Menu

Anyone who was homeschooled yourself?

hmalbumaker

Is there anyone on this board who was also homeschooled as a child? I was not, I went to school and I loved it. We decided to pull my daughter out of school this year and homeschool her for 2nd grade. She is really upset about it. All of her friends are starting next week and she always loved the first day of school. She loved everything about school, she was friends with everyone (even the janitor and the cooks in the cafeteria).

How can I make this special for her? Did you ever wish you were in school? Were any of you pulled from school and homeschooled? Is she going to be okay? I feel like she's going to hate everything about homeschool. How can we celebrate her first day?

Please share some of your own homeschooling special memories, I would love to show her that it's going to be okay. Part of what she likes so much about school is just sitting next to all of her friends and having that "group" feeling. I only have 2 children, so it's not a very large "group" in our homeschool. *sigh* Please, please share your experiences and memories with me. I know everyone is different but she's a very friendly, outgoing girl, who loves friends and being in groups.

I was not homeschooled myself, and I had things I liked about school and things I hated about school.

My daughter started out in public school, too. I pulled her out toward the end of third grade. She was excited about it, but she DID go through a period of what I called "schoolsickness" (think being homesick but not) where she said she missed her friends and so on. It probably lasted a few months. It did taper off and then she stopped mentioning it and now says how much she loves homeschooling and how much better it is than public school and so on.

I'd reassure her that she can keep in touch with kids she was close to if she has their contact number, that you'll be doing lots of fun things while homeschooling (field trips, hands on activities, more family time, more time for extra-curricular activities, whatever it is you want to play up), and just be understanding but firm in that this is what you are doing.

You can of course celebrate her first day though- maybe you can go on a special field trip that she gets to help choose on the day the public school kids go back to school.

P.S. She can get the "group" feeling in other ways. A sports team, a book club, a homeschool group or co-op, scouts, etc.

I was home schooled but under a totally different circumstance- I came home from 7th grade after a short time and refused to return to the school. My parents agreed to homeschool me because they saw how unhappy I was at the school. I stayed home till the beginning of high school when I was ready to go back. It was great for me in every way. I got my social interactions from youth group and friends in the neighborhood.

For your daughter I would make sure she is in some group activities like enrichment lessons, scouting or sports. I would make an effort to stay in touch with her friends from school and I would also look for a homeschooling group that has plateaus or other social activities for kids.

Edited by kijipt

My son was homeschooled K-2 and went to PS at the end of 2nd gr . He loved it and made a lot of friends . He does miss school sometimes but he also likes to stay home , wake up late , finish school early and generally having more freedom. We just put him in boys scouts for that "group" feeling. Hope he'll like it. I do plan to put him back in school in Febr. or March , depending when we finish our curriculum .

I'd say remind her about the advantages of being homeschooled. Have fun Fridays , treats , etc.

Not homeschooled (though, my mom DID do a lot of great "after school activities with us and all summer, so we have good memories of those things.) And, yes, I did enjoy school -- not so much the social aspect, but I just loved to learn. But for your social DD, I'd suggest do things that make very special homeschooling memories and create that group feeling with *family*:

- Many people spend the first day of school going to the beach or a special family outing -- and make a point of how kids going to school can't do this.

- Then, your SECOND day of school, when you're at home, have a special "first day" ritual:

- get dressed up, take special "first day of class" pictures

- have DD clean her school desk

- break out the fresh school supplies

- lay out all the books and kits and materials you'll be using over the year and let the DC look through them, and then help organize them onto the bookshelves, in their desks, etc.

- make a tradition: read a special, fun book (one family on this board says they always read David Macauley's "Motel of the Mysteries" on their first day of school) -- make a special treat to eat while reading.

- Make different days of the week "special" -- here is another recent thread in which families schedule "Media Monday" (watch an educational video); "Tuesday Tea" (special morning tea time and writing); "Wacky Wednesday" (do school in a wacky way); and "Fun Friday" (field trips; do special projects; play educational games; etc.)

- Do you have a relative (one of the DC's aunts or uncles, grandparents, etc) who would enjoy coming over once or twice a month and doing a special project with the DC -- cook, sew, carpentry, etc.?

