Menu

Pre-History unit

KristenR

I'm getting ready to start a pre-history unit with my 5 and almost 3 year old. My oldest daughter is CRAZY into dinosaurs so I'm sure we'll have a load of fun no matter what we do. I will start with the Big Bang (so, old earth here) and work my way to dinosaurs and evolution. Any one have any fun suggestions I can add while I compile my activities.

I've checked out what Angela did with Satori and already plan on using much of that. Anyone with other suggestions? I found this ice excavation idea and made it using fossils from the ancient fossil tube I can't wait to have my girls play out by the pool and play paleontologist. I got over eager and already made my huge hunk of ice. I had planned on doing the activity near the end of the lesson so my oldest could categorize the fossils by their time periods. But I now have this huge block of ice taking room in my freezer so I think I will start and end my history lesson with it. They can just play with it now and at the end of our unit they can do it in a more scientific way.

I'd love to hear other thoughts and suggestions

Thank you for the book recommendation. I will check it out! This will fit perfectly with the cave painting activity idea I have bouncing around in my head.

Also, Walking with Dinos is already queued up on Netflix. My daughter is obsessed with the Chased By Dinosaurs spin off. She has quite the crush on Nigel Marven.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I will check it out! This will fit perfectly with the cave painting activity idea I have bouncing around in my head.

Also, Walking with Dinos is already queued up on Netflix. My daughter is obsessed with the Chased By Dinosaurs spin off. She has quite the crush on Nigel Marven.

Kiddo also liked:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Wouldnt-Want-Mammoth-Hunter/dp/0531163970

and the Usborne books about prehistory, e.g.

http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/catalogue.aspx?cat=1&area=pz&subcat=pzgs&id=4933

Be sure to read The First Dog. At 6 my son was riveted by Maroo of the Winter Caves. We also liked the Walking with Dinos series.

The First Dog is totally unrealistic, but so cute, it doesn't matter :-)

0152276505.jpg

Edited by Hunter

Be sure to read The First Dog. At 6 my son was riveted by Maroo of the Winter Caves. We also liked the Walking with Dinos series.

:iagree:

We recently took DS to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams and there is a part in the movie where they talk about footprints of what they believe was an eight year old boy, with footprints of a wolf next to them. They said they weren't sure if the boy was running from the wolf or it he was walking with the wolf. Well, DS said he thinks he was walking with the wolf, like the boy in the First Dog!

We recently took DS to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams and there is a part in the movie where they talk about footprints of what they believe was an eight year old boy, with footprints of a wolf next to them. They said they weren't sure if the boy was running from the wolf or it he was walking with the wolf. Well, DS said he thinks he was walking with the wolf, like the boy in the First Dog!
Mine were the only children in the theatre when we saw the film. I was a bit surprised.

We particularly liked the "Walking With..." sequence of documentaries, The Cartoon History of the Earth Vol 1-4 (these are by Jacqui Bailey, not to be confused with the Gonick series), and Maroo of the Winter Caves (sensitivity warning: there's a death, her father IIRC).

Mine were the only children in the theatre when we saw the film. I was a bit surprised.

We particularly liked the "Walking With..." sequence of documentaries, The Cartoon History of the Earth Vol 1-4 (these are by Jacqui Bailey, not to be confused with the Gonick series), and Maroo of the Winter Caves (sensitivity warning: there's a death, her father IIRC).

DS was also the only kid in the theater....but from what the ticket taker (?) said, the afternoon before had a number of families with kids. DS was totally riveted and loved it.

Ohhhh, I had not heard of Cave of Forgotten Dreams. I see it is rated G and I just watched the trailer. Looks awesome! For those of you that have seen it would it keep a 5 year old's attention? How about an almost 3 year old?

Did you guys have any extra lessons or materials to tie into this documentary?

Ohhhh, I had not heard of Cave of Forgotten Dreams. I see it is rated G and I just watched the trailer. Looks awesome! For those of you that have seen it would it keep a 5 year old's attention? How about an almost 3 year old?

Did you guys have any extra lessons or materials to tie into this documentary?

I'd say it depends on your child's interests. DS is six (almost 7) and he's definitely a documentary kid - he likes watching documentaries, so the movie being able to keep his attention was a given. He'd have watched it without fail at three too - but he's that type of kid!

We did some cave paintings this week as follow-up since we did a bunch of prehistory projects when we were doing lessons on the period a while back.

When we got to early man we studied cave art a bit. Then I let my son scour the yard for different plant leaves, flowers, sticks, etc, which he rubbed on paper to make different colors, to see what pigments were in there. Then we taped the leaf/stick/flower, etc on the paper, next to the mark it made, and put it all in a plastic sheet protector. It looks really neat. Then I carefully scorched a stick with a lighter and let him use the "charcoal" to draw a picture with.

post-17065-13535085305752_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085305752_thumb.jpg

When we got to early man we studied cave art a bit. Then I let my son scour the yard for different plant leaves, flowers, sticks, etc, which he rubbed on paper to make different colors, to see what pigments were in there. Then we taped the leaf/stick/flower, etc on the paper, next to the mark it made, and put it all in a plastic sheet protector. It looks really neat. Then I carefully scorched a stick with a lighter and let him use the "charcoal" to draw a picture with.

Sounds great!! Thanks!