Menu

Funnix

oraetstudia

I downloaded Funnix math when it was offered for free and my four year old has been loving it and asking to do it often. I missed the freebie offering of Funnix reading, but I'm wondering if I should get it for him too. I've always used 100 Easy Lessons with my kids and I know Funnix is by the same guy.

Does anyone use Funnix for their beginning reading program? Is it enough to get kids reading?

I used 100EL with my first, then started Funnix with my 2nd after she'd done 70 of the 100EL. She did about half of Funnix and we did finish 100EL.

Funnix pros:

1) self-directed (you can sit nearby just in case), so not nearly as parent-intensive as 100EL

2) thorough

3) dd liked the workbook

Funnix cons:

1) self directed (eventually dd really missed doing 100EL WITH me, it was our special time; even tho we did other readers, eventually this is why we went back to 100EL),

2) not adaptable (it goes at a constant rate, which is probably a better rate than 100EL (which seems to have a couple tripping points), but can be boring

3) blending missing -- one of the things I LOVE LOVE LOVE about 100WL is the emphasis on blending from day 1, but Funnix is the traditional "mm - aa -- t" and it really seemed to set dd back in her blending, something 3mo later her reading is finally starting to sound more fluid.

4) first day thought, "OMG I'm clicker training my child!" :lol: There is a persistent "click" when the child is supposed to respond, a little too much like dog training. :D

So, Funnix is a good program. It was great for a dd whom I wanted to have extra practice to help crispen her speech, and it was VERY nice to have it more hands off with a 2nd grader and a toddler in tow.

Sooo, now with dc #3, what will I do? I plan to start with 100EL and only use Funnix if he needs a little shake up (even tho I do think it undermines some of 100EL wrt blending). There is just something so precious about having your child's first experience with homeschooling being curling up together on the couch and doing 100EL.

Edited by ChandlerMom

I used 100EL with my first, then started Funnix with my 2nd after she'd done 70 of the 100EL. She did about half of Funnix and we did finish 100EL.

Funnix pros:

1) self-directed (you can sit nearby just in case), so not nearly as parent-intensive as 100EL

2) thorough

3) dd liked the workbook

Funnix cons:

1) self directed (eventually dd really missed doing 100EL WITH me, it was our special time; even tho we did other readers, eventually this is why we went back to 100EL),

2) not adaptable (it goes at a constant rate, which is probably a better rate than 100EL (which seems to have a couple tripping points), but can be boring

3) blending missing -- one of the things I LOVE LOVE LOVE about 100WL is the emphasis on blending from day 1, but Funnix is the traditional "mm - aa -- t" and it really seemed to set dd back in her blending, something 3mo later her reading is finally starting to sound more fluid.

4) first day thought, "OMG I'm clicker training my child!" :lol: There is a persistent "click" when the child is supposed to respond, a little too much like dog training. :D

So, Funnix is a good program. It was great for a dd whom I wanted to have extra practice to help crispen her speech, and it was VERY nice to have it more hands off with a 2nd grader and a toddler in tow.

Sooo, now with dc #3, what will I do? I plan to start with 100EL and only use Funnix if he needs a little shake up (even tho I do think it undermines some of 100EL wrt blending). There is just something so precious about having your child's first experience with homeschooling being curling up together on the couch and doing 100EL.

I just wanted to add that Funnix was not self-directed at all here. I cuddled up in bed with my kids and the laptop and I controlled the computer pad. That is how Funnix is designed to be used, but, if I had a child who could have just taken off with it on their own, it's possible I would have let them.

lisa

My 4 year old completed 100 EL two months ago and we switched to Funnix to continue reading lessons. I didn't like doing the lessons on the computer for several reasons so I bought the reading text books named Horizons Learn to Read Level A books 1-3 and Level B books 1-3, which is where they got the material from Funnix. I bought each book used from Amazon books from around 6 to 12 dollars each. We started on Level A book 3 to review, but if you complete 100 EZ lessons and your child doesn't need any review then you can go right to Level B, which is a second grade level. When you finish the 150 lessons in Level B, your child will be ready for any third grade level textbook.

I started Funnix with my son last year but he wasn't ready- too wiggly, not enough of an attention span to finish a lesson. But I did like what I saw of it and thought that it would work well if I waited a while to try again- so I may try it again this fall in conjunction with OMK. (I had downloaded it for free back when it was available. I had also downloaded the free math program but haven't even looked at it yet. My son seems to like numbers and "math" (even though we haven't done any formal math whatsoever yet), so maybe we'll try the Funnix math this fall, too. We'll see!)