- Make your home the "social center" -- have all kinds of fun activities one afternoon a week so the neighbor children or DC's friends from the public school or other areas of their lives love to come over and socialize with your DC -- have a big box of dress up clothes and costume parts; have big cardboard boxes for them to create mazes, forts, etc. On a rainy day, have a movie and popcorn afternoon. Do an arts and crafts project -- or set out various craft materials and let the kids make their own stuff. Go for nature walks all together around the neighborhood; collect bugs, pinecones, or leaves; take binoculars and a tree identification book; etc. Do a science experiment with all the kids, or use sun print paper or other fun science kits. Set out buckets of water and paint brushes and let DC "paint" the exterior of the house. Set out "bubble tubs": plastic tubs or bowls with water and detergent mix, and all kinds of kitchen gadgets and bubble-blowing doo-hickeys.

- Your DD may enjoy having a school-like routine for this first year at home -- so get a little flag, and take turns holding the flag and start with the pledge each morning. Use some workbooks or print off worksheets, and have her turned in finished papers into your teacher in basket; return the graded papers in a folder with stickers, stars or other "teacher markings". Start the morning with "circle time" -- we just have 2 DSs, so we just called in "together time" -- for us, that included starting with Bible time; reading from some read-aloud; doing a few pages of various critical thinking books; any memorization work, reading of a poem, doing some vocabulary roots; etc. If your DC are still young, you could use this like a more traditional school time -- learn an American folk song (check out the Wee Sing CDs), have a weather chart, do an activity for learning your phone and address, a cumulative activity in which you are adding on each day, etc.

- Do you have room in your house to create a school room? Or convert a corner of a dining room into the school room to look more "official" for DD? Use a big whiteboard on an easel (or wall mounted) and markers; put maps and a time line on the wall; have student desks, or at least a student-sized work table, book case, and basket of school supplies. Have DD help you organize and prepare the school room or space in advance of school to help her get excited about the way your family will do school at home.

- Find (or start!) a small homeschool group of families with children of similar ages to your children to meet with once a week; our first few years of homeschooling, we met with about 6 other families and planned each Friday of the month as something different: 1st Friday = field trip; 2nd Friday = presentation day (small kids did "show and tell"; slightly older children gave reports); 3rd Friday = Park Day; 4th Friday = "co-op" day -- alternating families led an art, science, or other group learning activity. Once a year, one of the Fridays we would spend more time in advance preparing and have a special "Feast", with food, activities, costuming, crafts, etc. One year it was Thanksgiving; another was Medieval; another was Ancient Rome; another year we focused on the country of Japan.

- For more social time, get involved in some church and/or community groups:

- swim team, martial arts, or other sports

- scouting

- children's theater group or dance classes

- local library book club

- local parks and rec class

- homeschool co-op or weekly PE day

- Awanas (Bible memorization club)

BEST of luck! And may your family make wonderful memories in your homeschooling journey together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added link

I was homeschooled 1-12. My mom pulled me out after I finished K. We moved over the summer, so it was a more natural transition. I don't remember any of this, but she says while I was in K and she was researching HSing, I found some literature that had been left out on the desk. I read it and flipped out! I was so upset, asking how she could DO this to ME. She says that I was upset, until the transition period wore off after a couple of months, and the the "other" stories started coming out. I was in an accelerated classroom, and loved it, but I didn't start seeing the negative aspects of the situation until I experienced the alternative. You can't know the bitter until you have tasted the sweet, I suppose.

I don't remember any of this! I hope that makes you feel a little better. :) As time went by, we liked seeing the school bus go by and knowing that we had another week or two of summer left! Celebrate the beginning of school your own way, several good ideas have been knocked around the board recently. Visit an theme park empty of other kids, make a schultute , give them a new backpack loaded with fresh school supplies and school clothes.

However, I remember when I started high school, I told my mom that I wanted to join a co-op or go to public school. I felt isolated. My mom had not been a member of the co-op b/c she was overwhelmed with schooling her own kids at home, without incorporating more outside activities. I remember there were lots of interest groups, American Girl, cooking, sewing, reading, sports, etc where girls of similar interests could meet, learn and play.

Remember there will be a decompression period, acknowledge their legitimate feelings of loss, and find ways to demonstrate the good side of this new venture while they are missing the enjoyable parts of PS. Good luck!

I have a friend that was pulled out for high school. She was old enough to understand her parents reasons and cooperate with them. But she had two siblings that were in early elementary that were both really upset. She said it took a year or more before they were really on board with homeschooling. Hang in there!

I was homeschooled K-12! I LOVED it, and NEVER wanted to go to public school. I was the youngest child, and so I had a few years of high school alone with my Mom, which was really special. She died last year, and I treasure all our memories. My mom started homeschooling in the 80's when it was still whispered about. :) My sister was in third grade, my brother in first grade of public school when they decided to homeschool.

