Menu

Geography??

PeacefulChaos

I think knowing basic map skills is important. You can do that through free online printables though and not use a geography program. Or better yet open up your atlas and enjoy a weekend learning about the symbols and such. Then make a game out of it and have them searching for the symbol on the map that represents a "lake" or a "state park" or whatever.

We use a program but because I think it's not only fun for the kids but also because the kids learn about each of our 50 states and cute little facts about each one. Plus I think knowing the capitals of all the states would be neat for them and they agree. The program has cooking things for each state and a coloring page and some light reading that I read aloud to the kids. It's fun and simple.

I third the basic map skills.

I have been using The Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence to put together a list of things to learn in geography grade by grade. I use various resources, but the Core Knowledge list that I made up is basically our program.

The Core (Bortins) geography chapter is possibly the best geography resource I have come across yet.

If I could just buy a book or series to do geography, I would because that would be much easier than what we currently do. If anyone knows of something like that, please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

When my oldest girl was 4, we did Galloping the Globe, which was a gentle introduction to geography.We also did maps, globes books, which were fun too.

This year we will try to do Child's Geography book with my two oldest kids. Next year I am planning to compile my own curricula studying continents. It will be like a unit study, covering several subjects. We probably start with North America and will be covering Canada, USA and Mexico. Besides traditional location, major rives, capital name, landmarks, I am going to include economical geography and historical events of the region.

If you want to teach map skills, do orienteering. We did this with my science teacher in middle school. We loved it! She gave us a map with some clues and markings on it, and a compass. We went all over campus looking for the flags. We did different types of maps - regular maps with streets, topography maps, relief maps...it was great for learning to read maps.

We are doing SOTW with out a geography program. We did a lot of geography last year, I used the Core Knowledge Series of books: What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know. This year I have the first grade book and we will read through that toward the end of the year.

The Core (Bortins) geography chapter is possibly the best geography resource I have come across yet.

:iagree: -- this is my main goal, we are working on the world blobs now (they have the great circles and Africa down). I plan to just rotate the continents so everyone is drawing the same thing. Then we'll do library books or documentaries about that country. This is one area I'm leaning towards video over books - it's great to SEE these places.

I didn't see what ages you have, but we've just started Home Geography for the Primary Grades and are enjoying it. The lessons are short and to the point. (Lesson 1 is right and left - which change when we turn. Lesson 2 is North, South, East and West - which don't change. I like that my kids are being led in discovering this, instead of being told. It's very CMish so far.)

[quote=Mrs Twain;3080040

!

I love this book in general, and in addition to the History Odyssey maps, we are working on the world as outlined in the geography chapter by Bortins in 'The Core.'. DS8 and DS10 can now both draw the great circles and prime meridian, the continents, oceans, and major seas, and a small selection of other features that I chose, from memory, starting with a blank sheet of paper. They are now working on a detail map of Australia every day (reviewing the world map once a were so they don't forget it).

I had them read the 'True Book' about Austalia to the cat the other day (they

were on sale at Scholastic last month and I picked up a whole pile of them).

For map reading skills in a more local sense, I picked up the Rand McNally Road Atlas for Kids ($4 at Staples). We can use it in the car or for exercises at home.