Menu

Phonics Pathways vs. Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading

diaperjoys

Can anyone highlight the differences between these two approaches?? I've looked at samples online, but can't see beyond the first few pages. What do you like/dislike about each?? Has anyone tried both and preferred one over the other?

I'm looking for an oral approach to teaching my youngest child to read.

She is flying through ETC Primers, but isn't ready to do Book One. I'd like something we can use while snuggling on the couch...

I've used both through the years. Ordinary Parent's Guide is scripted while Phonics Pathways is not. With OPG, you are getting step-by-step what to do. With Phonics Pathways, you get sounds and then words to go through with the child. I use phonics tiles to have my son build out the words on a white board (much like OPG).

I personally like Phonics Pathways and have been using this summer for remediation with my son. However, many people on the board have been very happy with OPG and appreciate that it is scripted. Perhaps one of them will jump in here.

If it's not possible to get one or both from the library or a friend, I would go with Phonics Pathways, preferably in combination with Reading Pathways. I own both, and respect both...but I prefer PP. One thing to consider is that the typeface and size of PP is far more conducive to having your child sit on your lap. OPGTR, in part because it is scripted and has so much teacher text, is confusing. I wish they'd come out with a student's edition that just has the words - but then you can just use Blend Phonics or Word Mastery for that!

I've not used OPGR but I did consider it. However, I chose PP because it was unscripted and I felt it would be more adaptable to teaching using different methods. I like to switch up how I teach so that my dc don't become bored or complacent. On the couch one day, on the whiteboard the next, on the back door, on paper, turn the lesson into a game with letter tiles...it keeps them interested. I also liked that I could move forward or back up for review or reinforcement of only those areas I felt we needed when I felt I needed to.

When I was making this decision, everyone said that PP & OPGTR were very similar, but PP was the "fun" version. I of course chose PP. I just could not figure out how in the world to do it. Maybe if I had taught a kid to read before, I would have understood, but I just did not get it. Finally gave up and got OPGTR which has "Instructor say this..." "Child should say this - if they don't, do this." It tells you EXACTLY what you need to do - you can't mess it up. It's not the most fun I've ever had, but it is effective, and I'm confident that I'm not screwing up this majorly important thing!

How much hand-holding do you want? If none, go for PP. If you need more, get OPGTR.

I used OPGTR....it got boring quickly. We got through the first 30 lessons, and it was working ooookaaay, but man, it was boring for ME. Plus I didn't want to say every little silly thing it told me to say....I mean, I CAN think for myself, ya know. Plus the whole singing the letter song....ugh.

Used a few other things, and finally landed on PP.

LOVE it! First, like others said, the font is BIG so my child can read it.

The pages are not too busy (though still a bit busy, so I have to block off the parts we aren't reading)

Not sure why others didn't understand how to use it. It is actually pretty simply laid out. Start sounding out letters, and blending them. First I do it, then DS does it. Then DS does it by himself. Sometimes I read a word and DS has to point to it. Sometimes vice versa.

Yes not word for word instructions, but about 3 pages of instructions for the parents at the beginning. After that, there are simple instructions on each page. But the pages are really basic. Letters and words. Not alot of instruction needed if you read the first 3 pages.

One thing to consider, OPGTR starts by teaching the child the basic sounds of each letter. PP starts assuming the child already knows that. The first lessons are sort of review, but definately a REVIEW...meaning the child would not do well with those pages if they were not already comfortable with letter sounds

I am using PP with both DS8 and DS5....going wonderful for both!!

I am using PP - I like it because it has a lot of blending practice which is something my DD needs. I just open the book and point to the words and have my DD read them to me although I might try using the letter tiles like PP suggested as well as my DD likes that type of thing. Otherwise it is the easiest thing in the world to use.

I prefer PP, too. I've used/am using it with all 5 of my sons, and it is very straight forward and works well.

I helped a friend homeschool when she was sick several years ago and she used OPGTR and I just didn't like it. By the time I used it I was already very familiar with PP, though, so that might've clouded my opinion.

I would check your library to see if they have them so you can give both books a test run.

I looked at OPG (got from the library -- check ALL the library systems around you or interlibrary loan), but it looked too...well, boring. DD looked at it and refused to try it. She is more visual and needs a little eye candy to get her cooperation. :D I used 100EL (the one per lesson B&W pic and bigger font is sufficient, I guess) and started ETC as follow up.

You really should get your hands on a copy of both and try a lesson or two and see how YOU (and dc) like them. I think any of the will work fine, but they have different strengths, weaknesses, and styles and you'll be using it daily for quite a while, so it's worth finding out which is best for your family. :)

Well, I tried OPG with my oldest and it was a dismal failure (but then found out he is dyslexic so take that with a grain of salt). I am now using it with my 4 and 5 year old and it is going very well and they enjoy it. Here's what I've tweaked though:

1) They both knew sounds well so we started past the beginning (one at lesson 27, the other a little ways past that).

2) I have AAS and we use the tiles from that a lot which they really love

3) I do not have them read out of the book...I write it on a dry erase board. Takes a minute on my part but it works much better

4) I have TONS of readers (Bob, Veritas Press, HOP, Sonlight, etc...) so they do one of these for "fun" each day. I think without that it would be dry. Basically we do 10 minutes or so of instruction from OPG and then snuggle up and read a book that matches well with what we're learning.

The way I look at it, OPG is providing me a clear, sequential order for solid phonics instruction. I am providing some extras to make it enjoyable for the kiddos. It has been very effective so far.