Menu

Archeology study - help me make it fun for a week

momee

I was trying to add in something hands on to my older dd's first week. She's beginning History of US book 1 and I was thinking some kind of roped off dig and some fun internet research (she's not usually on the computer so this would be "cool").

Any ideas?

TIA

ps we live near Jamestown and I did find this which looks very very interesting...oh yeah baby, I love living in Virginia :) we are going!

http://www.youtube.com/user/JamestownRediscovery#p/u/20/c-KnzMbsXIE

Dig is a great site with some fun links and activities. If you can get the magazine they have lots of interesting articles as well. How old is your dd? My husband is an archaeologist and has a number of activities for various age groups. I can pick his brain and share some of his suggestions. Our kids are totally immersed in archaeology, lol. They start going to the sites with us when they are tots. Put a 4 yo in a bunch of dirt and they are happy for hours!

Dig Magazine is a great website with some fun links and activities. (I would have linked, but the forum isn't letting me post it :001_huh:) If you can get the magazine they have lots of interesting articles as well. How old is your dd? My husband is an archaeologist and has a number of activities for various age groups. I can pick his brain and share some of his suggestions. Our kids are totally immersed in archaeology, lol. They start going to the sites with us when they are tots. Put a 4 yo in a bunch of dirt and they are happy for hours!

They are digging currently at Jamestown (the real one, not the recreated one). When we went two years ago, they showed us the screens and how they washed stuff, and what they were digging up. They also described what they'd found and how it changed their ideas of things at JT. It's fascinating!

You can do lots with Archeo. Set aside your trash for a couple of days, don gloves and masks, and go thru it with your child. See what kind of information you could glean from it--talk about how the trash piles ancient people left behind are gold mines of info for archeologists!

You can show how they measure off a square--and do one in your yard or at a park (just don't dig). Make a corresponding grid on paper and put some objects out in the yard in the square--chart where they were found on the paper.

You can break a flower pot and try to recreate it--talk about the lip and markings on the sherd, and how an archeologist "reads" pottery and can determine where and when it was created, partly because there were certain standard ways of making it in certain areas at certain times!

We did this with our then- 1st and 2nd grade DSs! It was fun! I can't remember now *exactly* what got buried, but it was a good dozen items, and we used the sand pit, so it was easy to unearth the items. We used garden trowels, and then old paintbrushes for "delicate work". (lol)

We first read "Archeologists Dig For Clues" -- *fabulous* intro into what archeology is for gr. K-4 -- then spent about 20 minutes digging in the roped off area (criss-crossing string tied to garden stakes every foot, marking about a 4' square grid), and drawing the findings in relationship to the grid and where they were found; then we had a short discussion, trying to "interpret" what the items told us about the "culture". (DC dictated, and I wrote it out for them.)

I vaguely recall that I had selected a variety of types of things -- like a few eating utensils -- maybe even a few old chicken bones, too (how/what was eaten); a few toys (which reflect both play, but toys are often "the culture in miniature"); a piece of trinket/play jewelry; a weapon (toy sword, to show type of military); a figurine (for religious interpretation); etc. I also tried to include items made of different materials (ceramic, wood, plastic, metal, etc.), which also tells you about the culture's resources and knowledge in working with various resources.

If you have upper elementary-aged DC, you could first have them create artifacts out of Sculpty clay, and then bury those, and then have them excavate and interpret. If they don't let their siblings see their items before hand, then the interpreting will be even more interesting! ;) Also for upper elementary/lower middle school ages: check out the archeology resources at Mr. Donn's website. I don't know if it was on Mr. Donn's website, but I remember reading about an activity for those gr. 5-8 students: paint a clay flower pot with a design and several colors. When dry, place it in a plastic bag, tied shut, and throw it on the ground several times to break it into at least 20 pieces; open the bag, remove a few pieces and throw out, then bury the rest and let the student excavate and reassemble (and yes, realistically, a few pieces will be missing "in the sands of time"!).

And while you're at the library looking for "Archeologists Dig For Clues", you might also look for David Macauley's book "Motel of the Mysteries" -- it is a *hilarious*, tongue-in-cheek look at archeologists of the distant future "interpreting" a motel room and bathroom as a temple and inner sanctum. :lol: I remember someone on this Board years ago saying that their family read that book every year on the first day of school as a funny kick-off for their history.

Have fun! Our archeological dig was a great way of getting into history our very first year of homeschooling! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

And while you're at the library looking for "Archeologists Dig For Clues", you might also look for David Macauley's book "Motel of the Mysteries" -- it is a *hilarious*, tongue-in-cheek look at archeologists of the distant future "interpreting a motel room and bathroom as a temple and inner sanctum. :lol: .

We loved that book too! Also, depending on age, there is a Horrible History Archaeology book that gets read a lot around here.

[quote name=

And while you're at the library looking for "Archeologists Dig For Clues"' date=' you might also look for David Macauley's book "Motel of the Mysteries" -- it is a *hilarious*, tongue-in-cheek look at archeologists of the distant future "interpreting" a motel room and bathroom as a temple and inner sanctum. :lol: I remember someone on this Board years ago saying that their family read that book every year on the first day of school as a funny kick-off for their history.

What age group would you say this book is geared towards?

Archaeologists Dig for Clues is for K-3rd grade, I would say. It's a Let's Read and Find Out Science book.

There are other great books for older kids - Usborne and Kingfisher each have a decent one and there are some good narrative ones as well. I used to teach a middle school archaeology course and it's always great fun. There's a Magic School Bus episode too.

Some of the things we did:

* reconstructing painted flowerpots from a pile of shattered ones

* sifting sand for small "artifacts"

* surveying a field for "artifacts" - pasta

* trying to draw a picture of a vase from just a few shards (there's a way you do this with graph paper and angles that is kind of cool)

* excavating plastic tubs for "artifacts" - harder than it sounds if you've made "strata" with all kinds of things - I used to make the kids do a serious recording process about the layers and the location in the tub of the artifacts because archaeology is destruction, after all

* rotting strawberries in various "environments" to explore archaeological preservation - under a heat lamp (desert), in some water on the window sill (jungle), underwater in the freezer (arctic), under water in the fridge (ocean)

* counting tree rings to think about dendrochronology

* doing seriation activities with pictures of old cars (that one doesn't work for kids who are really car experts)

I'm in a hurry or I would post more - I've taught this a bunch of times and it's always fun.

What age group would you say this book is geared towards?

- Archeologists Dig for Clues = K-3 or 4

- Mystery of the Motels = gr. 5+, BUT, younger grades, even down to grade 1, if they have a good sense of humor and you read it aloud/together discuss it, would most likely get it and find it humorous