Menu

I'm sorry, ma'am, but have you noticed that your child stutters?

Dobela

:boxing_smiley:

:rant:

:banghead::mad:

Yes, this was said to me today by a stranger. Well meaning I am sure (in her mind) but it irks me to no end.

When I replied that yes, we were aware of it and she is in therapy to address it, this woman then proceeds to follow me (in WalMart) to tell me all the things she has read about stuttering and to continually ask me invasive questions that were not her business. She would not go away even when I told her I was not going to talk to her about our private family business. Once she tried to talk to dd around me so she could teach her slow breathing exercises that would help her. Ugh. I finally had to go to the family bathroom where I could lock us in and stayed a really long time. What is it with some people???

Oh, I'm so sorry. I can't believe the nerve of that woman! Like you really would not be aware of any thing your child had going one. Good grief.

I've never dealt with anyone quite that intrusive, but I did have a woman recommend I medicate my preschoolers once. My oldest kids were .... maybe between the ages of 2-4. They were little at any rate. And I had gone clothes shopping. THey thought these racks looked like great fun and were playing hide and seek. Well, I was trying to catch the attention of both children at one time, so I could let them know together that they were not to behave that way in the store.

This woman comes over and starts telling me how her children used to behave the same way as mine were right then and it was because they had ADD. She put them on medication and it made such a difference! She recommended htat i medicate my children because they would behave so much better if I did.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this too. My daughter was adopted internationally and for some reason people feel it's ok to question me, in front of my daughter, about "how much she cost", "does she speak English" and my favorite.. "why not just adopt from the US?".

I'm sorry you had to deal with this too. My daughter was adopted internationally and for some reason people feel it's ok to question me, in front of my daughter, about "how much she cost", "does she speak English" and my favorite.. "why not just adopt from the US?".

Both of my children are adopted and we have had similar questions. I could go on and on with some of those. One of my favorites was when someone asked my 11 to son recently if he realized he and his sister were adopted. Well, duh. We are different colors, he was there thru all of her adoption trials, and we have been open about it. And if we hadn't been open about it, where did this person ever think it was their place to inform my children??? I told that person that I thought they were stupid and rude.

What :banghead: is :banghead: WRONG :banghead: with :banghead: some :banghead: people???!!??

I'm so sorry that you went through that. I would have had some choice words.... You handled it beautifully!

Well, I had some other words, but I didn't want my very vocal dd to over hear and use them herself LOL. THanks for sharing my anger.

Well, I had some other words, but I didn't want my very vocal dd to over hear and use them herself LOL. THanks for sharing my anger.

Yeah, I'd have had some other words too, and I might not have been as restrained as you.

We could start with 'Mind your own ****ing business' and go on from there.

Oh, how horrible. So sorry!

To adoptive parents, I can relate somewhat. Ours was a domestic adoption, and people make "unique" remarks about how "I didn't know you could get white kids in the US ". OMgoodness.....ignorance and inane comments abound.

:boxing_smiley:

:rant:

:banghead::mad:

Yes, this was said to me today by a stranger. Well meaning I am sure (in her mind) but it irks me to no end.

When I replied that yes, we were aware of it and she is in therapy to address it, this woman then proceeds to follow me (in WalMart) to tell me all the things she has read about stuttering and to continually ask me invasive questions that were not her business. She would not go away even when I told her I was not going to talk to her about our private family business. Once she tried to talk to dd around me so she could teach her slow breathing exercises that would help her. Ugh. I finally had to go to the family bathroom where I could lock us in and stayed a really long time. What is it with some people???

That was a person with issues. Highly inappropriate, yes. She could benefit from some social training. If you ever encounter that again, maybe you could recommend some therapies and techniques for her to help her. Special needs catalogs offer learning games for social situations. Maybe they could make one called "The Walmart Shopping Game". The goal of the game is to find the items you need and then pay for them at the checkout without bothering Dobela or any of the other customers. :D

I could not agree any more. I have also had "Is he yours?" thousands of times. Once in a supermarket I had a woman run up to my then 1 1/2 year old and start asking him, in Spanish, if I was mommy or if he was kidnapped. He could not even TALK at this point, never mind understand Spanish and I was floored that someone thought that was acceptable. :confused::confused:

So yes, it would not surprise me to have someone come up and inquire about stuttering (my son does as well) right in front of my son. Some people are just dumb. :glare:

I could not agree any more. I have also had "Is he yours?" thousands of times. Once in a supermarket I had a woman run up to my then 1 1/2 year old and start asking him, in Spanish, if I was mommy or if he was kidnapped. He could not even TALK at this point, never mind understand Spanish and I was floored that someone thought that was acceptable. :confused::confused:

So yes, it would not surprise me to have someone come up and inquire about stuttering (my son does as well) right in front of my son. Some people are just dumb. :glare:

My daughter is AA and we had a kidnapping incident too! It was 4 years ago on a lazy morning at the zoo. My husband and dad were with me, thankfully b/c this guy was HUGE! He was threatening to report us to the police (claimed he used to be an officer) and he was pointing us out to other zoo patrons, claiming he was suspicious! HELLO... if we were going to kidnap a kid, don't you think we'd pick one that looks a little more like our family? I ended up calling the cops on HIM before he called on us.

My daughter is AA and we had a kidnapping incident too! It was 4 years ago on a lazy morning at the zoo. My husband and dad were with me, thankfully b/c this guy was HUGE! He was threatening to report us to the police (claimed he used to be an officer) and he was pointing us out to other zoo patrons, claiming he was suspicious! HELLO... if we were going to kidnap a kid, don't you think we'd pick one that looks a little more like our family? I ended up calling the cops on HIM before he called on us.

As LittleWMN knows, we had a kidnapping incident as well. When ds was 3, my dh and my dad took him to a local amusement park. He was crying as they were leaving so someone called the police with their license number saying that 2 white guys were abducting a small black child. The police had an unmarked car find and follow them home and eventually we had to show adoption papers. Of course 'just as a formality' since ds was obviously happy and with people he knew once the police decided to approach.

As LittleWMN knows, we had a kidnapping incident as well. When ds was 3, my dh and my dad took him to a local amusement park. He was crying as they were leaving so someone called the police with their license number saying that 2 white guys were abducting a small black child. The police had an unmarked car find and follow them home and eventually we had to show adoption papers. Of course 'just as a formality' since ds was obviously happy and with people he knew once the police decided to approach.

:svengo: Oh my. And so sorry about the nosy lady at Wal-Mart.

My sister just adopted twin babies who are obviously a different race than she and her husband (who is also obviously from a different part of the world than she is) - I hope she never runs into this problem - that's nuts!