Menu

What is your Latin Path?

happygrrl

I have been researching old posts re: Latin curriculum choices. I am having difficulty determining which programs are 'beginner' and which are 'intermediate'. (For example, some of you are doing Latin prep *after* LCII, others are starting with it much earlier, etc.) So I think what I am wanting to know is this:

What is your Latin "pathway" or progression? Meaning- What did you start with, then what are you doing, and finally what do you plan to do next? I hope to do Latin through High School (oldest are in grade 5 next year, with no Latin experience) and want get the foundation right.

(Also, thanks for all your past posts on the subject- I am learning so much!)

but after looking at the Latin Alive samples online, I'm feeling inclined to change my mind. My 10 yo dd will finish Latin for Children (A,B,C) by fall and should be well prepared for Latin Alive or Latin Prep or even SYRWTLL. I have some Cambridge Latin materials on the shelf and some Latin odds and ends - after looking at most of it, I'm convinced we should continue parts to whole with another 2 or 3 years of grammar/vocab/reading and then phase into serious translation. This seems to copy well the progression recommended by the publishers of Latin Alive. I hope to have a plan hammered out by August!

Bells

Here's ours:

3rd: Prima Latina

4th: LCI

5th: LCII

6th -- this fall: Latin Alive 1, ideally continuing with Latin Alive volumes and recommendations in the years that follow.

The Memoria Press recommendation would be to start Henle after LCII.

So far it's not been so much of a "path" as a wandering through the wilderness ;-)

I started my oldest with Prima when he was in 3rd grade. After that, LC I. Then we were getting kind of bored, so we switched to LfC A. Decided I really didn't like the method of learning that both LC and LfC use.

We tried Using Latin Book One. He didn't like it much, though. We tried Henle for awhile, but we both became just bored. So after Unit 1 of Henle, in the middle of 6th grade, we switched to Latin Prep and Lingua Latina.

And here is where we'll stay. Here is my planned path for my next kids:

In 5th grade, they'll start Latin Prep 1 and Lingua Latina. I'm not sure what we'll use before hand to prepare them - perhaps LC, perhaps Lively Latin. It really doesn't matter, as long as they have basic familiarity by 5th grade.

By the end of 8th grade, my goal is that they will have completed the Latin Prep series, as well as Lingua Latina: Familia Romana. Then in 9th grade we can continue with Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna, and Latin authors.

dd12

finish LP1 this summer (end of 6th)

LP 2 7th and Cambridge for reading (she also may take a Ecce Romani Co-op?)

LP 3 8th

SYRWTLL 9th

Cambridge or Wheelocks's (10-12)?

dd7

LL 1 for 2nd and 3rd

LP 1 4th and Cambridge for reading

LP 2 5th

LP 3 6th

SYRWTLL 7th

Wheelock's (9-12)?

What he's done:

2nd grade: PL

3rd grade: LC I

4th grade: LC II

5th grade: Henle (w/first Memoria Syllabus, Units 1 & 2)

6th grade: Henle (w/second Memoria Syllabus, Units 3 - 5) + Lingua Latina (as supplement)

Plans:

7th: Henle (half of the rest of book I)

8th: Henle (finish book I)

9th: Henle II

10th & on: on-line classes, hoping to hit AP level

We are taking Henle very slowly, and it's going very well. Ds and I are learning it together, and I think we're both grasping the grammar. We added Lingua Latina into the mix this spring. My son initially hated it, but now he loves it because he loves the story and the little illustrations that go with it. We'll continue with that next year to give us additional vocabulary and reading practice.

HTH,

Brenda

Ours:

Minimus I and II (optional, from about age 7 or 8)

Latin Prep 1, 2, 3 (around ages 9 to 12)

So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 (around age 12 to 13)

Cambridge Latin GCSE course (online tutoring - around ages 13 - 15)

Latin Reading (15 - 16)

After that, we plan on the boys being in school, and it will be up to them whether they continue Latin.

Best wishes

Laura

So far it's not been so much of a "path" as a wandering through the wilderness ;-)

In 5th grade, they'll start Latin Prep 1 and Lingua Latina. I'm not sure what we'll use before hand to prepare them - perhaps LC, perhaps Lively Latin. It really doesn't matter, as long as they have basic familiarity by 5th grade.

By the end of 8th grade, my goal is that they will have completed the Latin Prep series, as well as Lingua Latina: Familia Romana. Then in 9th grade we can continue with Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna, and Latin authors.

Mama Lynx: What do you consider basic familiarity? I don't want to jinx the whole endeavor by starting out too fast!

Right now both my 10 and 8 year olds are using Prima Latina . I think its a great start into learning Latin at this age level . Has just enough work for this age level without overwhelming them . They are really enjoying learning Latin this way .

This hopefully is our path :

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana 1

LC2

Then Henle .

Its always subjective to change though I really don't want to go curriculum hoping with Latin curriclums either . I do that enough with our other subjects :>)

For my whole to parts learner:

Minimus 2nd/3rd grade

Latin Prep 1 3rd/4th grade

Latin Prep 2 4th/5th grade

Latin Prep 3 5th/6th grade

Cambridge Latin starting at the end of 6th

For my parts to Whole learner:

I may go the route above or I may do:

Song School Latin (once she is reading)

Latin For Children 1 through 3

And their High School Course

But I am still looking at things and she just may follow her older sister's path.:001_smile:

The "plan"...which always seems to change...

