Menu

I need instructions (advice, link, book rec.) how to use math manipulatives, PreK

***places bag over head***

I have no idea where to start with math manipulatives (other than counting and basic patterns).

I will be doing a little bit of preschool at home with my 5 year old this year. I think he would totally dig all of the fun math manipulatives (counters, shapes, geoboards etc)....but honestly, I'm not quite sure what I should be saying to him to help him learn from it while we are playing.

I think he would think that an abacus is fun...I noticed that there are different types...some have 5 beads in 2 colors, some with all 10 the same color? Is that for learning how to count by fives?

What should I expect him to learn before Kindergarten? (we are working on number recognition and counting currently).

Is there a good book or website that I can look at...or just any advice?

Thanks for any help!

I'm not the expert here, but I think at his age he can learn a lot through play.

What about picking up a copy of "MathTacular" and watching it together? My kiddo still likes to watch these videos and "teach" me using his manipulatives. That might be an idea.

Watching this thread for more ideas. :)

I can't direct you to anywhere, but I can explain how we use them.

It is a lot of patterns and basic counting, at this point.

We have a jar of counting animals, I'll take out a handful and toss them onto the floor. Then I'll ask Dd, "How many cats are there? How many animals are blue? How many animals landed on their heads?". We also do quite a bit of adding and subtraction with manipulatives.

Dd loves Tanagrams. I printed out several pictures from various sites and she got the hang of it right away.

Dd's favorite activities involve 1:1 correspondence. I copied 10 spotless ladybugs and her job is to put the spots on using mini chocolate chips or raisins.

Good luck and have fun!

I used this (not latest edition but so what and cheap) book

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Mathematics-Elementary-Middle-Schools/dp/0130116815/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

to give me an intro to math education philosophies and scores of pages on manipulatives, place value mats, games, etc.

For me (a parent and teacher novice) I decided to approach math as if I was a child, and used the manipulative myself, to play with. I learned that it is more basic than you think. 2+3=5, right? Well, this has been ingrained in you. The tabla rosa of a child needs repeated basic introductions to this. (I am also still using this book as it goes all the way up to algebra.)

I also learned something with a brush up on Piagets levels of understanding. I tried the containers test (two shapes, same amount of water, could pour from one to the other, kiddo still picked the bigger around one as holding more. He was 3). If you have any familiarity with kids, this won't be needed, but I didn't, so it was.

P.S, my son loved The Numberlies at about age 4. Made the numbers more people-like, and made him love them enough to focus on them more.

***places bag over head***

I have no idea where to start with math manipulatives (other than counting and basic patterns).

I will be doing a little bit of preschool at home with my 5 year old this year. I think he would totally dig all of the fun math manipulatives (counters, shapes, geoboards etc)....but honestly, I'm not quite sure what I should be saying to him to help him learn from it while we are playing.

I think he would think that an abacus is fun...I noticed that there are different types...some have 5 beads in 2 colors, some with all 10 the same color? Is that for learning how to count by fives?

What should I expect him to learn before Kindergarten? (we are working on number recognition and counting currently).

Is there a good book or website that I can look at...or just any advice?

Thanks for any help!

Don't use manipulatives to "count." No counting objects!

If you want to count, then count hand-claps.

With concrete (or pictorial) manipulatives concentrate on seeing "groups."

Seeing groups of one, two or three is really simple. Four is a little more advanced, as is Five.

After you hit Five, have groups that can be seen as Five plus (whatever number, let's say Two) so we have 7. 5+2 is 7.

Here are a few ways you could express "7" with homemade cards (imagine the asterisk is a big dot):

You can make cards (or use popsicle sticks) to make Tally marks. Again this makes groups around Fives.

The RS AL Abacus is bi-colored to promote seeing in groups of Fives. The key with this abacus is not to count the beads, but to "see" them.

You may want to consider RightStart if you are the sort who likes to follow directions.

