Menu

Looking for all scheduling ideas that DO NOT consist of tearing workbooks

parias1126

Don't get me wrong! I loved my file box last year for many reasons. The main one was it helped keep me on track and things actually got done. What I didn't like is that the curriculum I changed ended up being thrown out like CLE Math. I can't schedule MUS like that because I dont ever know how long it will take my DC to understand the concept in each lesson.

I really need some lesson Planning ideas so I can get more motivated! I haven't gotten anything done and I feel like I'll never be ready to start school. I would love a planning idea that will motivate me to start planning so we can start on Aug 22nd! I did love my DC having their own notebook of things to do each week filed under each individual day. Workboxes are difficult because they take up too space.

We store all of each student's materials needed for the week in a sturdy, stackable plastic crate (the price on that link is for 6 crates; Target has them individually for about $3-4 each). On top of the materials (or, you could keep them in a 3-prong folder), I made a one-page schedule chart of all the week's work (days of the week across the top, subjects down the side), with book title abbrev. and page numbers of each item to accomplish for each day, with a little checkbox in the upper left corner of each item so I, or DC, could check off items as they completed them. I write out the schedule the weekend before, and I write the schedule in pencil so it can be adapted as needed throughout the week.

See the Donna Young website for free downloadable printable schedules and planners, or for ideas for creating your own planners and schedules.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added details

I'm always curious as to why some feel they need to schedule out programs like MUS...why can't you just move along day after day picking up where you left off the previous day? If you need to do all 6 practice pages then your still on track..if you only need 1 practice page then your still on track. I'm not being snarky, I truly wonder what the benefit is to writing out "lesson x on day y, lesson z on day a".

When I started homeschooling I scheduled out every single lesson of every program and quickly realized that it was an exercise in frustration. I couldn't think of why I really needed to do it. Is it that you are more rigid in how many days you are 'in session' and you are trying to make sure you get the program completed by the end of your school year? Is it that you have to have it for recording purposes? Again, not being snarky, just nosy.:D

Edited to add: what I'm thinking about may not even be what your talking about...if not then just ignore me. LOL!

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

I'm always curious as to why some feel they need to schedule out programs like MUS...why can't you just move along day after day picking up where you left off the previous day? If you need to do all 6 practice pages then your still on track..if you only need 1 practice page then your still on track. I'm not being snarky, I truly wonder what the benefit is to writing out "lesson x on day y, lesson z on day a".

When I started homeschooling I scheduled out every single lesson of every program and quickly realized that it was an exercise in frustration. I couldn't think of why I really needed to do it. Is it that you are more rigid in how many days you are 'in session' and you are trying to make sure you get the program completed by the end of your school year? Is it that you have to have it for recording purposes? Again, not being snarky, just nosy.:D

Edited to add: what I'm thinking about may not even be what your talking about...if not then just ignore me. LOL!

The MUS example was just that...an example. I don't schedule MUS. Maybe I said it wrong in my initial post. I have a ton of other stuff that needs scheduled other then just math. I also use Singapore with MUS so math does need to be scheduled right along with everything else.

And.. I do need to do some type of scheduling/planning to keep myself on track or things won't get done like many others here.

I make a one page weekly checklist for each dc. I list the day of the week and under it the names of the subjects they should work on.

Here is a sample:

MONDAY

BIBLE: Read and write your thoughts about--

MATH (45 min.):

MEMORY WORK (10 min.):

SPELLING (20 min.):

TRAMPOLINE RECESS (15 min):

TYPING (15 min): Mavis Beacon

PIANO (15 min): enjoy

READING (60 min.) :

HISTORY:

SCIENCE :

LOGIC:

GRAMMAR:

LATIN:

When I am doing lesson planning, I print off this sheet and make small notations in pencil about which particular spelling lesson, pages to read for history, required reading, etc. My dc in logic stage are able to take this checklist and run with it. At the end of the day, when I sit down to do our subjects together (latin, grammar, logic) I ask them if they have their other subjects done, we talk about them, etc.

For the younger grammar stage crowd, I also print off a checklist. They are motivated to get things checked off, but I still provide daily direction about which particular MUS lesson to do, etc. DD8 loves to see things "checked off". DS6 isn't reading well enough yet to really get the whole checklist thing, but he will understand it by mid year, i think.

