Menu

What do you think of Veritas Press Cards and Memory Songs?

These are not the same songs as used in Classical Conversations correct? I would like to have something like CC does to work on with my younger kids. Do you think the cards and CD would be a nice addition? We use Tapestry of Grace for History. These are the ones I would get: http://www.veritaspress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=000502

000502.jpg

Love the cards and use them regularly! We don't use the CD at all. Partly, cause we got the cards when I started a Foundations program and thier history sentences were different.

Also, we are memorizing the dates along with the titles of the cards (which, unless CC has changed things, they don't do).

We are using the history cards this year (we do every year)- all of them because we are doing a world hx overview.

We are also adding in Bible cards this year. I've made art clips so that our weeks worth of cards can be out and visible throughout the week.

LOVE VP cards- they are a fantastic learning tool. I'm even making some of my own using LM and Amy Pak's CD.

I bought the VP cards for US history and the CD. I plan to have DD go through them each day and see how it works for us. The one thing I've noticed, though, is that VP and my iPod don't seem to like each other. I usually have DD's memory work/music on shuffle in the car, and I don't think the VP songs, even though they're on the playlist, have played yet!

These are not the same songs as used in Classical Conversations correct? I would like to have something like CC does to work on with my younger kids. Do you think the cards and CD would be a nice addition? We use Tapestry of Grace for History. These are the ones I would get: http://www.veritaspress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=000502

000502.jpg

We are using TOG year 4 and I am considering doing the same thing with the VP cards/CD.

I've been mulling these over as well. We're in TOG Year 1 with Ancients though so it looks like we'd have to order the Egypt and the Greece/Rome kits. I also can't get the samples to play on my PC. I think it's something my kids would really benefit from, but it's also a lot of $$$ without being able to hear it first... and without knowing if the programs would mesh well. :confused:

They are different.

CC has detailed history sentences. Each year there is a different focus - this year is Columbus to present. Sample detailed History Sentence: "In 1492, Columbus made the first of four trips to the Caribbean on three spanish ships named the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria."

In addition to the detailed history sentences, CC has students memorize a timeline from creation to present each year. This timeline is just bullet-point items - not details. Just a very high-level timeline of the whole history of the world. They use Veritas Press timeline cards & audio.

The CC materials contain the detailed history sentences. If you want the timeline, that is NOT printed in the CC materials or sung on the CC discs - you buy the Veritas Press CDs & cards. To avoid copyright issues, the only timeline references you will see in the CC guide are "VP Blue card 1" and the like.

The CC materials contain the detailed history sentences. If you want the timeline, that is NOT printed in the CC materials or sung on the CC discs - you buy the Veritas Press CDs & cards. To avoid copyright issues, the only timeline references you will see in the CC guide are "VP Blue card 1" and the like.

And, CC and VP order are not the same. Of course, for those not doing CC that doesn't matter. I prefer VP order, and then you could do the month free of Online Scholar?? :) It's where they do each card, in VP order, for the history cycle you're studying. I've thought of paying for my son to do this... just haven't decided if I want to depart from the (old) CC order that he learned (and we have a song that matched) or if I want to choose VP order... and get those songs.... (they are longer... and have card # and can't remember what else.

Our CC uses a different timeline song with the VP cards -- learned in a slightly different order. My dc love the CC timeline song (only available to CC'ers).

And.... btw, that song was a "no-no" and not suppose to be.... Half way through last year... everyone was "suppose to stop using it".... There were actually a few out there... at least 2 ;)

Our CC uses a different timeline song with the VP cards -- learned in a slightly different order. My dc love the CC timeline song (only available to CC'ers).

Our director doesn't believe in learning the timeline to a song, so we don't have that. It was my understanding that CC didn't have an official version, but some communities had come up with their own. Is that not right?

ETA - Nevermind - just read the next response! :)

Our director doesn't believe in learning the timeline to a song, so we don't have that. It was my understanding that CC didn't have an official version, but some communities had come up with their own. Is that not right?

There were "connections" and the reason your director doesn't believe in it <at least the possible reason> is that VP isn't allowing CC to do an official song. When they come out with their own cards, which is around the corner... we'll see if there's a song to those :) Gotta admit... songs make it better! ;)

There were "connections" and the reason your director doesn't believe in it <at least the possible reason> is that VP isn't allowing CC to do an official song. When they come out with their own cards, which is around the corner... we'll see if there's a song to those :) Gotta admit... songs make it better! ;)

Does that mean a new Foundations Guide & new CDs are around the corner as well? Ugh - I JUST bought those!! Are they expected to be just the same? Or are kids who have already learned the VP timeline going to be expected to learn something different? Not that it would be dramatically different obviously, but still. That may impact how much effort we put into really learning the timeline cold this year. Might put our efforts into another area.

Edited by MeganW

She said it was because the timeline was so long, and if learned to a song, you had to start at the beginning and sing it to figure out where something fit in. Like having to sing your ABCs to know what letter comes after another. She felt it was better to know it without the song.

Ok I got the samples to load and listened to the songs. They are basic but effective. I'm using a PC running Windows 7 and using Chrome browser. Those of you that can't get the samples to load you might try using a different browser.

I actually own the OT/Ancient Egypt homeschool set. It has the cards and the enhanced CD. The VP site lists this set under 2nd grade. I've got a K boy this year. Should I wait to start this set until he's in 2nd grade?

I'll have to pull this out and see if the TM on my enhanced cd has the hand motions. If not I guess I can get them off YouTube.

I'm not sure if you were able to listen to the VP memory song sample...but I'll just say it's not a song you would want stuck in your head all day. The songs sound a lot like the Kathy Troxel memory songs...a little electronic and cheesy. However, they DO get the job done! We use VP along with SOTW and it's been a great combo for us!