Menu

Should I get the Hepatitis B vaccination series?

I am taking a job (part time, on call) as a labor support person for women who live in the dorm of an adoption agency. I will be hands on during births of women with varying histories (drug use, health issues, etc). The agency is offering me the Hep B series free. Any downside to taking them up on this offer? I've not ever had the Hep B series. I've been tested for Hep B and do not have it.

I can't make up your mind for you, but know that Hepatitis B can be contracted from a dried spot of blood that was missed during cleanup. This is why it is usually highly recommended, if not mandatory, for health care workers.

eta: To be fair, though, many people will never even know they were infected.

Edited by Ailaena

What a great job -- a privilege to be supporting those women.

I'm pretty anti-vaccinations for low-risk people, but this sounds your risk could indeed be greater. IIRC, it's one of the vaccines with lower risks of side effects (but I could be wrong on that), and in your situation, I think I'd probably get it.

Thanks to all who responded. That is pretty much my take, as well, but I wanted to get some other perspectives. I believe I will be doing it.

What a great job -- a privilege to be supporting those women.

Yes, I am very excited to be doing this. These are ladies/teens who may not have other support. I might be the only person with them who is non-medical during the birth. It is the coolest job ever, though not very high paying. I think that the "pay" will be in non-monetary intangibles.