I got to know so well in those early years.

We have used and LOVED My Father's World K, 1st, Adventures and Exploring Countries and Cultures. This year, I decided to try Heart of Dakota's Bigger Hearts for His Glory for my oldest two b/c MFW Creation to the Greeks seemed like it would be a little over their heads. We are in our 4th week of HOD and absolutely LOVE it! I'm not sure if we will ever switch back to MFW. HOD is so complete and the progression of skills throughout the guides are really impressive! The kids have LOVED everything we have read and done so far! :001_smile:

Veritas Press. Every subject is music based for the grammar ages, meaning all the facts are learned by learning a song. We really love this way of learning. The lesson plans are laid out, it doesn't take very much time and the content is rich and engaging. If I already own a book, they don't charge me for another one (whereas Sonlight does) but I still get the "buy all the books" discount. It's more expensive then some of the other ones, but almost everything is reusable (except for a workbook here or there), even the lesson plans, saving me quite a chunk of change over the course of the 12 years with 3 children.

i like the combination we use.

for language arts (writing, spelling, grammar) we love BJU. this is our 2 year, and i plan to stick with it. we also incorporate the teacher dvd's and completely love them.

for math, this is our 4th year with CLE. love it!

everything else, we really love heart of dakota.