Menu

Does this resource exist?

creekmom

I'm not really a help. But Florida's Educational Technology Clearinghouse has free clipart of famous people. It also may have some of the places/landmarks you're interested in, scattered through Architecture and Countries & Regions, or in color in one of the categories over at ClipPix ETC. Or, of course, just pick up one of those glossy full-colored tourist guides or coffee-table books from the library on the country in which you're interested.

If you want a little more guidance, you could go with the Fandex series. There's Explorers, Composers, Painters, and Presidents, for example. Or there's the Picture History series by Gillian Clements, which covers Explorers, Inventors, and Buildings that she has deemed "Great." Then, of course, there's Usborne Illustrated EVERYTHING, that'll probably have what you want, as well.

Really, you'll probably have to narrow down what you want a little more, and you'll find plenty of books available to give it to you. Or you can look it up yourself, whether at the ETC site linked above or on Google Images.

I'm looking for a book that has pictures of people from history that everyone should know. -I'd also love a book of famous places/landmarks etc. that everyone should know. Thanks for your help!

For the second, I have found the Childcraft volume called Places to Know useful. It's international in scope but has a Western focus (plenty of US buildings), not so much from, say, Africa. It does have the Hiroshima peace monument and the Taj Mahal, I can recall, in my edition.

For the second, I have found the Childcraft volume called Places to Know useful. It's international in scope but has a Western focus (plenty of US buildings), not so much from, say, Africa. It does have the Hiroshima peace monument and the Taj Mahal, I can recall, in my edition.

I still have the entire Childcraft Encyclopedia set from when I was a little girl. The Places to Know volume was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned famous places/landmarks :001_smile:

My boys enjoyed doing the Usborne Sticker Atlas of the World. It includes many world landmarks. A similar title is Places of the World sticker book by Paragon Publishing ("Action Sticker book series"), which I picked up on a clearance table at our local bookstore a few years back. It has a two-page spread of landmarks, both natural (e.g. Niagara Falls) and human-made for each of the following areas--The Americas, Europe and Africa, Asia and Australasia--and included some items I didn't even know about.