Menu

Reluctant Writer - High School

Where in the writing process does he get stuck? In other words, are his problems rooted in concrete skills; i.e. spelling, sentence structure, organizing, grammar, etc., or does he struggle with ideas?

Edited by 1Togo

Where in the writing process does he get stuck? In other words, are his problems rooted in concrete skills; i.e. spelling, sentence structure, organizing, grammar, etc., or does he struggle with ideas?

:iagree:

Also, is he writing with a pencil or with a keyboard?

Julie

For the perfectionist, have the student write in ink and teach them to neatly cross through errors and move on. Writing in ink makes it impossible to erase and change...erase and change. The student learns that all writing goes through revisions, sometimes multiple revisions, because their ink paper(s) is a draft.

Edited by 1Togo

I agree that IEW does a good job helping stuck writers get some basics under their belt. I use Units 1-6 from TWSS for elementary and middle school. Those units teach key word outlining, writing a three-paragraph story summary, writing a three-paragraph story from pictures, and short reports. After that, I use Classical Composition, which follows the progymnasmata. I haven't seen anything to compare with the progym exercises for developing ideas. In fact, after the first two levels, every paragraph of every paper requires the student to interact with an idea in various ways; i.e. comparison, cause/effect, support, etc. Memoria Press is offering a three-year track for middle school and high school that covers all 14 levels of the progym.

Edited by 1Togo

• 2 years later...

I agree that IEW does a good job helping stuck writers get some basics under their belt. I use Units 1-6 from TWSS for elementary and middle school. Those units teach key word outlining, writing a three-paragraph story summary, writing a three-paragraph story from pictures, and short reports. After that, I use Classical Composition, which follows the progymnasmata. I haven't seen anything to compare with the progym exercises for developing ideas. In fact, after the first two levels, every paragraph of every paper requires the student to interact with an idea in various ways; i.e. comparison, cause/effect, support, etc. Memoria Press is offering a three-year track for middle school and high school that covers all 14 levels of the progym.

Where do you start with the Classical Composition series after using TWSS for the earlier grades?  Do you get through the last 3 levels or just the ones on the MP catalog?

Thanks!

Nicole

I used level c of the main course for my highschooler when we first started homeschooling her. A couple of the stories were too childish for her, but she didn't mind. Some kids might. We had both the workbook, parent book and the dvds. I found Andrew Padewa's voice irritating, but she liked him <g>. Another negative thing about level c for a highschool, though, is that the kids on the dvds are mostly a lot younger. There are older kids - I can tell because you can hear some male voice change - but you never see them. The kids in the front are definitely middle schoolers and some, not very old middle schoolers. This might bother some high schoolers. On the other hand, if you need it, you need it.