Menu

Single or Double Crusted Pie?

Is there a rule about which kinds of pie are supposed to have a single crust vs. a double crust? I've been making a lot of fruit pies and it just "seems" like they need to have a double crust. Calorie-wise, I'd love to just make a single crusted blueberry or peach pie, though. Is that just wrong? Wondering if there's any rules about this stuff.

I say, your kitchen, your rules (though you might want to figure out how to keep blueberry from exploding all over your oven).

In our house, we prefer a top "crust" in the form of a crumb topping (butter/flour/sugar). It's not low-cal though :D

If the crust is too high-cal, why not just cook the fruit in a pot and serve in bowls with some whipped cream.

Maybe you can request recipes for low-carb fruit crisp with oatmeal topping :bigear: (no bottom crust)

Is there a rule about which kinds of pie are supposed to have a single crust vs. a double crust? I've been making a lot of fruit pies and it just "seems" like they need to have a double crust. Calorie-wise, I'd love to just make a single crusted blueberry or peach pie, though. Is that just wrong? Wondering if there's any rules about this stuff.

My sil makes the best blueberry pie--single crust! She got tired of making a double crust pie so she just quit. And the pie tastes just as good, if not better, because it's more fruity now rather than more bready.

I've always thought the double crust was for gooey/runny pies to help hold them together. So if you want to make a single crust fruit pie, you would make the filling thicker so it wouldn't be insanely messy.

Although now that I think about it, I have never heard of any rule regarding pie crusts, so I may just be talking out my...er, making that up. :tongue_smilie: