Menu

Best program to teach drawing skills

I would recommend Artistic Pursuits as an overall art program that covers drawing, art history and more. But in addition, I've discovered some really great booklets that focus on drawing skills by a guy named Doug DuBosque. As an art teacher that teaches at a school and also to private students, I'm always looking for helpful ideas for lesson planning, and I've found that these books are really great for me to slip in now and then. I believe that as a homeschool mom with a kid that wants to develop specific skill, you could actually buy a few of these great books and have him/her work on them one-by-one during the school year. Here's a link to a whole list of DuBosque's books on Amazon. Let me know what you think. ;)

Blessings,

Lucinda

I just picked up the following to work on technical drawing skills (more like what I studied in drafting in high school): Complete-a-sketch from Insight Technical Education http://www.sixbranches.com/CAS01.htm I found the second and third volumes at a used bookstore, will likely order the first one. A friend who teaches interior design at the community college said that these look like what she covers in the beginnings of her classes.

Edited by KarenNC

Hi Ann!

It really depends on how "into it" your daughter is. I'm an oil painter/ artist, so some of the things I can recommend might be a bit non-homeschoolish.

Still, one of the very best programs I've found is Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. There is a text book and an optional workbook you can use.

The books are normally used with highschool level art students, but if your daughter is serious about art, you could try it out. Personally, I don't think an 11 year old would have any trouble following the assignments.

Take care!

JD

Edited by Jabberwocky

I've been pulling drawing books from the library. I like Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and some of the others I've read, but I finally decided the Mark Kistler online drawing lessons were more likely to get done. Got them through the HBC and we're very excited. :)

Hi Ann!

Still, one of the very best programs I've found is Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. There is a text book and an optional workbook you can use.

The books are normally used with highschool level art students, but if your daughter is serious about art, you could try it out. Personally, I don't think an 11 year old would have any trouble following the assignments.

Take care!

JD

My 12 year old son, who has quite a bit of natural drawing talent, is working on this independently. He has been doing really well. I have him read portions of the text book (he has found some of it boring, but interesting information), and then do the exercise in the workbook.

My 10 year old son has just started the Thomas Kincaid dvd series from Alpha Omega...it seems to be more his speed and he has enjoyed it.

Blessings,

Angela

I just picked up the following to work on technical drawing skills (more like what I studied in drafting in high school): Complete-a-sketch from Insight Technical Education http://www.sixbranches.com/CAS01.htm I found the second and third volumes at a used bookstore, will likely order the first one. A friend who teaches interior design at the community college said that these look like what she covers in the beginnings of her classes.

Thanks! I just ordered the Complete A Sketch 123 cd for only $33.50 shipped! I think this will be great for my boys, as we can print it off when we're ready to do each lesson, and that way even DH & I can get in on the fun!

Blessings,

Angela

Ooooooo, these look great!!