Menu

teaching an auditory learner how to read

warriormom

I'm sure the experts will be along soon, so for the moment I'll offer my two cents. What makes you say your student is an auditory learner? As far as I'm concerned, reading is an auditory activity, because it is a sequential activity that involves hearing the sounds in your head. I would think any traditional phonics program could work, unless there is a problem with vision (in which case I'd recommend seeing about getting that fixed).

as you will soon see with an auditory learner, it doesn't matter if the "audio" is built in or included. They will make it happen by talking about everything while they are learning, doing everything out loud (driving your other learners bonkers) and singing about everything they are learning.

So...I dunno. It doesn't matter much what you do, they will say it, sing it, hum about it, and talk it anywway. :lol:

I used Adventures in Phonics by CLP to teach both my kids to read and it is an awesome program. It is effective, inexpensive, and easy to use. Neither kids loved the process but it sure worked. My auditory learner needed less repetition than my visual learner, and I made sure to demonstrate the lessons quickly and accurately verbally for her.

I think my child is an auditory learner because my child listens to a song on the radio and know the song enough to sing along. My child picks up on the inflection in my voice and mimics it when they talk. Dd sings all of the time.Dd was an early talker. I just know my child.

I have a visual learner who was a late-talker but early reader.

I have a visual learner who was a late-talker but early reader.

Do you mind expanding on that, if a hijack is ok?

I have a late talker who is currently delighting in learning her alphabet. Why does a kid who can't speak in full sentences want to learn her ABC's? Maybe that's not weird, but it seems so to me. :lol:

Rosie

Do you mind expanding on that, if a hijack is ok?

I have a late talker who is currently delighting in learning her alphabet. Why does a kid who can't speak in full sentences want to learn her ABC's? Maybe that's not weird, but it seems so to me. :lol:

Rosie

I know it seems strange. I suggest you read Thomas Sowell's "Late Talker" or "Einstein Syndrome". Children who are late-talkers can be EXTREMELY bright. They develop at their own pace. My son could read before he was potty trained at 3 1/2. Totally backwards but that is just the way God made him. I would encourage you to nudge them in their area of interest. Buy fridge phonics from leapfrog, get "The Talking Letters Factory" from leapfrog, purchase foam letters and play Patti Labelle's ABC on you tube. The talking will follow. I did have to take my son to speech therapy because of disfluent speech. The school district is paying for speech therapy although he does not go to public school.

My daughter is an auditory learner, I know just what you mean! Sings and talks all the time, LOL! A very creative and joyful child. I second the idea to look into methods that are multi-sensory. You might check out All About Reading. I haven't used that but love their spelling materials which are also multi-sensory, they work very well for both of my kids. You might enjoy these free pre-reading booklets that they have on their site--In the Kitchen with Zigzag Zebra, and Safari Stories--they look really cute! Hope you find something that's a perfect fit for you & your daughter. Merry :-)

I used HOP Classic K-2 (not using sight words, using the CD's) and then SL Readers before I learned DD8 is an auditory learner. I'm sure hearing the Cd's was helpful. Now we use PR for LA, she will be starting PR2 next month as part of 3rd grade. She still does the SL Readers too. PR has worked well with all of my DC regardless of type of learner (we did not use it to learn to read) but my auditory learner has been known to be singing the songs all over the house just for fun. :lol:

Edited by melmichigan

My auditory learner indeed makes any program auditory. I really think a strong phonics program will work. But for this kid I did hands on teaching of phonograms (we saw them, said them, traced them in sand, wrote them on a bumpy surface--each time saying them as we did x). We used I See Sam and then Progressive Phonics as well. Reading really is auditory--they are reading a loud, saying sounds aloud, etc. so don't over-think this.

My auditory guy likes the Phonics Road songs. He could already read and we're using it for spelling and grammar but I wanted to mention the program for auditory kids.

I wonder about Sing, Spell, Read, Write too. I've not seen it but I imagine that would appeal to an auditory kid.

I know it seems strange. I suggest you read Thomas Sowell's "Late Talker" or "Einstein Syndrome".

That one is already on my list. Someone else recommended it to me a few weeks back.

Kids are funny, aren't they? She's learning her letters; spoken, written and fingerspelled. I can't wait to get to "z is for zombies" :tongue_smilie:

Rosie