Menu

When a child wants to play a sport then

I would inform said child that he made a commitment to the team, and that commitment includes showing up for practice. Team sports are not about individual preferences. They are about doing what is best for the team. If he wants to continue to play football, he will show up for practices, with no complaining. Perhaps the coach could talk to him.

But also, at 11, if he reallyreally wanted to quit, I would let him. I don't see the value in forcing young children to continue with an extracurricular that they don't like.

Tara

He needs to finish the season and make an effort. And IF he wants to sign up to play again, he will have to write and sign a contract stating that he will go to practice without complaint and participate fully. But if he doesn't want to play football again, I wouldn't make him.

This is something we just dealt with, but it was band instead. We talked over the requirements of the class before he signed up for it, making sure he was aware that his effort affected everyone else. The first month or so, all was great. Then he slowly slid downhill to where he wouldn't practice at all. We gave him an out at the semester break - choose to practice or choose to inform the teacher you are dropping the class. He chose neither. So after the second semester we removed him.

I will say he had an amazing teacher. He is very patient with the kids and sent us a great letter after we expressed our concerns about our son. He said it's something he sees a lot of with 11-12yos and they do grow out of it. Also asked to have our son come back, which made the decision even harder.

We've decided this year to focus on a solo instrument instead. And solo sports. He did swimming this summer and will be learning golf next week. When he's ready to work with a team again we'll consider it.

Somehow all of the issues last year tied into each other and were all about organization/self discipline. This year we're doing our best to get him taking care of that with things like a new chore chart, daily schedule he writes out, action plans for long assignments..I'm really hoping it's just the age and he'll turn it all around quickly.