Menu

Your experience with timeline books?

ChrissySC

I was looking at the Wonders of Old and a few other timeline books.

I will be getting the figures and using some of our own (such as for the scientists and other marked events in history, not just figures).

If you have used a book, did you buy the download and print to construct your own still? Did you purchase a book assembled and bound?

Did you have enough space? Did you finish it?

Did you add other things?

Do you suggest another book?

Edit:

Add A Century

History Through the Ages

Hold That Thought

Timeline for All Time

"blogged about my friend's timeline book"

Anyone finish a timeline book? This is not encouraging!

Edited by ChrissySC

:bigear:

I am wondering how these books can be used for multiple children spaced too far apart to combine history. I like the looks of the Pandia Press timeline, but we don't have the space for a wall timeline...a book seems more compact and less likely to be crumpled by my curious. 3 year old!

:bigear:

I am wondering how these books can be used for multiple children spaced too far apart to combine history. I like the looks of the Pandia Press timeline, but we don't have the space for a wall timeline...a book seems more compact and less likely to be crumpled by my curious. 3 year old!

The great thing about the Pandia Press timeline is that you can store it in a binder though! You don't have to wall-mount it. And you can stretch it out when you want to look at it, and then fold it back into the binder--it's like the best of both worlds.

I have used a book version in the past but I dislike not being able to see the flow of time at a glance. Merry :-)

A few years back I bought a used copy of the Sonlight Book of Time for my older ds. My younger ds wasn't ready for one yet. My older ds loves his timeline book. Last year I found a beautiful used copy of the Wonders of Old timeline book which I bought for my younger ds. I loved it so much, I offered to get the same kind for older ds, but he said he likes his better. They add to them and will continue to do so for some years to come.

We add figures as I think of it.:D I have used the figures from Hannah's hs help group and some others. I also finally realized last year that it is very easy to use google images to create my own. So, we have added composers, artists, and the usual history ones. This year we will continue with that and maybe some other ideas will come up. Oh, I forgot, we put images of covers of books that are placed in a certain point in time. ie. Little House books. I like making that connection.

Oh, I forgot, we put images of covers of books that are placed in a certain point in time. ie. Little House books. I like making that connection.

Let me see if I understand this ... A book, A Red Badge of Courage, would be placed in the late Civil War period or when the book was written by Crane in the late 1800's?

I like this idea.:001_smile: Would do all literature or just historical fiction and living texts?

Let me see if I understand this ... A book, A Red Badge of Courage, would be placed in the late Civil War period or when the book was written by Crane in the late 1800's?

I like this idea.:001_smile: Would do all literature or just historical fiction and living texts?

I guess whatever would have more meaning for your child. We put it in the period the book is set in. Actually, I think that makes more sense. They get a sense of the time period from the book (hopefully) and then can make the connection on the timeline.

Hi, all!

I'm beginning to think this board is dangerous on my wallet. I keep thinking we are finished buying materials for this school year (starts Wednesday!). Then as I compulsively troll these boards, I find new things to add in!

I'm starting my first full year HSing my DS (7--second grade) this week. We're going to do a combo of Beautiful Feet with TruthQuest to stretch BF's Early American History (primary) over the two-year TQ schedule (I wanted/needed the BF grid to give me a clue).

I wasn't going to do a timeline b/c DS hates cutting/pasting. But now that I've looked at Wonders of Old and the Homeschool in the Woods timeline books/binders, I'm hooked. They look lovely! AND I found stickers to use http://rainbowresource.com/pictures/042770/23a8967bf42fedec8e529cf0 (don't know how to make that neat link people seem to do). But I can't tell how large they are/what is included in the 200 stickers.

Has anyone used this Classical Education Timeline Sticker Packet? Any thoughts? It's only $6.50 at RR. Then again, should I just fork over for Amy Pak's whole American set of figures (still haven't decided btwn her timeline book or Wonders of Old)? Or are there other sticker sets out there I'm missing? (stickers are way better than glue for my messy boy).

I saw that Sonlight has special HSITW figures for its book (not as pretty) that are stickers you cut out. I suppose I could buy their ones for Am Hist and use them in the prettier book, right?

Any and all advice is welcome b/c I'm pretty clueless!

christina

Hi, all!

I'm beginning to think this board is dangerous on my wallet. I keep thinking we are finished buying materials for this school year (starts Wednesday!). Then as I compulsively troll these boards, I find new things to add in!