2nd- PL

3rd- LCI (with Minimus I and Lingua Angelica I for fun)

4th-LCII (with Minimus II and Lingua Angelica II for fun)

5th- Henle I units 1-2 (with MP guide)...where we will be in the fall

6th- Henle I units 3-5 (with MP guide)

7th- Henle I units 6-14

8th- Wheelock's through Scholars Online

9th- Wheelock's through Scholars Online

10th-12th- Latin Lit (Vergil, Horace, etc.) through Scholars Online with the goal of passing both AP Latin examx...provided they still have them then.

My daughter (10):

What we've done:

Latin for Children A & B

Latin Prep 1

What we're doing:

Latin Prep 2

What we will do:

Cambridge (for a break from LP)

Latin Prep 3

SYRWTLL 3 (maybe)

By then she will be reading original texts, which is my goal for her.

My son (10 also, but ESL and a few LDs):

Now: Lively Latin

Later: Lively Latin 2

Most likely that will be it--my Latin goal for him is brain-training.

Hello Elinor, nice to 'see' you. How is home?

Laura

Home is good...it's nice to be back. We have 3 more weeks here, and then we're heading to San Diego for 7-8 weeks on the boat.

Dh was in HK last week--raced in a regatta over the weekend & hung out at the Pacific Club. He had fun, but said it was weird being over there now without us. He kept expecting me to walk in the door of the PC bar after my workout...

We miss a lot of things about HK (especially not needing a car), but overall I'd say we're happy & adjusting well. The kids are outside playing every second of the day that they are not in school. They really missed the freedom of bike/skateboard riding, tree climbing, swimming, etc. They both spent the night with Grandpa last night, and it is really nice to be back around family--dh & I appreciated the time alone since he was gone 3 weeks in Asia.

Any current talk of moving? I'm still drooling over those links you sent of houses...

10th-12th- Latin Lit (Vergil, Horace, etc.) through Scholars Online with the goal of passing both AP Latin examx...provided they still have them then.

The AP Latin: Latin Literature course is the one being cancelled. The AP Latin: Vergil course remains. On the one hand, a lot of Latin teachers are upset that the Latin Lit course has been cancelled, but on the other hand, there's still the Vergil test. It's important to keep in mind that there are a number of AP foreign language exams and of all the languages tested, only Spanish has 2 tests. All the others -- like French and German -- have only one test. From what I have heard, the plan is to go to just one capstone exam for each language. Don't forget, there's also a SAT Subject Exam in Latin which also carries the possibility of college credit, so you could do the SAT Subject exam one year and the AP Latin: Vergil the next if you want your children to do two exams.

Mama Lynx: What do you consider basic familiarity? I don't want to jinx the whole endeavor by starting out too fast!

I'd like to have had them learn about declensions and conjugations as concepts, at least, before jumping into Latin Prep. I'd like them to already know some vocabulary. It's not necessary, but so far I've found it easier if we've learned that first. I don't think it ever hurts to cover ground more than once, especially in Latin :)

The Latin Prep looks like a nice program . I like how they include stories within the program. But it looks like the pronunciation is different from that then Prima Latina . What type of pronunciation is it ? Is one pronuciation better then the other ?

My son (10 also, but ESL and a few LDs):

Now: Lively Latin

Later: Lively Latin 2

Most likely that will be it--my Latin goal for him is brain-training.

This really caught my eye. My son (11) has LD's, and I am trying to figure what would be good for him, and what to do for daughter (9). I am encouraged to see that two different programs can be done simultaneously!

I'd like to have had them learn about declensions and conjugations as concepts, at least, before jumping into Latin Prep. I'd like them to already know some vocabulary. It's not necessary, but so far I've found it easier if we've learned that first. I don't think it ever hurts to cover ground more than once, especially in Latin :)

Thanks, that's good to know. I really like the look of Latin Prep, but it looks like it would be beneficial to do a more "elementary" program first.... and maybe it would give me a little more time to learn Latin myself.

but after looking at the Latin Alive samples online, I'm feeling inclined to change my mind. My 10 yo dd will finish Latin for Children (A,B,C) by fall and should be well prepared for Latin Alive or Latin Prep or even SYRWTLL. I have some Cambridge Latin materials on the shelf and some Latin odds and ends - after looking at most of it, I'm convinced we should continue parts to whole with another 2 or 3 years of grammar/vocab/reading and then phase into serious translation. This seems to copy well the progression recommended by the publishers of Latin Alive. I hope to have a plan hammered out by August!

Bells

Here's ours:

3rd: Prima Latina

4th: LCI

5th: LCII

6th -- this fall: Latin Alive 1, ideally continuing with Latin Alive volumes and recommendations in the years that follow.

The Memoria Press recommendation would be to start Henle after LCII.

Do you have a link for Latin Alive? All I am coming up with is dance videos! :lol:

Latin Prep uses classical pronunciation. The alternative style is ecclesiastical. The former is an attempt to reconstruct how Ancient Romans may have spoken; the latter is the style developed in the church over the last fifteen hundred years or so. It's just a matter of personal choice: no one pronunciation is better than the other.

Best wishes

Laura