I like this planning for our family because it moves my kids to more independent learning. They feel responsible for their education. THey know enough to do the next spelling lesson without me having to write down, DO LESSON 25. Secondly, it's not too hard on me--I print off the generic form and then pencil in specifics as needed. It's easy for me to glance at the checklist to keep us on track during the day for the grammar stage kiddos.

I don't have room in my place for file boxes and such. Nor the energy needed to prepare them.

On Saturday night I copy off a weeks schedule for my boys. I fill it out for Sunday. Sunday night, after school, I fill it out for Monday. It's part of my evening routine.

After writing out the schedule and adding any checkboxes, I then go to the printer and print off what I need: Grammar worksheet from KISS, Copywork I make out myself, a blank copy for narration, a blank copy for spelling from Wheeler's Speller, and the lesson from Wheeler's if I need it (some pages have more than one lesson) and math worksheets from Math Mammoth or MEP. I also will copy anything I need from SOTW, along with a blank for narration for history or science depending on what is scheduled.

These pages I file in two folders-each child has a Math/Language Arts folder and a History/Science Folder. The next day, as the lessons are done, they go right back in the folders for filing in notebooks at night.

No pain, and it keeps us on track.

I don't have any written schedule at all. I record what is done, but I do not write down a schedule or to-do list. I keep the workbooks in a stack and just work through the stack on the days we use them - just do the next pages in each one. For anything that I print from the computer, I print it ahead of time and staple it into work packets and those get stacked with the workbooks. Some lessons are done on the computer and the kid goes back and forth between the stack and the computer. I do not plan each day...any day that we are home enough to do school, we work through the stack. I also stick SOTW and other books into the stack so I don't forget to use them. I "prepare the stack" each evening. I doubt this has a name, but it works here !

I don't have any written schedule at all. I record what is done, but I do not write down a schedule or to-do list. I keep the workbooks in a stack and just work through the stack on the days we use them - just do the next pages in each one. For anything that I print from the computer, I print it ahead of time and staple it into work packets and those get stacked with the workbooks. Some lessons are done on the computer and the kid goes back and forth between the stack and the computer. I do not plan each day...any day that we are home enough to do school, we work through the stack. I also stick SOTW and other books into the stack so I don't forget to use them. I "prepare the stack" each evening. I doubt this has a name, but it works here !

This is exactly how we work too. No pre-planned lessons other then any unit studies I would like to do. I record in my planner as we go.

I've gone to using HST+. It's a learning curve up front, but I think it's a great scheduling tool.

I've entered in all our lessons in every subject for each kid. I also made binders this summer for each subject and we're just keep the workbooks in tact for the few subjects that have workbooks. A lot of subjects are just "do the next thing".

So, at the beginning of the week I'll enter in all the lesson plans for each child. I'll print out a list for each child of the things that need to be completed that week. My older ones are more independent with that, my younger two I help along more.

It's easy enough to add in lessons if we get further or reschedule lessons we didn't get to. We're never behind... just move things if needed. All their actual work is in binders so no need to refile anything.

It took some time to learn up front, but I'm hoping to see the payoff this next year. :001_smile:

This year we are using index cards to organize each of our subjects into weekly portions.

My supplies: one clear and lockable 4 X 6 index card box, index card dividers (I turn the a-z tabs backwards and sharpie numbers to correspond to weeks), colored cardstock and/or 4 X 6 index cards, colored paper clips, zippered pencil pouches with a clear front.

I color-coded the cards per subject, and one card holds a week's worth of assignments. Some of the cards are just fill in what was completed, while others are detailed and specific. Each child stores their stack of weekly cards, kept together with a paper clip color-coded by child, in a pencil pouch with a clear front. At the end of the week, I gather the stacks of cards with paper clips and drop them into the card file box behind the proper week divider. I use colored cardstock with a horizontal, 4 postcard per sheet template to print cards from my computer. After the sheet of cardstock is cut into quarters using the paper-cutter, each card measures 4.25 X 5.5 inches.

This method of using cards with weekly goals by subject has helped me to keep track of everyone (seven children: five school aged, two littles). It is more visual and flexible than a lesson plan book with combined subjects and takes less space than workboxes.

ETA: I must admit that some of the task cards from http://creekedgepress.com/ are calling my name. These will give you an idea as what our weekly homemade cards look like. Happy Homeschooling.

Edited by LivingHope