Menu

Ordered Italic handwriting and don't like it- now what?

Mrs. Lilac

I ordered Italic handwriting A for my K'er boys, and Italic D for my 3rd grader. I got the books today and am just not feeling it. I'm shocked that the A book only covers single letters, and doesn't get them writing words at all. The D book just seems to have small lines and lots of instruction cramped in on each page.

I'm leaning towards getting Handwriting Without Tears K book for my boys (that's what I used with DD in K, and it was fine- the only reason I was going to do Italic with them is because I was switching her to Italic.)

As far as learning cursive- I love HWT in earlier years, but I'm not a fan of their straight-up-and-down cursive.

Any ideas?

I bought Italic A and B for my son, as well as teacher notes. Now that we're moving on, I'm just using the wording for the words from GDI and the blank sheets in the back and making things up as I go (along the lines of WRTR, just a different letter script).

Emily

GDI is Getty-Dubay Italics.

If it is the instruction book you don't like (but still want to continue doing the Italic writing style) then take a look at some copywork pages and free Italic fonts I linked here.

Also if you need more practice (beyond single letters) you may either purchase the GDI blackline masters, or you may purchase the GDI font from Educational Fontware, or purchase the StartWrite program to make your own copywork.

My dd does the WWE1 copywork in Italic. She also used to copy phonograms, spelling words, contractions, homonyms, her name and our address, in Italic.

I bought Italic A and B for my son, as well as teacher notes. Now that we're moving on, I'm just using the wording for the words from GDI and the blank sheets in the back and making things up as I go (along the lines of WRTR, just a different letter script).

Emily

I love letter scripts (precise verbal/written instructions that explain EXACTLY how to draw each letter). Once you memorize the instructions, it is so easy to draw each letter correctly. There is no need to continually look at and trace a model.

Most of our handwriting work is in the form of copywork.

I start with the GDI Blackline Masters Level A (skip the Level A book altogether) and cycle through these sheets until stroke formation is reliable. I then make my own copywork sheets using the GDI font from Educational Fontware. While it's not cheap, I've found it to be worth every penny. Each succeeding year the kids complete the next level's book and then do copywork for the balance of the year. DD the Elder just started The Wind in the Willows and DD the Younger alternates sentences from Phonics Pathways (for spelling) and WWE.

FWIW, I'd be hesitant to jump into Book D if the lines seem too small and would instead step back to Book C.

I ordered Italic handwriting A for my K'er boys, and Italic D for my 3rd grader. I got the books today and am just not feeling it. I'm shocked that the A book only covers single letters, and doesn't get them writing words at all. The D book just seems to have small lines and lots of instruction cramped in on each page.

I'm leaning towards getting Handwriting Without Tears K book for my boys (that's what I used with DD in K, and it was fine- the only reason I was going to do Italic with them is because I was switching her to Italic.)

As far as learning cursive- I love HWT in earlier years, but I'm not a fan of their straight-up-and-down cursive.

Any ideas?

I was disappointed too. I had used the HWT pre K but thought I would try GDI A. We are now back with HWT and will use it for all the print books. As we are in the UK where looped cursive hasn't been taught in schools for decades, I will either continue with the HWT font, adding joining strokes that leads on to joined writing, or I may use one of the Andrew Brodie books.

I was disappointed too. I had used the HWT pre K but thought I would try GDI A. We are now back with HWT and will use it for all the print books. As we are in the UK where looped cursive hasn't been taught in schools for decades, I will either continue with the HWT font, adding joining strokes that leads on to joined writing, or I may use one of the Andrew Brodie books.

I moved from HWT printing to the Andrew Brodie books. It was an easy transition and worked well for us.

Laura

I know you probably don't want to spend more money, but I ordered Penny Gardner's Italic program online http://www.pennygardner.com/italics.html. It's only $10.00 and you can make as many copies as you need (she emails it to you). The instructions and practice sheets are perfect (not crowded, beautiful handwriting, etc.) I actually prefer it over the GDI workbooks for younger children. I didn't think the cursive instruction was very helpful, but the print instruction was just right for younger kids.

Penny gardner's Beautiful Handwriting for Children is the only other Italics program I know of. I hated GD Italics because of the cluttered pages. Your other option is creating your own program using either StartWrite or Educational Fontware and a teaching guide like the HWT teacher's books (I have old ones) or the GD books. Alternatively, ordering books from the UK. Laura is a good person to ask about those.

Edited by Guest

I almost bought the workbooks but ultimately decided to just go with StartWrite. I like the Italic font (and I HATE the HWT font, btw), but I wanted to have more control over the worksheets. My dd hates handwriting sheets that consist of writing the same letter over and over. She puts up a lot of resistance. But she's more than happy to write a letter to her cousin! If I were tring to get her to do one of those GDI workbooks, I would be avoiding handwriting and telling myself that she "just isn't ready". But she totally has the fine motor control and loves writing if there's a reason for it.

On top of it all, StartWrite is a better deal! (Buy it through Homeschool Buyers Co-op.)