Menu

X-post - Teaching Textbooks pre-algebra no longer working for us

My dd has been using the TT pre-algebra book and doing just fine until now. It seemed to have worked great for review of things already covered, but we just now got to the chapter where they are starting simple algebra problems this week, and have discovered a couple problems. First of all, it is just entirely too wordy and confusing for her in its explanations. Secondly, I don't like the way you read the lesson, then do a bunch of review problems before even doing any problems related to the lesson.

Therefore, I am searching for another pre-algebra for her to pick up where she is in TT. We would like something less wordy and with a good practice set for the new lesson before moving on to review. The thing we do like about TT is the constant review of previous lessons. Would Saxon work this way? Or is it pretty much like TT? I would appreciate any suggestions you smart ladies can give me!

My dd has been using the TT pre-algebra book and doing just fine until now. It seemed to have worked great for review of things already covered, but we just now got to the chapter where they are starting simple algebra problems this week, and have discovered a couple problems. First of all, it is just entirely too wordy and confusing for her in its explanations. Secondly, I don't like the way you read the lesson, then do a bunch of review problems before even doing any problems related to the lesson.

Therefore, I am searching for another pre-algebra for her to pick up where she is in TT. We would like something less wordy and with a good practice set for the new lesson before moving on to review. The thing we do like about TT is the constant review of previous lessons. Would Saxon work this way? Or is it pretty much like TT? I would appreciate any suggestions you smart ladies can give me!

From your post it sounds like you are only using the books. Are you also using the DVD's?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Each lesson in Saxon reviews, reviews, reviews...Teaching Textbooks does the same thing on a lesser scale. (We have used both programs for several grade levels, so I am speaking from experience.)

Maybe something like Lial's Basic College Math (BCM) would work. It focuses on one thing at a time with cumulative reviews at the end of each chapter...so there is review, just not every single day.

My son found this format to work much better...more practice on new things with occasional review and less hopping around within a lesson. We had a few times where we had to go back and re-teach a topic, but not often...

I was pleasantly surprised at how much he remembered from one cumulative review to the next...

Edited by Robin in DFW