Menu

Standardized testing?

tntgoodwin

We live in NC and are required to take a standardized test yearly. We use the Iowa test, which tests all subjects, because our co-op offers that one, and it's easier for me to tow my kids to the testing center, than to try to offer it at home. Ds does really well because the material it tests happens to be stuff we've already done, but some people find its results inaccurate and unfair because they haven't covered the material. I've looked at the California test, which tests only math and English, and may be suited for more people, but haven't made the change yet. I know there are others, but those are the only tests I've really looked into

Either Seton or Christian Liberty sells the CAT for really inexpensive, and you get the results rather quickly. Plus you can administer them yourself whether you have a degree or not. Some standardized testing require you to have a degree in order to administer it.

I also used used the ITBS for my older two DC last year. I got the test through BJU Press. I liked it and the result sheet, but since it was pricey, I will only use it every other year. Having those test results helps me to feel more confident in homeschooling.:001_smile:

We have only used the Iowa Test of Basic Skills and I order it through BJU press.com. They offer a variety of testing options, the one we do is about $44 per child and I test my kids myself. I really like the score report and how it is broken down by subject area and by subtopics in those subjects & how it compares my child to the national average. I chose the ITBS because I was just getting started in homeschooling, and because it seemed widely used (I wanted to know how my child scores compare with others nationally rather than using our state test that would only compare my child to other children in our state).

I also used used the ITBS for my older two DC last year. I got the test through BJU Press. I liked it and the result sheet, but since it was pricey, I will only use it every other year. Having those test results helps me to feel more confident in homeschooling.:001_smile:

I use ITBS, go through BJU, and use it every other year as well.:)

I have my 2 kids on alternating years so that the cost is only one per year. The test results are fairly detailed. They help me be confident as well, but both of mine are very good test takers. I don't know if I can really take much of the credit. They both look forward to doing them, so it's not a drudgery at all.

I've never participated in testing with my homeschool group because it's a 40 minute drive to the location, but our president was talking about how much fun our group has doing it. Imagine...students having fun with standardized testing! I may reconsider next time.

Either Seton or Christian Liberty sells the CAT for really inexpensive, and you get the results rather quickly. Plus you can administer them yourself whether you have a degree or not. Some standardized testing require you to have a degree in order to administer it.

:iagree: The CAT is what we use. But, our only purpose is to satisfy the state requirement. If I wanted a more thorough evaluation, I would pick something else. The CAT (short form survey or something like that) only tests math and language arts related material.

We've used the Stanford Achievement Test and the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, usually alternating them from year to year. Also, in 7th grade, ds took a free full-length practice SAT at Princeton Review. Another great test that is much more competitive in terms of percentiles than the Stanford & Iowa is the ISEE/ERB. Many private schools offer it, and you might be able to find one that will let your child take it there. The ISEE was about $89, I think.