Menu

Librarians (or anyone who works in a library)...

Our library system lets people make requests for books that the library should buy. You must submit the request electronically & eventually, there will be some sort of reply to the request.

I recently requested that they buy a book. I got a response back that said, "Because of the age of this title, we will not be able to obtain a copy for the collection...."

Really? This book was first published 2 whole years ago (Sept. of 2009). Do libraries only purchase 'new' stuff (as in, published in the last 6 months or so)? It is a title that is readily/easily available on amazon, as well as many other places.

Just curious. I'd love to hear from anyone who is 'in the know' or could make an educated guess.... :bigear:

ETA: The book I requested is a fiction novel....

Edited by Stacia

Our library system lets people make requests for books that the library should buy. You must submit the request electronically & eventually, there will be some sort of reply to the request.

I recently requested that they buy a book. I got a response back that said, "Because of the age of this title, we will not be able to obtain a copy for the collection...."

Really? This book was first published 2 whole years ago (Sept. of 2009). Do libraries only purchase 'new' stuff (as in, published in the last 6 months or so)? It is a title that is readily/easily available on amazon, as well as many other places.

Just curious. I'd love to hear from anyone who is 'in the know' or could make an educated guess.... :bigear:

ETA: The book I requested is a fiction novel....

IME, librarians are unlikely to order older fiction unless it is a classic or has significant current appeal because they tend to sit on the shelf and add little to nothing to the overall depth of a collection. I would not purchase an older fiction book unless there were a current demand for it. One request from one patron wouldn't be enough demand for me to consider it. For one patron, or even just two, I would offer to bring in the title via Interlibrary-Loan, which in my province includes all public libraries. Someone probably has a copy. However, if I received requests from several patrons, I would seriously consider the purchase even if it added nothing to the collection overall.