Menu

somehow this trend in education doesn't make sense to me!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, I think I might've gone nuts doing 21 credits.

Also, I tried to use math to make my point clearer, but my apologies if that's just added a level of confusion.

I didn't use any calculus :lol:

lol I think I added that level. I was a bit aggravated about the notion of lopping off two whole years of college with high school AP classes! lol No can do! I promise I am no longer aggravated --and rather chuckling at my own initial aggravation. lol

I never think of the AP exam as anything beyond proof that my daughter is doing the level and quality of work that her transcripts reflect. College credit is a good thing but certainly not the reason for the AP exams we have taken. The CLEP tests are absolutely terrific for discerning whether or not a certain subject is one which might be a major for your student. I am glad to shell out a couple hundred bucks for texts, the exam and the credits to find out that my darling offspring is not interested in government or politics as a field of emphasis. That is valuable far beyond the college credit and or evidence that she can do college level work. The PSAT certainly does ring a few bells. Very nice mail still coming and by gosh she needed the external validation that her labours are not unnoticed. I think any external,objective validations are also valuable to the student particularly those who are not in a group setting where they gain a realistic assessment of their relative strengths and weaknesses.

What sort of college gives any sort of credit for an AP score of 3??!

It means you did well enough in a high school class.

Most state schools do and they'll give credit for a C in a cc class as well. It's made my son think less of them than other schools he's considering (this son is a top stats kid). Most upper level privates require a 4 or 5 if they give credit.

Otherwise, yes, one can get enough credits from AP to skip a semester if one wishes - perhaps even a year, but I don't know about that. That's never been our goal. I want my guys to have the full four year experience, but I don't mind if they place out of some basic classes with credit, then have room to take other things they would prefer taking.

Stanford will give credit for many AP exams

At Stanford, students with 5's (and sometimes 4's) can get elective credit towards graduation, but AP's typically don't count towards one's major or for general STEM core courses. The student simply places into a higher track of the particular core course. There was basic chemistry, physics, calculus, etc. open to all students, and then there was a higher-level track for those with 5's on the AP exam. I took the lower track because my high school did not offer any AP science or math aside from AP Bio, while my DH took the higher track since he had 5's on the exams. The advantage of passing the AP exams was not financial but rather that it got the student into a class that looks stronger on a transcript.