Menu

Hamster help please! I'm almost in tears.

I have no idea what to do. My dd's hamster got her little leg stuck in the corner joint of the cage. I managed to bend the cage enough to get her free but the leg looks pretty bad. She's not bleeding, but it looks like the leg may be broken. Obviously this little critter isn't going to let me take a look without biting, and I have no idea how to tell if a trip to the vet is necessary.

Heck, I don't even know if our vet will see a hamster or even if the cost is worth it. I read somewhere that injured rodents will not eat or drink and could die of dehydration even if the injury isn't life threatening.

DD is still sleeping and I'm going to have to tell her when she wakes up. This is going to cause major distress. She is very sensitive and does not handle pet injury or loss well at all.

I'm just about ready to cry thinking of telling her.

I think I'd have to take it to the vet.....even if it's just to put it out of it's pain and put it to sleep.

: (

Why am I crying about this? It's a flipping hamster.

You are right. I need to find a small animal vet. So much for re-checking my potassium levels at my own doctor's office this morning. Hamster health is so much more important than my own when my sweet little girl is involved.

Ugh.

By the time it was late enough to start making phone calls, the hamster was walking around, eating and drinking. Her leg is clearly broken but she seems to be happy. I think she will be okay. She's not using the leg but there is no blood.

We got her a new glass enclosure, then went a little freaky homeschool and made scenery for the background, a sign that reads "The time traveling hamster" and added flames and a picture of the great fire of London. All of this is now taped to the outside of the back of her new home. The kids decided the hamster will get to travel to all of the places we study in history this year.

She's even gotten into her wheel tonight and has eaten part of a carrot chunk.

Edited by springmama

FWIW, we've had a hamster break its leg. We took it to the vet and she said there was not much they could do. The hamster seemed OK and was moving eating and drinking. We took it home and it lived another 1.5 years. Of course that hamster appeared to be indestructible. She also survived not one, but two, trips to the cat's mouth...

By the time it was late enough to start making phone calls, the hamster was walking around, eating and drinking. Her leg is clearly broken but she seems to be happy. I think she will be okay. She's not using the leg but there is no blood.

We got her a new glass enclosure, then went a little freaky homeschool and made scenery for the background, a sign that reads "The time traveling hamster" and added flames and a picture of the great fire of London. All of this is now taped to the outside of the back of her new home. The kids decided the hamster will get to travel to all of the places we study in history this year.

She's even gotten into her wheel tonight and has eaten part of a carrot chunk.

Your kids are awesome! :001_smile:

Don't panic if the hamster removes the leg herself. I, as a child, had a gerbil do this after injury.

Oh my gosh. I am so glad you told me that. A little creeped out at the thought of having to remove a leg from the cage, but glad to know that it happens sometimes.

Oh my gosh. I am so glad you told me that. A little creeped out at the thought of having to remove a leg from the cage, but glad to know that it happens sometimes.

Hope it doesn't happen :001_smile:. It depends on how much it bothers her or gets in her way/slows her down. Our three legged gerbil did just fine though. :D He lived a full and happy life.

Well, yeah....I guess my post made it seem like I'm glad they remove their own legs, lol.

Not really. I'm glad to know that it happens so that in case our hammy does do that, I won't have to have a panic attack.

I think I should probably go to bed now. Or at least stop posting things on the internet. I make no sense lately.