Menu

Survivalists or Preppers- I have a question?

I think there does seem a bit of fantasy or hope for the worst from some, which is why I don't listen to the big talkers about such things. I do also think that there can be denial and such on the other side as well.

Growing up fundemental Baptist it reminds me a lot of the rapture talk. At least every few years someone was coming out to say that it God was coming, that day would come and go and that would be that. It's not much different in the 'fundy' survivalist camp- there is always someone else saying- the end of the world is coming--- y2k for example, last year or the year before there was big talk about 'peak oil' when gas was high, then just this month I heard talk that it was going to be on the debt ceiling day and then before then a few other days that our economy was supposed to entirely collapse right then.

I do feel it prudent though to be prepared for the what-ifs in some way. We had an ice storm a few years back and were out of power for 5 days some people not even an hr south were without power for weeks. But we also have definite things to prepare for, like replacing an aging vehicle at some point. Dh and I had thought about buying some larger property so we could build a more self-sufficient place(which be easier in ways than retrofitting various things around here) but we also feel it very unwise to take on debt. We also struggle with the idea that we've put in a lot of work here, do we continue to work here and take full advantage of the property we have? Do we try to aggressively act on another property where we'd pretty much have to start over on some things? How much to save in case of short term problems such as layoffs and such? How much to put towards reliability self-sustaining measures?

As Rivka also said I know we're woefully far from being entirely self-sufficient and sometimes it feels like what's the point.

I think the point is to do the best we can to take care of our families. I have a young daughter and I have a single mother. I want to put ourselves in the best situation we can.

When the Zombie Apocalypse happens I am heading to my friends house. He has taught his kids what to do when the invasion happens.

In the meantime, I am trying to get us a few months supply of grain, rice, beans, other non-perishables and water. I am saving up for a water filtration system.

Dh would like to invest in a rifle but I am leary of the idea. I am not really a gun fan.

We learned from the folks that were poor without electricity or much of anything 100 years ago or so... it's really not difficult to have the base supplies and methods of food/water/heat/shelter and build from there.

IMO, it is difficult if you live in a densely-populated area, such as certain areas of New Jersey.

We are forced to live in the now, right now. The best I can do is keep a little extra food in the house. When we go grocery shopping, I get a can or two more then we need, and maybe an extra bag of sugar, or beans. We don't have much of a supply at all.

I did the same thing two years ago... bought a few things here and there when I could. And then shtf for us. the food I collected, over a year, kept us fed (not well fed, but fed) for 2 and a half months. It isn't much, but it's better then nothing. Weither the entire economy crashes, or just your families, having extra stuff on hand is importaint.

I would rather not be living in an apartment that I could easily be kicked out of if worse comes to worse. I would rather be in the middle of no where, with a knowledge of gardening, and raising animals, that way we are the ones giving the help and not the ones in constant need.

That being said, it isn't just about having items and knowledge. How many of us are physically able to survive? Im an asthmatic and wouldn't last long with out my medicine... I also need glasses to see and would be in trouble if I couldn't get them right this minute because I am down to my last pair of contacts... oops.

Because in the city, the food chain is more likely to be disrupted. In rural areas, people work with their hands more. There are lakes for fishing, land to hunt for food. You can't do that in the city. Plus, in the city you have to worry about riots and roving gangs more than in the rural areas, where "most of the time" its the good guys with the guns. And that is just a TOTAL generalization.

I guess I'm coming to this from the perspective of an urban person who grew up in a suburb (which I think would probably be the worst option for where to be). We've got lots of open land and a growing culture of urban agriculture here (we have several small farms within a few miles of our home, which is just blocks from downtown), so I wouldn't be too concerned about food, because people could make do and there's enough people here with the knowledge of how to do so.

I guess I'm coming to this from the perspective of an urban person who grew up in a suburb (which I think would probably be the worst option for where to be). We've got lots of open land and a growing culture of urban agriculture here (we have several small farms within a few miles of our home, which is just blocks from downtown), so I wouldn't be too concerned about food, because people could make do and there's enough people here with the knowledge of how to do so.

It totally depends on the "city" your in. I live in Alabama. So really the only place I wouldn't want to be is the rougher parts of Birmingham. Even the "suburbs" aren't what a lot of people would call a suburb. So I totally get what you are saying!

The reason your friend has a large mortgage is because he expects inflation to go up. When that happens, his house payments will seem very small.

yeah. dh loves the story of the family in the weimar republic who paid off their farm with a dozen eggs.

I

The funny thing is shortly after we paid off our mortgage, I made a comment to my FIL about never going into debt for another house again and he thought I was nuts and he is fairly financially conservative.

dh made an interesting observation, he'd rather have the money to pay off the mortgage investing somewhere at a higher interest rate (our mortgage rate is very low). the money can be accessed if needed to pay off the mortgage. If things go south and you have to flee - you don't loose your shirt becasue all your money is tied up in a piece of real estate. I know it's not what most conservative financial advice is, and is rather counter-intuitive in sound econominc times, but these aren't. He does have degree's in econ and related fields.

we considered getting guns, and just felt a calm peace that they would not be needed for us. We too are trusting in God on that one. If we felt like we should get them for defense, we would.

We will have the money to pay off the house in about 1.5 yrs but we aren't paying it off. We aren't putting it into any high risk investments or such though, our interest rate is super low as well. I still wouldn't want a large mortgage though, it is a gamble I'm not willing to take, we are on a 15 yr note and in a bit over 5 yrs it will be paid off anyway.