Menu

If you like Jane Austen..

What books would you recommend?!

The first one I read and really loved was Helen. Next, for me, was Belinda. Now, I'm thinking I should re-read these since it's been a while and the two are becoming confused in my mind! Like Austen, Maria Edgeworth's works will have something new to say to you each time you read them. The link below has a great review of Helen and reflects many of my thoughts about her works, including the depth of her writing --which makes it go far beyond the 'romance' classification.

http://www.amazon.com/Helen-Maria-Edgeworth/product-reviews/1169345077/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I've read Belinda, Helen (very long), and The Absentee. I just started Ennui today and it's looking good too.

You're right, they aren't 'romance', but they are very similar to Jane Austen - a good love story with lots of other good stuff there too. KWIM?

If you look for Girlebooks on the Kindle store there are several of her books for free or $.99.

I saw this thread yesterday and immediately added the author to an ever-growing list of titles/authors I keep to read someday. I checked the library's online site and they didn't have any of Maria Edgeworth's books, so I thought I'd look for them next time I'm at a used book store.

THEN, today, as I was reading volume 2 of Elswyth Thane's "Williamsburg Series", one of the characters mentioned reading Maria Edgeworth!!! My eyes about popped out and I reread that sentence again just to make sure I'd read it right!!!

I thought it a funny coincidence that, never having heard of this author before, I read her name two days in a row! I will definitely be on the lookout for her books at used book stores! :)

Thanks, OP, for posting!

How funny! I'll have to go look that up now. I read Northanger Abbey years ago, but I wouldn't have noticed that at the time.

Same here. Now, I'll have to reread Northanger Abbey too! :D Of course, rereading Jane Austen's books HAS been on my list of books for awhile now . . .

It turns out that at least Helen and Belinda are available on Google books for free in EPUB format. Thanks for the tip, I'm downloading them to my Kindle right now.

I just found them on Project Gutenberg. Helen is listed as "Tales and Novels -- Volume 10" and Belinda is "Tales and Novels -- Volume 03".

Thanks to the OP for suggesting a new-to-me author!

Actually Jane Austen makes fun of Maria Edgeworth - the Mysteries of Udolpho in Northanger Abbey

No, she is making fun of Anne Radcliffe who wrote The Mysteries of Udolpho (which is also a good read). Austen mentions Edgeworth in defending women novelists within Northanger Abbey. Here's an interesting article that explains their relationship. I think I remember reading that JA read and enjoyed Edgeworth.

http://austenprose.com/2009/11/10/maria-edgeworth-%E2%80%93-one-of-jane-austen%E2%80%99s-favorite-novelist/

Shannon

No, she is making fun of Anne Radcliffe who wrote The Mysteries of Udolpho (which is also a good read). Austen mentions Edgeworth in defending women novelists within Northanger Abbey. Here's an interesting article that explains their relationship. I think I remember reading that JA read and enjoyed Edgeworth.

http://austenprose.com/2009/11/10/maria-edgeworth-%E2%80%93-one-of-jane-austen%E2%80%99s-favorite-novelist/

Shannon

And the plot thickens...

Ok, not really. Thanks for all of the info! Now I wonder if I can get around to Northanger Abbey before summer ends.