I love Cuisenaire Rods (which also discourage a tendency to count). Miquon is a great program to introduce math based around C Rods. Best if you are more the improvisational type.

Whatever you do, try seeing groups. Not counting. This is important for laying a solid math foundation.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you so very much! ...such great ideas here.

Bill, thank you for setting me straight with "counting"!!!!!!

Watch for yourself how your child's mind works when she is confronted with seeing "groups." You should be able to see it in her eyes. She will need to "reason" and discriminate—just a little, to be sure—but this activity starts building the mind and developing thinking skills. It is also much better for mathematics.

The best math programs will teach a child to be able to see (and re-group) numbers in sophisticated ways. Being able to see a value, say 7, as a "whole" that can be split into "parts" of 5 and 2 (among other ways) is a fundamental skill. It is imperative to develop these skills, and counting is counterproductive to that end.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

Could you elaborate on using manipulatives to help a child see groups?

Do you quiz the child as you flip through flash cards, or do you put together activities that help the child learn through play, or do you point out groups when you see them, or something else?

How young a child do you start this with?

Is "seeing groups" the main goal you have for a preK child?

Thanks!

Bill,

Could you elaborate on using manipulatives to help a child see groups?

Do you quiz the child as you flip through flash cards, or do you put together activities that help the child learn through play, or do you point out groups when you see them, or something else?

How young a child do you start this with?

Is "seeing groups" the main goal you have for a preK child?

Thanks!

:lurk5:

Bump...I'd love any advice on this as well :)

Thanks!

I highly, highly, highly recommend Ruth Beechick's books. Her 3R's Series covers reading, writing and math. The math portion has a lot of information about how children learn (concrete, representational, abstract) and gives many pratical suggestions for games, manipulatives and number lines.

Her books is really expensive under $8 and is all you need for grades K-3 in the above subjects.

Best investment ever.

We used some homemade cards, but tried to avoid the "flash-card" mentality.

We tried to make understanding groups as activities, play, and real world experiences.

Imagine setting the table. Or having toys, and more arrive, or some leave. That sort of thing.

If mommy has 3 apples in the bag, and she is going to get 2 more, how many will she have altogether?

We also used Cuisenaire Rods heavily to see how a value (say 7) could be 7, 6+1, 5+2, 4+3, 3+4, 2+5, or 1+6.

It is good to start cultivating these re-gouping skills in fun ways as they are foundational in whole-parts math.

Bill

Thank you again, Bill...and thanks Denise for the book recommendation :)

"cottonmama"...I bookmarked these two links...they both had some ideas. The first is a Right Start Math sampler, and the second is a printable book with ideas for C-Rod play...they might be helpful :)

http://www.alabacus.com/Downloads/RightStart%20Level%20A%20Sampler.pdf

http://www.nurturedbylove.ca/resources/cuisenairebook.pdf

Have you seen this? http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

I'm using this with my girl, and am just now figuring out what I need to collect for MEP Reception. (Scroll down the page a bit.)

Rosie

Thanks!

I like this:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/Tx1a.pdf

from the MEP site.

Thank you, everyone. I'm positively drooling over the Rightstart sample, but my "student" is 3 years old, so we have some time before we're doing anything formal. Just trying to get my mindset right as she's learning counting and such.

Are there any pre-k/K games books like Family Math For Young Children, or Games For Math, or Math Play that support this way of thinking? Obviously the RS games would, but I would rather just make my own games...

Thank you, everyone. I'm positively drooling over the Rightstart sample, but my "student" is 3 years old, so we have some time before we're doing anything formal. Just trying to get my mindset right as she's learning counting and such.

Are there any pre-k/K games books like Family Math For Young Children, or Games For Math, or Math Play that support this way of thinking? Obviously the RS games would, but I would rather just make my own games...

I have been wanting to buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Math-Activities-Small-Lively/dp/0876591888/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315346625&sr=1-4

It is for ages 3 to 7! You buy it and let me know if it is any good, LOL :)