Menu

Task Cards

TCB

I have just about decided to use the Creek Edge Press Task Cards for Earth Science. However I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has ordered them and received them (not necessarily the Earth Science ones - any would do but especially any science ones).

My main question is - Do they cover most of the topic over the year / how much do they cover?

Also can you change the order easily or does it only really work to use the set order. I have been putting together my own course as per old ed. WTM recommendations using 'How the Earth Works' as a spine. I've got approx 9 weeks set out but it has been a lot of work. I'm thinking these will take away some of the work but I think I only want to cover Earth this year - not space other than Sun and Moon.

And a final also - Are there any recommendations for experiments on the cards or is that something you need to add yourself - not necessarily experiments set out but ideas/recommendations for them on the cards.

Hope the above makes sense. Thanks for any information you can give.

Trenna

PS - this is for Grades 2 and 6

I got the Geography and Cultures one and plan on using them out of order. (We are doing US Geography this year and World and Physical next year.) I think that will be fine. Also, I found by looking at the recommended books and resources for each set of cards in addition to the S&S it gave me a great idea of what the topics are about. Some of the recommended resources were also science kits and other hands-on items. HTH.

I got the Geography and Cultures one and plan on using them out of order. (We are doing US Geography this year and World and Physical next year.) I think that will be fine. Also, I found by looking at the recommended books and resources for each set of cards in addition to the S&S it gave me a great idea of what the topics are about. Some of the recommended resources were also science kits and other hands-on items. HTH.

Thanks that is helpful. I saw the scope and sequence but was wondering how completely the cards covered the topics on the S&S. Also, I'm wondering if I looked at the right place for recommended books. When I clicked somewhere about books it brought up a list with tons of books of all different levels rather than just a few recommendations. I have a number of books already that I would like to use as resources, it seems like you can use what you have. I was only able to look at 1 actual Earth Science card in the gallery so wondered how thoroughly people felt the topics were covered.

Again, I'm not sure if I'm making sense but I really appreciate the info. I thought the Geography cards looked fantastic too - from the samples.

Thanks

Trenna

The cards are not laminated. I just laminated mine! The recommended book list for core books, reference books and supplemental books come in an introduction book with each set of cards. I haven't started using the cards yet but I believe that there is definite leeway in which books you want to use. It is just important to have appropriate books and resources available so that the child has access to information and can research in an appropriate manner to their level.

The cards are not laminated. I just laminated mine! The recommended book list for core books, reference books and supplemental books come in an introduction book with each set of cards. I haven't started using the cards yet but I believe that there is definite leeway in which books you want to use. It is just important to have appropriate books and resources available so that the child has access to information and can research in an appropriate manner to their level.

I plan on putting the card in a page protector with a sheet of computer paper. My kids and myself can make notes of good resources, links, movies, etc as we go on the paper. Having it all in one place and making it that they can cross off the list as they go. :)

The recommended books sound like what I saw too. I clicked through all of the pages. Sometimes the hands-on stuff was near the end. I do think it is very much set up in a way you can use what you have or what you can get at your library.

:iagree: Or research online. :)

Anyone know if they will be offering pdf versions of these? I hate paying shipping to Australia and would much rather be able to print these off myself. I'll probably wait until my kids are a little older so maybe they will be offering it by then. Love these!

Anyone know if they will be offering pdf versions of these? I hate paying shipping to Australia and would much rather be able to print these off myself. I'll probably wait until my kids are a little older so maybe they will be offering it by then. Love these!

I'd love to see pdf's too please!

I plan on putting the card in a page protector with a sheet of computer paper. My kids and myself can make notes of good resources, links, movies, etc as we go on the paper. Having it all in one place and making it that they can cross off the list as they go. :)

Oooohhhh....I like this idea!!