I was homeschooled from 7-10th grade. My brother was homeschooled from 3rd-9th grade. My brother was having a hard time in school academically, and he had a string of teachers that were not patient or willing to work with him. So my mom decided to pull him out of third grade and homeschool him. When I heard that my mom was going to do this I was jealous and begged her to let me homeschool as well. This isn't the same situation as you have with your daughter. As both of us were happy to be home. However, it was just my brother and I. I look back on those years fondly. I don't think I would have had as good of a relationship with my mom and brother if I hadn't of been homeschooled. And now that I am an adult that relationship matters a lot more than any I would have ever had with my friends.

Some of the things that made me love homeschooling when I was a kid was the fact that I got to sleep in longer than I would have when I was in school. No homework. And, I was always happy to know that I was already done with school by the time I saw all of the other kids walking home from school. Some of the other fond memories I have as a kid were being able to go visit my grandma during the day. Maybe if you pointed out some of these advantages (i.e. sleeping in, getting done quickly, etc.) she may start to like it. And perhaps once and a while you could do something she loves to do during the day when all of her friends are in school. Hope that helped!

I was homeschooled starting in K, so probably makes a difference. I was put in ps with my cousins for a couple/few months in second grade and I did not love it at all. I felt like my whole day was suddenly taken up by ps...long day at class, bus rides, homework...finally got to "socialize" with kids in the lunch room, but then most of the time in there we weren't allowed to talk(??) so we just stared at one another while we ate. I missed my family, I missed my free time, playing outside for hours, etc. My parents promptly took me back out.

So yes, I loved being homeschooled...

-I loved that I was (often) already outside playing before my neighbor friends made it home from ps.

-I loved how my mother would take us to the beach in the spring and fall when the weather here is amazing and you have the whole place to yourself - because everyone else is in school. (BTW, have you ever been to Disney World/Universal Studios in September?? Awesome!!! No lines, rode some roller coasters so many times I got a headache.)

-I loved how I could tag along on a trip with my Dad at moment's notice.

-As I got older I enjoyed the ability to make more of my own schedule and the freedom to work ahead if I chose (or to get a part-time job).

-I love all the memories I made with my siblings.

-I also came to understand the reasons my parents chose to homeschool us, and it gradually became my own view as well.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. Keep in mind, this is also hindsight. I'm sure I had my "moments", but those seem to have faded now.

My advice would be to find some homeschooling friends if at all possible. I was very fortunate to have homeschooling girlfriends my age. These girls were especially important to me through the teenage years...some of us are still close to this day as we attempt to homeschool our own kids now...though we live miles apart. Also, take advantage of the flexibility, spontaneity, and adventure of homeschooling. Go out and explore the world while everyone else is in school. :D (Even if your budget this month only allows you visit the county courthouse or go out on a mother/daughter lunch. ;)) Find her interests and then plan a "field trip". Make lots of memories she will treasure. Who knows? She may be homeschooling her own children some day.

ETA: I wanted to add that I am not naturally as "social" as your daughter sounds. So I would def. look for things for her to be a part of. There are so many things to do if you start looking. Find her some places she can volunteer or help out. There will be even more opportunities as she gets older. I remember visiting nursing homes a lot-I still remember meeting an old Jewish woman, a holocaust survivor who had been in prison as a young girl. I remember helping my mom volunteer at a local soup kitchen--I was so small carrying plates of food out to homeless people. My sister and I helped a woman on her small farm and learned a lot about horses (we even got a few riding lessons thrown in). But the flip side is that homeschooling also helps you to learn how to appreciate alone time and quiet time (this comes more easily for some). You learn how to occupy yourself. You learn that you don't have to have a crowd there to entertain you every day to feel happy and content...

Sorry this got soooooo wordy!

Edited by Amie

I was homeschooled K-9, went to a tiny PS for about a month as a freshman and begged to come home. I think my mom was feeling "done" with homeschooling, but she let me leave PS. I finished HS at home, mostly through self guided study.

I'm not as social as your daughter, but my daughter seems to be.

My oldest has said "I want to go to school!" and has been a little upset that we're homeschooling. I've put off telling her it's permanent. I've just said it's the right thing for us for right now.

For her sake, I'm planning on joining a co-op next spring (this fall is super busy for us in many ways), and as others have suggested, it might help your daughter.

That's the only compromise I can think of for the moment.

The large amount of special time she'll have with you will probably make this much less painful than anticipated.