Menu

Dr. Hive . . . planters warts

So dd, 12, has this bump growing on the bottom of her foot for about 2 wks now. She has been complaining of pain wrt it. Something made me think wart and I googled images. It looks like a planters wart. Do I need to make an appt with the dr? If so, should I bypass a reg one and go straight to a podiatrist? [i can do that without a referral] OR

Is this something I can do on my own by going to a drugstore?

TIA, new territory here. I'm telling you, this kid has had the most interesting health issues. :tongue_smilie:

My husband just had one recently and he went to the doctor for it. The doctor just told him to roll his foot around on a frozen water bottle for 10 minutes several times a day, which I thought was strange. He also used over-the-counter wart remover along with that. It's been a few weeks and it's practically gone. He caught it pretty early, though, so that may have had something to do with his success.

Planters warts are easy to get from sharing socks and shoes, using communal showers, swimming pools/the area around pools, and coming in contact with anything that a wart has come in contact with especially if it has been bleeding. The immune system usually attacks the virus and takes care of it, but yes some are caused by HPV. Seeing a doctor is a great idea since you have good insurance.

Keep the wart covered until it heals to avoid spreading it to other family members.

But here is my question? How do they get it? It says it is from HPV. :confused:
There are well over 100 strains of HPV. Plantar warts are usually caused by HPV type 1; warts causing cervical dysplasia and cancer are usually caused by types 16 and 18.

We have had complete success with banana skin: cut a small square and put it on the wart under a bandage after shower at night. Keep on all night (and the next day if possible). Repeat every night until the wart dies and peels away. It can take a month or more, but it's painless (just stings a tiny bit) and has worked for both our boys.

Laura