I'm starting my first full year HSing my DS (7--second grade) this week. We're going to do a combo of Beautiful Feet with TruthQuest to stretch BF's Early American History (primary) over the two-year TQ schedule (I wanted/needed the BF grid to give me a clue).

I wasn't going to do a timeline b/c DS hates cutting/pasting. But now that I've looked at Wonders of Old and the Homeschool in the Woods timeline books/binders, I'm hooked. They look lovely! AND I found stickers to use http://rainbowresource.com/pictures/042770/23a8967bf42fedec8e529cf0 (don't know how to make that neat link people seem to do). But I can't tell how large they are/what is included in the 200 stickers.

Has anyone used this Classical Education Timeline Sticker Packet? Any thoughts? It's only $6.50 at RR. Then again, should I just fork over for Amy Pak's whole American set of figures (still haven't decided btwn her timeline book or Wonders of Old)? Or are there other sticker sets out there I'm missing? (stickers are way better than glue for my messy boy).

I saw that Sonlight has special HSITW figures for its book (not as pretty) that are stickers you cut out. I suppose I could buy their ones for Am Hist and use them in the prettier book, right?

Any and all advice is welcome b/c I'm pretty clueless!

christina

I hate glue too. I plan to print from historical figures and the web (wikimedia) onto sticker paper. I can cut and peel ;) Do not use glossy sticker paper. I want my dd to be able to color the figures.

As well, you can use the glue dots from the scrapbooking section. They also have double stick tape and sticky squares. All are awesome options if you use pre-printed figures/events.

However, I still have not decided on a book. *sigh* Anyone finished one of the ones linked?

I hate glue too. I plan to print from historical figures and the web (wikimedia) onto sticker paper. I can cut and peel ;) Do not use glossy sticker paper. I want my dd to be able to color the figures.

As well, you can use the glue dots from the scrapbooking section. They also have double stick tape and sticky squares. All are awesome options if you use pre-printed figures/events.

However, I still have not decided on a book. *sigh* Anyone finished one of the ones linked?

Thanks for the ideas, Chrissy! I'm not crafty, so all I could come up with was ye olde glue stick. The glue dots or double-sided tape sound good.

I know what you mean about picking which book. I *think* I've narrowed it down to Wonders of Old OR the HITW Record of Time. Now I'm trolling to find them used/new, and maybe letting that decide which one I buy? I'm all decided out!

christina

I always have grand plans about what kind of notebooking the kids will do, what beautiful timeline we will construct, etc. and the truth is they never get done. What does get done is the Sonlight Book of TIme. My 2 olders share one book and they've had no issue sharing. They take turns coloring the SL sticker figures and placing it in the book. I like the idea of putting book covers in the appropriate place. I also plan to print small icons of Orthodox saints and add them in since SL doesn't have those.

I always have grand plans about what kind of notebooking the kids will do, what beautiful timeline we will construct, etc. and the truth is they never get done. What does get done is the Sonlight Book of TIme. My 2 olders share one book and they've had no issue sharing. They take turns coloring the SL sticker figures and placing it in the book. I like the idea of putting book covers in the appropriate place. I also plan to print small icons of Orthodox saints and add them in since SL doesn't have those.

Exactly, I want to finish the book. :lol:

I haven't gotten a "yes" for any other book than Sonight, but it might be the integration that affects the completion of this timeline.

When I first started hsing I went w/ SL's Book of Time for my then 2nd grader. In 8th grade he is still using it! I purchased Wonders of Old for my 2nd child. It is much nicer than the book of time. Now it has come time to buy for my 3rd and I just can't fork over the money- $25 for Wonders of Old, ugh. So, I have opted to make my own. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do this on the computer so I used a sharpie and ruler and drew lines. Lots of them! I pretty much copied the books I have, with one change. The TL books I have space every 100 years until AD, then they start doing intervals of 25-50 years. Seems like TWTM (or maybe MOH?) says to keep your spacing consistent so children can see how imp. events start happening closer and closer together. I think I'll keep AD at 100 years. I've put them in page protectors and will put them in a small three ringed notebook. I've always used the HS in the Woods stickers from SL and have learned through the years that the stickers don't always find their way to the right dates. I'm thinking dd will put her stickers on the page protectors themselves so they can be removed if she makes a mistake. So that's what I'm trying this year, we'll see how it goes!

Edited by jentancalann

So, Sonlight is the only timeline book that anyone really uses and finishes, LOL

One KQ Wonders user ...

Does the cover have any funny text that would make a user not want to use it becuase they do not use Sonlight? Did that make sense?

nope, just a few hs in the woods timeline figures on the front w/ book of time written on it.