Menu

What is your favorite High School Handbook/Guide?

I am looking for something mainly to help with course descriptions, as well as support in how best to approach college admissions, etc. You know, high school 'stuff'.

I see several offerings...

Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens

Senior High: A Home-Designed Form-U-La

Homeschooling High School

Setting the Record Straight

I'm sure there are probably more out there. I cannot buy them all though and I am a bit paralyzed on which would best serve my needs for high school.

Do you have a favorite?? If so, can you tell me what makes it stand out?

Thank you!!!

I actually rely on all the families here for those answers...everytime I see a post (like Joan's about Calculus) I copy and save it and put it in his folder...same thing for transcripts.

The problem is so much is changing every year, what one book may say now may not be what your child needs in 3-4 years. I know many colleges are going to using a 'common' application for homeschoolers where they do want details on course descriptions...so each year I write up a course description (concise but thorough) and save it in a file on my computer...

I have a 10th grader and really, the ladies here have been an immense source for all things high school.

Has anyone used The High School Handbook by Mary Scholfield? It was recommended to me by my high school adviser, but I can't seem to find one to look through, nor does CHEA have a sample to see. I hate spending $20 sight unseen. :glare:

This adviser is, from that I have gathered, a bit outdated in her curriculum knowledge. For example, has never heard of Chalkdust, My Fathers World, nor any of the other curriclum I am using except for BJU and Abeka. So, though she recommends the above book, I can't help but wonder if it, too, is outdated. :confused:

Thanks Sue! One of the links was actually a thread started by me several months ago, but I totally forgot about it. :confused: Ugh. My poor overworked brain is shot, KWIM? One child left and I'm not sure I have what it takes to get him through high school. Lord help me. :tongue_smilie:

Has anyone used The High School Handbook by Mary Scholfield? It was recommended to me by my high school adviser, but I can't seem to find one to look through, nor does CHEA have a sample to see. I hate spending $20 sight unseen. :glare:

This adviser is, from that I have gathered, a bit outdated in her curriculum knowledge. For example, has never heard of Chalkdust, My Fathers World, nor any of the other curriclum I am using except for BJU and Abeka. So, though she recommends the above book, I can't help but wonder if it, too, is outdated. :confused:

I have the book and it focusses mainly on how to assign credits, calculate GPA's, and write a transcript. It has a separate CA section.

I actually like Homeschooled and Headed for College better. Combining this with the High School Handbook works well.

I actually like Homeschooled and Headed for College better. Combining this with the High School Handbook works well.

This one is great!

http://homeschoolroadmap.com/

The author of this book ("Homeschooled and Headed for College"), Denise Boiko, has spoken to our local hs group twice. She is very energetic and helpful. For instance, she mentioned that she would be contacting each of the 9 UC admissions offices to ask about the change in the policy of admitting hs'ers (and others) based solely on qualifying exam scores ... anyway I asked her about that and she volunteered to email me her findings -- and she did! So I imagine if you have a question, you could just email her and she will try to help. Highly recommended by me, too!

I had this book and sold it. While it can help you relax if you are anxious about highschool, that's about all it's good for in my book. It's very outdated and will only appeal to a certain type of homeschooler.

It does give you the freedom, and some examples of how, to design your own courses and what a student should do to earn a credit.

On second thought, it may be worth the read just to help you relax but it hasn't been a resource that I've gone back to.

OK, I have both Homeschooled and Headed to College and The High School Handbook ordered and on their way. I also got my hands on the Form-U-La book. I agree, it's a bit outdated and not really helpful with my way of schooling as it's more of a school-out-of-the-box-create-your-own-subjects type book...but I am finding some of the lists useful. =)

Good grief! I've spent a lot of money on books today. I hope they are helpful.

Anyone have an experience with any of these books?

Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission, Revised

Jeanne Gowen Dennis

Creating Your High School Portfolio

Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers

The Complete Career, College, and High School Guide for Homeschoolers

Jill J. Dixon

Anyone have an experience with any of these books?

Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission, Revised

Jeanne Gowen Dennis

Creating Your High School Portfolio

Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers

The Complete Career, College, and High School Guide for Homeschoolers

Jill J. Dixon

I have the first and third. The first one is a nice overall guide, but I like the combo I mentioned earlier better. The third is mostly booklists and some ideas for projects for teens: learning how to buy a car, etc.

• 4 months later...
Thanks Sue! One of the links was actually a thread started by me several months ago, but I totally forgot about it. :confused: Ugh. My poor overworked brain is shot, KWIM? One child left and I'm not sure I have what it takes to get him through high school. Lord help me. :tongue_smilie:

Melissa - I did the same thing on a thread! Oh my, what we're gaining in knowledge we're losing in everyday functionality. :lol: