Menu

Independent Study Latin I

I would love to have suggestions for a program that can be used more independently for high school Latin I. My dd (14) has completed several levels of Latin in the elementary/middle grades (that we're more heavy on the vocabulary) and she is the type of student that learns quickly and enjoys independent learning.

I was looking at Memoria Press's First Form Latin with the DVDs...I'd love any feedback on this program (as well as other suggestions). Thanks! :001_smile:

Ds has completed First and Second Form Latin independently. (I intended to learn along with him, but he left me in the dust!)

He "only" scored the national average on the NLE Latin 1 exam, but most of his incorrect answers were in the history/culture section.

His course averages for both levels were in the high 90s (97 for Second Form!)

Ds has completed First and Second Form Latin independently. (I intended to learn along with him, but he left me in the dust!)

He "only" scored the national average on the NLE Latin 1 exam, but most of his incorrect answers were in the history/culture section.

His course averages for both levels were in the high 90s (97 for Second Form!)

Thanks for posting a response. I'm glad First Form (and Second) can be done independently.

I was looking at Memoria Press's First Form Latin with the DVDs...I'd love any feedback on this program (as well as other suggestions). Thanks! :001_smile:

I personally wouldn't dream of using a program that did not include macrons. Yes, I've read the author's essay on the subject. I've also read Charles Bennett's century-old declaration of the failure of the attempt to teach the restored pronunciation that he himself helped pioneer. I don't find either persuasive.

You have to pick your poison, of course, and there is a great deal to be gained from studying Latin in most forms. Even when you're not using Latin, the intellectual exercise of confronting it pays dividends. But wrestling with an alien system of pronunciation is also a challenge that you'll be the better for having set yourself against.

I suspect that the frustrations that lead people to embrace simplified pronunciation have less to do with the inherent difficulty of restored Latin than with the fact that Latin books give very little guidance about how pronunciation itself actually works. Latin has the makings of a great introduction to the subject of phonetics, and its lessons would pay off in studying not only foreign languages, but also your own, just as is universally acknowledged to be the case with Latin's grammar.

I generally recommend Lingua Latīna per Sē Illūstrāta combined with some book of grammar. I haven't had a chance to look at the grammar book designed to go with the program, but Wheelock's would do. Read everyday, and read aloud. You can get a CD version that includes vocal readings of most of the chapters, though the speaker seems to split the difference between the classical v and the Italianate v, and so it sometimes sounds like a b.

My 6th grader is doing First Form mostly independently (nearly finished and ready to move on to Second Form). My 8th grader uses Ecce Romani independently. Both use CDs but no DVDs.

The 6th grader has suddenly started wanting to work on her own without waiting for a 'lesson;' that wasn't the plan, but she seems to be doing fine, and I will start scheduling some discussion and oral review time with her. A high schooler should have no problems. Remember, there is no reason he can't read a teacher's guide just as well as you can - hand it over! Both Ecce and First Form have the background/guidance bits separate from the exercise answers (FF actually has a different book for workbook answers).

Artes Latinae was one of SWB's recommendations in the first ed of WTM. I think it was on cassette tapes then and it was a bit cumbersome to use. I have it on CD and I understand there is a newer DVD version now. It is expensive, but completely independent.

I have the CD version also, and keep trying to use it, but it is so. very. boring!